Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denise00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i'm starting college this august for the first time. I'm starting at a community college then transfering to a 4year school. could someone tell what classes i should take my first two years or does it really matter i plan to major in Biology.
thanks

Denise

Members don't see this ad.

Denise00,

You will need to take 1 year of Bio. Most likely General(1st Semester) and Zoo or Bot. for the Second. 1 year of Physics, usually trig. based. 1 year of Organic. Most schools look at this grade specfically to tell if you have some of the "right" stuff. And finally 1 year of inorganic chem. You should be able to get these done in two years if you concentrate. You will also save a huge amount of money going the CC route. Remember that the Med. school will look very closely at your MCAT score since you will have attended a CC. Try to do the best you can and work with your professors to getting the most out of each course. You can make it!!! Don't let others discourage you. The path to being a Doctor and filled with challenges. Good Luck.

Make friends with your O-chem teacher, and get an 'A' in his/her class. Before you move on to a university, ask them to write you a letter of recommendation for medschool. It can be a lot harder getting good rec's. from professors in big universities. While you're at it, I'd get as many of the pre-med courses taken care of in CC (save $$, better grades.) As for being a Bio major, if that's what you're interested in, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be sure all the courses you take at your two-year college will transfer to your four-year college of preference. Often times, they don't, although your major requirements such as chem and bio should. Sometimes, you have to take two semesters of a class at one school for it to count as one at another. You should be able to go the web page of your preferred four-year college and get course transfer equivalencies, although it's a bloody mess sometimes trying to find where they're buried!

Best of luck in your college career!

[This message has been edited by Socceroo4ever (edited 07-31-2000).]

I just want to think all of you that replied.
Know i know the classes that i should take and the ones i can't take know i'll take when i transfer.
The classes that i take are transferable to a the University i plan on transfering to. Actually the two schools work together very closely and some classer are taught at the university instead of the college so i'm set as set as far as transfering goes.
thanks againg to all that replied

Denise

Actually, I noticed you're from Florida. Aren't most of the schools in Florida pretty well tied together? If I'd paid attention to that earlier... anyways! Here in North Carolina it's a lot more difficult to transfer courses from a community college to a large four-year university like Duke or UNC.

Mmm... Florida... the good ol' days....
wink.gif