Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony729

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I just received my mcat score and I am beyond bummed out. Got a 14 when I was averaging the low to mid twenties. I have a CGPA 3.8 and SGPA 3.6. Lots of volunteering, shadowing and organizations. First question is do SGU, Ross, AUC and AUA combine highest mcat subsection? Most importantly do I have a chance at any of these schools, even if its the MERP or Foundation program? Please help I am freaking out and reconsidering even going to medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you get a 14 with a 3.8 cGPA? A 14 is really really low, I would reconsider medicine especially if you tried your best/this is not your first time taking it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Today I just received my mcat score and I am beyond bummed out. Got a 14 when I was averaging the low to mid twenties. I have a CGPA 3.8 and SGPA 3.6. Lots of volunteering, shadowing and organizations. First question is do SGU, Ross, AUC and AUA combine highest mcat subsection? Most importantly do I have a chance at any of these schools, even if its the MERP or Foundation program? Please help I am freaking out and reconsidering even going to medical school.

First of all, I don't think any of these schools will take a 14 MCAT for any program, and that's almost certainly a good thing.

Broken record time. Second of all, you need to figure out why you scored so below your expectations. If you decide to go into medicine, at a bare minimum your next 7 years are going to be intermittently punctuated by exams that are harder than the MCAT. Don't play with fire like that. Buckle down, study hard, take several practice exams under exam conditions, see a therapist/take up meditation/do something if you have bad test anxiety. Don't re-sit the exam until you can consistently get a 25+.

Why would you take the MCAT if you were only averaging low to mid 20 scores? Personally, I felt I was ready after low to mid 30s. Anything less is doing yourself a disservice.

A 14 MCAT is low for your GPAs...You probably have no chance at the big 4, but might have a shot at AUA. However, the problem with AUA is that they don't have federal loan, which might be a hassle... I would recommend a retake and if your score remains in the 10s, you should re-evaluate your desire to pursue med school. If you get in the 20s, I think you will have a chance at ROSS/SGU/AUC... Maybe you should also take a look at podiatry if you are not averse to surgery.

One thought! Are you SURE there was not an error in your examination from MCAT?? Sounds like a 14 score is for 2 parts???? Best to call the MCAT to ask....