Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maude eh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been waived from my position at a medicine prelim program. The official reason according to NRMP was due to a late graduation. According to the program director, however, the waiver was requested once it was determined that I would not receive a temporary physician license in time to start July 1st. I graduated late from medical school as a result of being removed from a heme/onc rotation in mid March. My attending was an dingus. He claimed I missed 3 days in a week without notifying him (even though I told him about the days off in advance - one being for my step 2 exam, another for match day, and the final a scheduled clinic day at a family health center - he contended that I never did and canned me anyways). As a result I was forced to do a pulm make-up rotation for 4 weeks in May. I thought everything would fine in terms of my graduation. In fact, the heme/onc attending stated I was to be removed from the rotation as long as my graduation date remained unaffected. However, I was told this June I would be receiving my diploma on July 23rd rather than the normal May 7th. The reason behind this was due to the fact that I completed my requirements on May 28th - during the official summer term. So even though I finished med school on May 28th, I am now forced to wait until July 23rd to officially graduate. Consequently, I will not receive my license by July 1. The state requires a licensing form to be submitted no earlier than 30 days prior to graduation. My completed application was sent on June 23rd, and given that the state needs 4-6 weeks to process and issue a license, I will receive my license late July at the earliest (much to my program director’s displeasure). To make matters worse, NRMP notified the anesthesia program where I matched and waived their right to my CA-1 position for 2007. I am right now searching/scrambling for a PGY-1 position in hopes that my 2007 anesthesia position remain intact given the cooperation of the program director. The dilemma is this, though. I wasn’t too excited about my assigned anesthesia program prior to this jam, and I had received interviews at some good programs in December. I am tempted to give up, do some research somewhere, and apply again through the match come September. However, I am afraid the recent events may have scarred my application if I do decide to reapply. Namely, the possibility of desireable programs denying me an interview due to having repeated a 4th year rotation due to “unprofessionalism” or a poor step 2 score (even though having taken the exam mid March, my goal was to simply pass given that the results would be available post-match). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

maude said:
My attending was an dingus. He claimed I missed 3 days in a week without notifying him (even though I told him about the days off in advance - one being for my step 2 exam, another for match day, and the final a scheduled clinic day at a family health center - he contended that I never did and canned me anyways)..

Here's my take.

And I'm gonna be frank with you.

It is not your time to be making time-off decisions. It is not your time to be doing anything but showing up for work when asked, doing what is asked of you, and leaving when you are told you can leave.

Bar none.

Is this "right"?

No.

Is the attending you call "an a sshole" really an a sshole?

Maybe.

But it doesnt really matter.

The most successful residents are the ones that realize that, at a resident's point in their lives, other people are making decisions for them, and the more-fluid you are about this humbling, albeit small piece of your life, the more successful you will be.

Show up to work on time. Do what you are expected. Leave when you are expected to/or later. Period. With no exceptions except for personal/family sickness/death.

Think of residency in these terms and you will be very successful.

I may be wrong, Maude, so forgive me. But most situations like yours have some element that lead to the decision. Clandestine to us out here in the internet milleau, yes.

So prove me wrong, swallow your pride, right-whatever-is-wrong, and finish your training.

This is not your time to make decisions....professional, personal, or otherwise.

It is your time to suck it up, show up for work, and do what is expected of you..................

wanna know why I'm posting so "in your face" on this?????????

....because I had some s hit come up during residency....and what I just told you was EXACTLY what my attendings told me.

shut the f uck up, learn to cope, come to work, do your job. Residency is finite.

And they were right.

Keep your head up.

Good luck.

jetproppilot said:
Here's my take.

It is not your time to be making time-off decisions. It is not your time to be doing anything but showing up for work when asked, doing what is asked of you, and leaving when you are told you can leave.

Bar none.

Is this "right"?

No.

Maybe.

The most successful residents are the ones that realize that, at a resident's point in their lives, other people are making decisions for them, and the more-fluid you are about this humbling, albeit small piece of your life, the more successful you will be.

Show up to work on time. Do what you are expected. Leave when you are expected to/or later. Period. With no exceptions except for personal/family sickness/death.

I may be wrong, Maude, so forgive me. But most situations like yours have some element that lead to the decision. Clandestine to us out here in the internet milleau, yes.

So prove me wrong, swallow your pride, right-whatever-is-wrong, and finish your training.

This is not your time to make decisions....professional, personal, or otherwise.

It is your time to suck it up, show up for work, and do what is expected of you..................

