help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asdacs

Reaction score
I have given USMLE step 1 exam passed with 199 score in second attempt. I know I have a very poor score in step 1. Is there any possibility to get residency?? i am an img. i havegreen card

Members don't see this ad.

I have given USMLE step 1 exam passed with 199 score in second attempt. I know I have a very poor score in step 1. Is there any possibility to get residency?? i am an img. i havegreen card
Any possibility? Yes. Likely possibility? No. If you look at the data for imgs in the 2018 match for a less competitive specialty like FM, you have a roughly 25% chance of matching with a 199 step 1 score. That chance, I assume, would also be if you had not failed your first attempt which it sounds like you did. I would also be concerned about passing step 2 CS given clear languages barrier issues.

As such, it's certainly possible that you could match, but I'd estimate you have a less than 1 in 4 chance of matching at best.

Any possibility? Yes. Likely possibility? No. If you look at the data for imgs in the 2018 match for a less competitive specialty like FM, you have a roughly 25% chance of matching with a 199 step 1 score. That chance, I assume, would also be if you had not failed your first attempt which it sounds like you did. I would also be concerned about passing step 2 CS given clear languages barrier issues.

As such, it's certainly possible that you could match, but I'd estimate you have a less than 1 in 4 chance of matching at best.
is there any chance to go with pathology???

We're telling you it's a long shot. Whether you want to take it or not, is up to you. BoardingDoc gave you an excellent resource to review your step scores with match chance. If you're relying solely on internet advice instead of researching on your own, that's not a good sign. There are TONS of resources out there on how to match as an IMG.

GRE, PhD programs won't make up for poor Step scores. For IMGs, Step score is king.

Reactions: 2 users
We're telling you it's a long shot. Whether you want to take it or not, is up to you. BoardingDoc gave you an excellent resource to review your step scores with match chance. If you're relying solely on internet advice instead of researching on your own, that's not a good sign. There are TONS of resources out there on how to match as an IMG.

GRE, PhD programs won't make up for poor Step scores. For IMGs, Step score is king.
I don't want to use GRE,PhD in purpose of residency. but will it be good to pursue my life in the route of medical sciences like immunology, or rather i hope to get residency and study for step 2?? i know with this score i am actually nowhere..i tried to talk some imgs also... no one gave me hope actually..
i know i am annoying..sorry for that.. i need some suggestions

can you just help me?? i am at a loss.. what should i do?? should i do GRE and TOFEL and go for phd programs???then try to give the rest exams or i should continue step 2ck first..
People ARE helping you, you just don’t want to believe it...you have the same shot of getting a residency as you do winning the lottery...

If you are not even willing to do simple research to see what your chances are , then frankly, you don’t seem to have the work ethic to get and get through a residency...

I don't want to use GRE,PhD in purpose of residency. but will it be good to pursue my life in the route of medical sciences like immunology, or rather i hope to get residency and study for step 2?? i know with this score i am actually nowhere..i tried to talk some imgs also... no one gave me hope actually..
i know i am annoying..sorry for that.. i need some suggestions
You need to decide what your end goal is. If you want to practice medicine in the US, pathology would be a field where you would actually stand a chance to match, as ~50% of IMG applicants even with a score <200 managed to match over the last 5 years: Tableau Public . No guarantees, especially since that chart doesn't take into account that this was your second attempt. Realistically, none of this matters until you get a step 2 score--realistically you have no room for further mistakes, and if you get a fail on either CK or CS then you probably need to accept that you're not going to get a US residency.

Getting a PhD actually seems to REDUCE your odds of matching--to 40% in pathology, and in FM your odds go from 25% to 11%. Perhaps a subset of the applicants with a PhD pursued that degree as a perceived way to overcome an especially weak application, for example multiple board score failures or minimal USCE. In any event, none of the residency programs that you could potentially match at are going to be research powerhouses, so the PhD is of little use to them.

So my advice is that if you believe you're not going to be able to match and you're looking for another way to come and train in a science-oriented field in the US by pursuing a PhD, then GRE might be a reasonable option. But I would not go that route thinking that you would be improving your standing for a future residency application. The data does not support that going that route would help.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to decide what your end goal is. If you want to practice medicine in the US, pathology would be a field where you would actually stand a chance to match, as ~50% of IMG applicants even with a score <200 managed to match over the last 5 years: Tableau Public . No guarantees, especially since that chart doesn't take into account that this was your second attempt. Realistically, none of this matters until you get a step 2 score--realistically you have no room for further mistakes, and if you get a fail on either CK or CS then you probably need to accept that you're not going to get a US residency.

Getting a PhD actually seems to REDUCE your odds of matching--to 40% in pathology, and in FM your odds go from 25% to 11%. Perhaps a subset of the applicants with a PhD pursued that degree as a perceived way to overcome an especially weak application, for example multiple board score failures or minimal USCE. In any event, none of the residency programs that you could potentially match at are going to be research powerhouses, so the PhD is of little use to them.

So my advice is that if you believe you're not going to be able to match and you're looking for another way to come and train in a science-oriented field in the US by pursuing a PhD, then GRE might be a reasonable option. But I would not go that route thinking that you would be improving your standing for a future residency application. The data does not support that going that route would help.
Thank you.Thanks a lott for the suggestions. I should try to give a good step 2 ck.. better than step 1.... then see what happens....

Thank you.Thanks a lott for the suggestions. I should try to give a good step 2 ck.. better than step 1.... then see what happens....
Please...study hard for step 2ck, it is harder than step 1 and if you want to give yourself a decent shot at residency...you have to do really well on CK. You already have one failure, you don't want another one.

Please...study hard for step 2ck, it is harder than step 1 and if you want to give yourself a decent shot at residency...you have to do really well on CK. You already have one failure, you don't want another one.
yes.. can you just give me suggestions how should i start.. i started few pages step up to medicine... should i buy uworld right now. and what are the other materials should I use??

Thanks a lott you guys for this kind of inspiration... it will help me a lott

yes.. can you just give me suggestions how should i start.. i started few pages step up to medicine... should i buy uworld right now. and what are the other materials should I use??

Thanks a lott you guys for this kind of inspiration... it will help me a lott
There's a whole forum for this. Please don't clutter the Gen Res forum with Step 2 questions.

Are you still in medical school? Practicing?
If you have the luxury and time...I would buy uworld and do 1st pass...untimed and random...study the explanations+graphs+tables. Then reset it and do a 2nd pass. I don't know about step up to medicine...didn't read it. Supplement that with Online Med Ed for topics that you are struggling with.

Look at your score report for step 1 and see which ones are your lowest sections...maybe study them again because they might show up in clinical vignettes for CK.

You can do it! How far can you go?!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.