Help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CGH1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so i need some advice...I'm a freshman Pre-Vet Animal Science major at Ok state...Its finals week and my GPA is going to be lower than desired...I will end up with a C in trig and a C in Chem...how much does this hurt my chances of a future in vet school...i'm really stressed about it and i was wondering if anyone out there was or is in the same boat as me? any advice would be great! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the school(s) you are applying to. My first year average was very low (about 20% lower than my graduating high school average!!) Thankfully, none of those courses were prerequisites for the school I will be applying to...so I didn't stress about it, I just enjoyed first year.

Also it would depend on the strength of your application otherwise, I believe.

I'm not an expert, but I definitely would advise you to not give up hope because of 2 C's in your freshman year. First of all, adcoms know that freshman year is typically a tough transition and people don't always get the whole "college" thing right off the bat. In my experience, a lot of kids didn't have to study at all in high school, assumed the same thing was true to some degree in college, and found out the hard way that it was not. I think as long as you take this semester as a learning experience and improve your study methods in the future you should be fine. They like to see improvement. Also, people that I've spoken to here (University of Florida) always say that vet schools like to see well rounded candidates without 4.0's. I have a C here or there, and I've gotten 2 interviews so far (which I consider pretty good at this point..).

Long story short, C's aren't good, but they're not the end of the world. Just try to improve your GPA in future semesters. With decent experience and GRE scores, you'll definitely have a fighting chance.

I'm a local, PM me if you want any OK State specific info/advice.

In general, you aren't screwed yet. But, you'll need to do better in the future... if you know you'll have problems with chem, go ahead and plan on having a tutor. Free tutoring is offered through academic services here for many classes - that's how I managed physics II - so I would look into that. Like I said, PM me for more info if you're interested. :)