....because I had some s hit come up during residency....and what I just told you was EXACTLY what my attendings told me.

shut the f uck up, learn to cope, come to work, do your job. Residency is finite.

And they were right.

Keep your head up.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, but you missed the purpose of the post.

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:
Here's my take.

Bar none.

Is this "right"?

No.

Maybe.

And they were right.

Keep your head up.

Good luck.

lmao jet...wtf are u talking about bro? did you even read his post?

drRumi said:
lmao jet...wtf are u talking about bro? did you even read his post?

OK, did I miss something in my conclusion???

..."I was REMOVED from Hem/Onc in mid march......the attending was an a sshole..."

"...I missed three days in a week..."

Unless I'm missing something here, the above stuff is ...uhhhh......not good.

let me get this straight. you didn't get along with your attending. **** hit the fan and now you have to sort through a lot of red tape. and you want to add to the confusion by using this "opportunity" to back out of your crappy residency in the hopes that you match somewhere better. are you really as stupid as you sound?

footcramp said:
are you really as stupid as you sound?

Please, if you want to act like a hardass on the internet, poindexter, dont do it on my thread.

So let me get this right. You lost your PGY1 position, your Step 2 scores suck, you don't like your CA-1 spot w/c may not be available to you any longer but you think you can get a better position next year. Well good luck to you. I think you may not be giving us all the info here.
Sorry to be so harsh but this is a critical point in your life and you better figure it out. I doubt that anyone here will be able to help you. I think you probably know what it is you must do.

Tough situation. Obviously the best case would be for you to start your prelim year and try to switch (or not) for next year. I would think that your program could have worked with you re: this scenario and found a way to make this okay.

I'm not a resident but if this kind of incident happened 3rd year, you would be begging for a spot anywhere. I'd advise you keep what you have currently if it's still offered.

maude said:
Ive been waived from my position at a medicine prelim program. The official reason according to NRMP was due to a late graduation. According to the program director, however, the waiver was requested once it was determined that I would not receive a temporary physician license in time to start July 1st. I graduated late from medical school as a result of being removed from a heme/onc rotation in mid March. My attending was an dingus. He claimed I missed 3 days in a week without notifying him (even though I told him about the days off in advance - one being for my step 2 exam, another for match day, and the final a scheduled clinic day at a family health center - he contended that I never did and canned me anyways). As a result I was forced to do a pulm make-up rotation for 4 weeks in May. I thought everything would fine in terms of my graduation. In fact, the heme/onc attending stated I was to be removed from the rotation as long as my graduation date remained unaffected.

The attending being an asswhole and showing concern about your graduation being unaffected doesn't add up. An asswhole would NOT care about your graduation. My school gives match day as a vacation day (we HAVE to be there!) and the policy is a day to take Step 2 and any rotation that won't allow this is supposed to tell you up front before selecting it as an elective to prevent this from happening. Your school has no such policies?

maude said:
However, I was told this June I would be receiving my diploma on July 23rd rather than the normal May 7th.

What were you doing May 7!?!?!?!?
On May 6, I would have been attempting to move mountains. May 8, I would have actually moved the mountains. This is your future!!!!

Why did it take until June to figure this out? And if this is an "attending problem" as you allude to, your school could have let you finish on the grounds that you fulfill your responsibilities in the Pulm elective. Why was this not discussed? It is in your institutions best interest to get everybody out and successfully matched.

maude said:
To make matters worse, NRMP notified the anesthesia program where I matched and waived their right to my CA-1 position for 2007. I am right now searching/scrambling for a PGY-1 position in hopes that my 2007 anesthesia position remain intact given the cooperation of the program director.

Will your home instituion work with you on this? Will they give you a prelim year spot?

maude said:
The dilemma is this, though. I wasn’t too excited about my assigned anesthesia program prior to this jam, and I had received interviews at some good programs in December. I am tempted to give up, do some research somewhere, and apply again through the match come September. However, I am afraid the recent events may have scarred my application if I do decide to reapply. Namely, the possibility of desireable programs denying me an interview due to having repeated a 4th year rotation due to “unprofessionalism” or a poor step 2 score (even though having taken the exam mid March, my goal was to simply pass given that the results would be available post-match). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Keep the CA1 spot.

What about this story are you not telling?

So let me get this straight. You've got no PGY-1 spot. You might end up losing your CA1 spot. You are in serious trouble. You've got to beg your way into a PGY1 spot wherever you can, possibly in some state where you can't apply for a medical license until halfway through your PGY1 year, and you've got to do it fast as programs are in the process of starting. And, you need to find out if you'll still have your CA1 spot, which will likely be dependent on finishing PGY1 on time.

