Help! wut are some schools that require 2 LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherriver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
K so the professor that I've been trusting the whole time to write me a LOR just retired over the summer. We had a fairly good relationship, he was my clinical advisor for a year and bam! he retires. Of course I did not know this until recently when I tried to contact him. Can't get a hold of him or wutsoever. Now I'm just really bummed out. Worked sooo hard for this moment and now I can't even apply just b/c of one LOR. I'm contacting all my former profs to write me a LOR but not working out well. Any suggestions on wut I can do? ALso, any schools that require only 2 LOR's? Does not matter if it's psyd phd counselling... wutevers. I know Yeshiva psyd is one. Anywhere else? Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Its a little late to be asking for LORs now. Its late Nov. Why did you wait so long? You cant just get a former professor you barely know to write you a LOR for you. What would they say?" he got an A in my class and was pretty nice?" The program can see that from a the trasncript.

Most if not all programs require 3 letters. I would suggst wating a year and applying to places that are good fits for you...and using appopriate letter writers. Yes, it matters if its ph.d or psy.d, both for you and your career and the letter writer, as the 2 program are looking for different things in LORs) This is the next 5 years of your life and your career for goodness sake! Dont rush it.

Last edited:
thnx for the advice. its just hard to accept that i have to wait another year just b/c of 1 LOR. i already waited for a year to get more research experience and this **** pops up.. sad sad == but still do recommend me some schools... thnx

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up asking a professor for an emergency letter of recomendation when I found out one of my professors flaked out and I was worried that a second might as well (I had one extra as a backup). He only knew me a little outside class, but I explained my situation to him and he scheduled a meeting for us to get to know each other a little more to give him stuff to write about. I don't think it's so uncommon for one of your letters to just be a professor who you got along well with who gave you an A. If your other recomendations are solid that should be fine (it was for me).

Most of my deadlines were not until mid January so I'd think that you would still have plenty of time to find a backup. But I guess it varies from place to place.

It is not smart to pick a program (any program) based on how many LOR, GRE, etc. Clinical programs, moreso than medical schools and other professional schools, have a much higher need for "fit". If you are not a good fit, it won't matter if you have 2 LOR or 12 LOR.

CIIS is a psy d program. Last I knew, they asked for 2. I've caught wind they may be in some kind of accreditation snafu. But that's strictly here-say found in this forum.