Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lswa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm working on my VMCA's application and I'm having a difficult time quantifying/ classifying a significant amount of experience I've had. My father is a veterinarian, and I grew up going on calls with him from the time I was a little kid (while he was in private practice). My early childhood is littered with memories of waking up in the middle of the night going to pull calves, taking care of stray animals at the clinic, and having to sit in the truck at hog operations (for bio-security reasons). Most of the time I was not at school, I spent going on calls with him because if I didn't, I never got to see my dad.

Later on, he worked 3 years in a veterinary pathology/diagnostic laboratory at a major midwest university while working on his PhD, where I spent some time at their respective vet school. He also worked for a large scale Food Animal production company for 5 years, which gave me the opportunity to go to annual AVMA meetings, AASV meetings, and meet lots of his colleagues. I didn't get to go into the meetings, but I did get to go to dinners/lunches with some of his business associates, and I got to join in on a lot of conversations with experienced and well respected Veterinarians

Because of my fathers profession I feel like I have a deep understanding for the veterinary profession, and also have a lot of experience. I have a good idea about the relationship a veterinarian has with a community, the importance of continuing education, and about the challenges assosciated with raising healthy and wholesome food for the world.

My question is, how do I quantify all of these experiences for the VMCA application? I don't want to list my father as a contact/supervisor for veterinary experience, but how do I not count all of this experience? I do have experience with other veterinarians, and it wasn't like I interned with my father. The past 5 years I've had a good number of other experiences where I've made many of my own connections and experiences that will look good on my application. But I lived with a veterinarian for 19 years! How do I quantify this kind of experience into a set number of hours when it is literally almost unlimited?

Any suggestions are welcome, TIA!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I spent 21 years (aka my entire life) breeding and showing dogs. It's not the same as your experience, but I think it's similar in that it's difficult to quantify. I picked an arbitrary number and then used the description of duties to clarify what I did and what kind of experience this was. My estimated number is almost certainly an underestimate... but it seemed to me that 10,000 hours with the description of what I did was plenty. I don't think I'm going to impress them more by listing an obscene number.

If you did actual work for your father then I don't see why you can't list him as your supervisor. It's not like you're trying to use him as a reference, you're just saying "this is who was responsible for my work".

Also, if this was such significant experience for you then I'm guessing it will probably end up tied into your personal statement.

FYI though, I'm a first time class of 2020 applicant so I don't know much of anything. Hopefully people with more experience have some opinions for you.

I don't want to list my father as a contact/supervisor for veterinary experience, but how do I not count all of this experience? I do have experience with other veterinarians, and it wasn't like I interned with my father.
Guesstimate an amount of hours per week and add it in as vet experience and list his practice with his name.