Perhaps you can take all your vacation up front and hope that your license comes in time and that the program will let you do that. You can talk to your school since they didn't seem to handle things as well as they could have.

Bottom line is that you can't be picky. You're lucky to have matched in a CA1 spot. I'm sure there were lots of people out there who would have been delighted to match in your program. You've got to work fast to secure a PGY1 spot, and you've got to do your best to keep your CA1 spot because with what I'm hearing about repeating a rotation, not doing so hot on Step 2, you've got some serious strikes against you. It sucks, and I feel for you, but if I'd been in your position, I would have made certain that I was going to be able to graduate on time or find some way to make everything OK. That, however, is all water under the bridge, so now you've got to start doing some serious work starting Monday morning. Start with your school, then I'd call every program in any qualifying specialty and see if they happen to have a PGY1 spot you could take. You'll probably end up in the crappiest of crappy programs, but again, you can't be picky. If they have a spot, then you need to be up front about what's going on. You also need to talk to your anesthesia program. Hopefully you won't have totally screwed yourself.

You can also try again next year. Since you won't be a graduating medical student, you technically don't have to go through the match. But with anesthesia becoming more competitive and programs getting hundreds of applications, the easiest way for them to deal with all the applications is to find a reason to reject you outright and then make their way through the rest of the applications.

I don't intend to sound harsh or unsympathetic. You're in a bad position. From what you've said, quite a few things have gone wrong, but you can't blame everything on that attending. Good luck. You're going to need it.

Are all states requiring trainees to be licensed before the start of their internships? If licensing is a big issue, you might look to a PGY1 spot in New York or California. In the past, they gave you one year to get a license while you are in training. For example, I interned in New York and did my residency in California. As a trainee, I was not required to have any state license until the beginning of my CA2 year or PGY3 year. This was a long time ago so things may have changed.

i've noticed that alot of the anesthesia attendings and residents, at least on this site act righteous and ride high horses. bottom line, **** happens. it's the luck of the draw; you take some reasonable days off and you're considered unprofessional by someone who proabably got slammed themselves by some uptight jerk in medical school. i here you story and i feel for you.

don't listen to these pretty boys with bow ties pointing the finger. if anything, u made a mistake by not making it more clear to this idiot that you needed these days off. but, it shouldn't have caused you all this mess. obviously, it's too late, but did u talk to your dean at ur school?

MedicinePowder said:
don't listen to these pretty boys with bow ties pointing the finger.

yeah, don't listen to your future employers.

MedicinePowder said:
i've noticed that alot of the anesthesia attendings and residents, at least on this site act righteous and ride high horses. bottom line, **** happens. it's the luck of the draw; you take some reasonable days off and you're considered unprofessional by someone who proabably got slammed themselves by some uptight jerk in medical school. i here you story and i feel for you.

don't listen to these pretty boys with bow ties pointing the finger. if anything, u made a mistake by not making it more clear to this idiot that you needed these days off. but, it shouldn't have caused you all this mess. obviously, it's too late, but did u talk to your dean at ur school?

yeah. My above post was self righteous. Right.

Bow tie? Heh heh. Thats a good one. I think theres something in the ASA membership rules that prohibits wearing bow ties.

maude said:
My attending was an dingus. He claimed I missed 3 days in a week without notifying him (even though I told him about the days off in advance - one being for my step 2 exam, another for match day, and the final a scheduled clinic day at a family health center - he contended that I never did and canned me anyways). As a result I was forced to do a pulm make-up rotation for 4 weeks in May... Consequently, I will not receive my license by July 1.

story...
you're hard working and completely innocent.
attending is a jerk and hosed you
now you're screwed, and looking at all options including better programs

i feel for you, but honestly, i don't really buy the story as you're selling it... ;)

you sound pretty resourceful, so i'm pretty confident you'll extricate yourself out of this mess somehow. i'd take this opportunity to seriously think hard about how you got yourself into this mess, and to avoid similar decision making processes in the future, and also the denial and rationalizing that is evident now. you might think these are hard times, but you got off easy. we're in the business where peoples' lives and health are determined by our decisions. miscalculations and poor communication can easily lead to poor outcomes, law suits, possibly worse...

my 2 cents? try hard to practice sound judgment and consistent work ethic. sorry to sound so preachy. :oops: