HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agonz5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, so I posted here a couple weeks ago but only got a couple responses so I thought I would post again to get some more opinions.

So story time-I've wanted to be a vet since middle school but never really did any research into the professon. My parents were excited that I wanted to be a doctor and had a passion for something, something they never had. Junior year of high school I started voulenterring at a dog rescue in my town and a little less than a year later I got hired as a kennel tech on the weekends there and still voulenteered during the week at the kennel,plus more time helping with transports, scheduling voulenteers, running fundraisers and running the rescues social media. On top of that with school going on I still never did research even on undergrad schools and applied to them blindly, got accepted into the school I am currentlya freshman in which has a tech/pre vet program. I got through my first semester with my lowest grade a b-, but now I'm having fears for my future.

Over winter break I actually sat down and did the math of how much I will owe in loans just after undergrad. I don't get much financial aid, and my parents never had a chance to save up money for my schooling. I only have a 2,000 dollar honors scholarship but since my school is out of my home state (I live in jersey, school is in New York) I'm still paying 25,000 a year to be here. Doing the math coming out of this school I will be paying 2,000 a month in loans. I am appylying for scholarships now but that is not a garentee of course.

I talked to one of the programs professors this morning and basically have 2 choices within the program. Stick with my pre vet major which will mean I have to retake the 101 class (I missed the grade by a point grrrr), change my major to vet tech where would take the VTNE but I won't get all my pre reqs for vet school and have to stay here an extra 2 years, take the classes over breaks, or at a community college near home. I would have the back up of having a tech license but is it plauseable to say I could pay more than 2,000 a month toward loans for 15 years? A licenses is also not needed in New Jersey, so I don't see the point even though my professor is kinda pushing me that way saying most hospitals are asking for LVTs.I want to be able to move out of my parents home eventually~ I could also change majors, but how I see it is say I major in bio...what can I do with that degree if I don't get into vet school? I would have to go back to school be able to do anything. The degree that I get in the vet program at my school scares me too, "bachelors in science"

I am totally freaking out on what to do. I'm even considering going to a community college next year to figure things out. I've never worked in the hospital environment and don't even know if it's right for me anymore. Ive tried applying to be a kennel assistant or vet assistant and ask for shadowing opportunitys but nothing is working out. I want to be a vet but the money situation is not working out in my head right now. I want to be able to have kids and spend time with them, have a nice house and not have to worry about money. I don't see that happening with being a vet, but I've NEVER thought of being anything else. HELPPPP

Members don't see this ad.

hey, so I posted here a couple weeks ago but only got a couple responses so I thought I would post again to get some more opinions.
Me waiting for the sassy SDNers to respond:
tumblr_o08dsgJ9na1tgz4rco1_400.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Is it a bachelors IN science or a bachelors OF science? For instance, I have a BS in anthropology and biology. Changing your major to biology shouldn't really impact the direction of your life in any long term way except that you'd graduate with a BS in biology instead of pre-vet studies (or whatever the official title is.) The idea that you wouldn't be able to get any sort of job (in field) because you have a biology degree is silly, or at least it is in my experience. Your degree gives you an educational background yes, but your overall experiences are just as important when it comes to finding a job. The vaaaaaaaaaaast majority of the bio majors that I know (I hesitate to say all, but it's probably all) have jobs where their title isn't 'Biologist' but would still be considered within the bio field.

It just seems like you need to do some soul searching. If you want to be a tech, get your LVT. If you want to be a vet, find a way to take the pre-reqs at the lowest possible cost to you. If you want to have a family with lots of family quality time, maybe think about going back to vet school later on in life, maybe after a chance to save up money so it wouldn't impact you as much financially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a bachelors IN science or a bachelors OF science? For instance, I have a BS in anthropology and biology. Changing your major to biology shouldn't really impact the direction of your life in any long term way except that you'd graduate with a BS in biology instead of pre-vet studies (or whatever the official title is.) The idea that you wouldn't be able to get any sort of job (in field) because you have a biology degree is silly, or at least it is in my experience. Your degree gives you an educational background yes, but your overall experiences are just as important when it comes to finding a job. The vaaaaaaaaaaast majority of the bio majors that I know (I hesitate to say all, but it's probably all) have jobs where their title isn't 'Biologist' but would still be considered within the bio field.

