SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Help with USMLE !!!!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Stomatologist, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Hello folks,

I really need some help. My father is a foreign trained doctor with more than 25 years of expertise. He is now 54, and was initially a little uneasy about taking the licensing exams (He has been in the States for 3 years). Finally, he has decided to prepare and take them.

According to your experience, which are the best preparation materials for the USMLEs both step I and II. Is it Kaplan?
    Is it better to take step II first and then step I?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hello, I am currently studying in Hungary, from Iowa. I can tell you that Kaplan is highly recommended. I am currently studying for the USMLE step I, and the materials I am using are -
    Kaplan notes three volume series, along with the Kaplan Q bank,
    High Yield Gross Anatomy
    High Yield Embryology
    High Yield Neuroanatomy
    BRS Behavioral Science, or High Yield
    Lippincott Biochemistry
    Medical Microbiology and Immunology - Examination and Board review.
    BRS Pathology
    Lippincott Pharmacology
    BRS Physiology
    I will attend the 13 week Kaplan course in Chicago this summer. Obviously, this is too much, but I have already been through a few of the books, and only refer to others.
    Please E-mail me if you have further questions.

4. aliraja

aliraja Troublemaker 10+ Year Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Get yourself the current edition of First Aid for the USMLE... in the back, they've got a list and ratings of all the prep books and courses and what not. Good stuff and a great starting place.