Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Claud05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking Calculus based physics in the fall but i am wondering if you need to have finished Calc I, II and III before you attempt it. Please let me know if you have taken this class or have any idea...
Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be taking Calculus based physics in the fall but i am wondering if you need to have finished Calc I, II and III before you attempt it. Please let me know if you have taken this class or have any idea...
Thank you for your time!

You appear lost, son.

Calc-based physics usually don't require much calc at all. But :luck:

Your school probably has it listed under the pre-reqs for the course, check there. You needed I&II at my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to take Calc II and Calc-based Physics at the same time?
Thank you for the imput btw.

Your school probably has it listed under the pre-reqs for the course, check there. You needed I&II at my undergrad.

This. It varies school-to-school. :thumbup:

I complete calculus based physics (several years ago); from what I recall calc based physics requires knowledge of derivation and integration with and without vectors, nothing much more complicated than that (no series or sequences that I can remember, though maybe I blocked it out).

Good advice from above is to check your schools prereqs.

-senior medical student (T-42 days) / admissions committee interviewer

As said above, check the pre-reqs at your university, and talk to pre-med students who took the course. My university offers both calc-based physics and algebra-based physics. Since I took AP calc 3 or 4 years before the class, I was rusty on my calculus to say the least. I took one semester of calc-based physics and did well (gradewise anyway... I got an A, but it was a real struggle) in the class, but since the class was composed almost entirely of math majors, I quickly got sick of my classmates wanting to spend the whole period deriving the physics equations. I ended up talking to some doctors about it, and they told me calc-based physics is no better than algebra-based. I switched into the algebra-based class for my second semester. I have no idea how the classes operate at your university, but you should do a little research on the classes before enrolling.