It just seems like you need to do some soul searching. If you want to be a tech, get your LVT. If you want to be a vet, find a way to take the pre-reqs at the lowest possible cost to you. If you want to have a family with lots of family quality time, maybe think about going back to vet school later on in life, maybe after a chance to save up money so it wouldn't impact you as much financially.
it would be a "Bachelors of science- Vet Tech w/ concentration of pre vet studies". I agree that i need to do some soul searching. I'm going to finish out this semester (since i already paid for it and cant get my money back) and I'm talking with my parents about going back home and doing community college for a year. I can get a job at a hospital and figure it all out and go from there I guess.

I want to be able to have kids and spend time with them, have a nice house and not have to worry about money.

Basically, if these are your goals, I would just run far far far away from veterinary medicine.

Reactions: 5 users
My real answer point by point:

I would have the back up of having a tech license but is it plauseable to say I could pay more than 2,000 a month toward loans for 15 years?

On a tech's salary, there's no way to pay 2,000 a month. That's barely plausible on a vet's salary depending on where you live.

A licenses is also not needed in New Jersey,

This might actually change, I think. There's a lot of talk going around standardizing technician training and credentials.

could also change majors, but how I see it is say I major in bio...what can I do with that degree if I don't get into vet school? I would have to go back to school be able to do anything. The degree that I get in the vet program at my school scares me too, "bachelors in science"

When you pick a major, you pick something you like to do and can get a decent living out of. I actually did get a bio major and had I not gotten into school this year (the last time I was willing to apply), I wouldn't have been using my degree at all. Most bio jobs don't really appeal to me.

I'm even considering going to a community college next year to figure things out

This. Do this if you decide to stick with vet med. Get most of your pre-reqs out of the way this way.

I've never worked in the hospital environment and don't even know if it's right for me anymore. Ive tried applying to be a kennel assistant or vet assistant and ask for shadowing opportunitys but nothing is working out.

You will have to have hours to apply to vet school regardless. I got positions by taking my resume to as many clinics within 20 miles of my parents house as I could in a day. Worth a shot. You need to have the clinical experience before you go this route.

I want to be a vet but the money situation is not working out in my head right now. I want to be able to have kids and spend time with them, have a nice house and not have to worry about money. I don't see that happening with being a vet, but I've NEVER thought of being anything else.

The money situation works out for a very few. One of your biggest concerns will be money for years.

Reactions: 1 user
Basically, if these are your goals, I would just run far far far away from veterinary medicine.
Yes I know. This is a big problem for me also. It's hard for me to say that since I say I don't want kids now I'm gonna feel the same way later. Money used to not be an issue for me, but now that I'm looking into it I'm debating on if putting myself through that stress would be worth it. Of corse animals will always be part of my life and I love them dearly, but my other goals of having a family and being able to pay for life in general is just tearing me apart.

Tried to find your other thread, but it doesn't show up in your posting history.

Regarding the bio major: This is completely my personal (and biased, since I am a bio major) opinion, but I believe a biology degree gives you slightly better backup options than a pre-vet/animal sciences degree if you are not convinced vet med is the path for you. Quite a few of the jobs I have been looking at lately specify that they give preference to bio/Earth science degrees over other options. To be fair, I am mostly looking at ecology/wildlife/conservation positions, but that preference was stated in enough position qualifications for me to take note of it.

I agree with what someone else said above, about taking the time to figure out what you truly want to do, and then doing that via the least expensive means possible.

Reactions: 2 users
How have you been applying for shadowing positions? By e-mail, going in person, calling? Are you following up if you don't hear anything from them?

Try to find a clinic that will let you shadow, even if it's just a few hours a week. Once you get your foot in the door it will be a little easier for you. Go in person, dress neatly, and give them your resume. Tell them that you are interested in veterinary medicine and you were hoping to shadow for a few hours. If it goes well, ask if you can come back. Don't just send out e-mails and give up when you don't hear back. Do you have pets? Where do you take them? Where do your family/friends go? Don't be afraid to name drop - "I'm looking for shadowing opportunities to explore the veterinary field, and so-and-so recommended your clinic to me" or something like that.

