help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions:
1. What are considered the top 3 schools?
2. What are some of the top residencies?
3. Ohio offered me a presidential scholarship yesturday. My top choice school was Scholl, however they took so long to contact me that my interview isn't until Dec 1 and I have to let OCPM know within one month whether I will accept the offer. I wanted to see if Scholl was going to make a scholarship offer before making my decision, but it is difficult to turn down OCPM on the chances that I won't receive a scholarship from Scholl. Does anyone know how strict they are on these deadlines or if I could ask for an extension from OCPM on my response? Thanks! What at first was very exciting has turned stressful!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions:
3. Ohio offered me a presidential scholarship yesturday. My top choice school was Scholl, however they took so long to contact me that my interview isn't until Dec 1 and I have to let OCPM know within one month whether I will accept the offer. I wanted to see if Scholl was going to make a scholarship offer before making my decision, but it is difficult to turn down OCPM on the chances that I won't receive a scholarship from Scholl. Does anyone know how strict they are on these deadlines or if I could ask for an extension from OCPM on my response? Thanks! What at first was very exciting has turned stressful!!

Iam no expert but here;s my advice:

Dont just look at what school offers you scholarship or what school is best. Make ur descion based upon your convienience also. If you are a native of cleveleland. Just think what a great oppurtunity u have. u already have presedential scholarship and on top of that u have no worry abt residential expenditure which i believe is very high in some cities like Chicago or Cali or NY.

Iam not saying dont come to Scholl. ha ha ha iam going there. But if u r a native of Cleveland or live close by, then i guess its a good economic descion , u will end up with less loan. The reason i chose Scholl over OCPM and AZPOD was bcoz my home is here and i will save thousands of money by staying at my parents home.

I'm from CT, so the location doesn't matter soo much. I've heard great things about Scholl and my fiance toured it when he was visiting family up there (he's not in medicine whatsoever) and said the facilities are really great. I've also heard what a great city Chicago is. I'm looking for the best education I can get and I know that all the schools have their benefits and yes they all award a DPM, so if Scholl isn't going to offer me any scholarship then I think I would be dumb to turn down such a great offer from OCPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions:

1. Top 3 schools are very subjective but in my humble opinion, i believe it should be DMU, Temple, Scholl. Some will say Arizona should be in Top 3 also but again this is subjective. However, number 1 off the bat should be DMU given their residency rate and board scores.

2. Top residencies are plenty, but I think West Penn, Detroit Medical Center, Yale, Loyola, and Ohio State are a sample of many top programs.

3. I don't know if you can ask for an extenstion from OCPM, but worst case senario, why not pay the 250 dollar deposit and check out and visit the other schools anyways? I am a third year student at OCPM and I think its a great school (for me at least) but I don't think you should form your decision after interviewing at just one school. You need to visit at least one or two more schools - and if you have your heart set on Scholl, then you owe it to yourself to at least visit their program and see what they have to offer. I understand the presidential scholarship from OCPM is tempting but in the grand scheme of things, it values so little when you are looking at the large investement you are making in your life for the next 6-7 years.

Good luck!

I have a few questions:

Just my opinion but I believe that DMU, Scholl, and AZPOD are some of the top programs right now. I am unaware of the details of that particular scholarship but a lot of scholarships are conditional. Many schools offer a lot of money up front the first year and then every other year on the condition that you maintain a top 10 ranking or something similar. A ton of people get the scholarship. In other words, a lot of people get a break on the first year of tuition but then lose the scholarship (unless you are able to maintain a top 10 ranking or whatever the condition is). By the 4th year, so many people have jumped around in the rankings that very few still have the scholarship.

So I would say that, unless you are guaranteed money all four years, I would suggest going to see Scholl and a few other schools and not worry so much about the scholarship.

ask OCPM for an extension and be honest with them that you have other interviews at other schools.

If they are not understanding then that is very telling about OCPM. They should want what is best for you. but we all know they just want your money.

I would take the chance that Scholl will accept you and go there over Ohio.

Best of luck.