How have you been applying for shadowing positions? By e-mail, going in person, calling? Are you following up if you don't hear anything from them?

Try to find a clinic that will let you shadow, even if it's just a few hours a week. Once you get your foot in the door it will be a little easier for you. Go in person, dress neatly, and give them your resume. Tell them that you are interested in veterinary medicine and you were hoping to shadow for a few hours. If it goes well, ask if you can come back. Don't just send out e-mails and give up when you don't hear back. Do you have pets? Where do you take them? Where do your family/friends go? Don't be afraid to name drop - "I'm looking for shadowing opportunities to explore the veterinary field, and so-and-so recommended your clinic to me" or something like that.
I go in and drop off my resume and explain why I'm there. Most places I'm going I'm told they don't allow it due to insurance issues, and they dont have paid positions available. I heard back from an equine clinic and the vet asked me when I can come in, and I haven't heard back. I called today but no one answered. Also heard back about a summer tech job but was told the lady who runs it has been out due to a dealth in the family and when she gets back she will respond to my resume (this was 3 weeks ago). I still have a few places to try but that doesn't take away from deciding on if I should countine this program or not

I go in and drop off my resume and explain why I'm there. Most places I'm going I'm told they don't allow it due to insurance issues, and they dont have paid positions available. I heard back from an equine clinic and the vet asked me when I can come in, and I haven't heard back. I called today but no one answered. Also heard back about a summer tech job but was told the lady who runs it has been out due to a dealth in the family and when she gets back she will respond to my resume (this was 3 weeks ago). I still have a few places to try but that doesn't take away from deciding on if I should countine this program or not
Some thoughts, in no particular order:

1.) Do your undergraduate classes as inexpensively as you can
2.) Don't go to vet tech school unless you want to be a vet tech - it won't get you all of the pre reqs you need for vet school, and there's no reason to have the degree unless that is the career you want
3.) You need veterinary experience before you will know if it is really what you want, and if the expenses are worth it
4.) No one can make up your mind for you
5.) Come up with alternative career ideas - what do you see yourself doing if you're not a vet? - and make your undergrad major whatever will help you get into that field
6.) You don't need to be 'pre vet' to get accepted to vet school, if that's where to decide to go

Reactions: 1 user
Some thoughts, in no particular order:

1.) Do your undergraduate classes as inexpensively as you can
2.) Don't go to vet tech school unless you want to be a vet tech - it won't get you all of the pre reqs you need for vet school, and there's no reason to have the degree unless that is the career you want
3.) You need veterinary experience before you will know if it is really what you want, and if the expenses are worth it
4.) No one can make up your mind for you
5.) Come up with alternative career ideas - what do you see yourself doing if you're not a vet? - and make your undergrad major whatever will help you get into that field
6.) You don't need to be 'pre vet' to get accepted to vet school, if that's where to decide to go
Thank you. I think I'm leaning towards transferring to community college next semester for these reasons. Thanks for the help

Thank you. I think I'm leaning towards transferring to community college next semester for these reasons. Thanks for the help
Good luck!

I tried to find some alternative careers to pursue so I have a semi-plan for if I decide to give up on vet school applications. That's the hardest part, IMO. I've been set on being a veterinarian for so long that it's hard to look outside of vet med and find something else I can be passionate about, or at least like enough to make a career out of it. I like plans, and it's difficult to feel like you don't have one.

Last edited:
My MS pretty much required a BS in Biology or at least most of the same pre-reqs as for vet school.

I am a repro and endocrinology nut, so this was a good back up for me.

The Biology majors I know have better paying careers than the Animal Science majors on average, and almost all are doing better than those of us that chose to be techs (financially and in terms of work hours and stress), but a lot of what made me and others be a vet tech was heart.

But, eventually, I needed to take care of my family and my farm, so I found a better paying career that uses my degree.

I second what many here said. Make a list of backup choices. What do you want to do with life? What makes you actually happy? If you didn't have to think about money at all, what would you go do? Can you still see yourself doing it in 5 years? 10? (And be honest with yourself about whether you have the experience with any of the images that flash through your mind to really know.) And if that image is a hobby like surfing or painting... find a job that will give you the freedom and finances to allow you to do that.