Help....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zwander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking the MCAT this Thursday....

Mocha, Espresso, or just regular old coffee? :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm taking the MCAT this Thursday....

Mocha, Espresso, or just regular old coffee? :)

Hmmm...try researching healthy snacks that will give you energy throughout the test. Keeping you focused and giving your brain that extra boost.

Haha my date is coming up I've been debating this as well. Caffeine helps me focus, but it also makes me need to use the bathroom every 15 minutes so it has become quite the dilemma.

Members don't see this ad :)
One good cup of coffee and limit your fluid intake starting the night before. Don't drink more than one bottle of water between bed and test time. I did that, I felt mentally active and didn't have to go to the bathroom the whole time :laugh:.

I brought a soda for after the VR section so I could have some energy to finish out the test and by not having too many fluids, I didn't have to go at all during the test.

I actually dropped my coffee habit before starting MCAT prep, arguably a very stupid move. All I drink is 2 cups of water and I find it to have a really relaxing effect on me during full-length breaks. This also flushes out my system enough so that before I continue the test, I can get pee it all out.

I think most instructors recommend Gatorade or Powerade though, but to be honest, the sweet taste puts me off (even with the diet ones).

definitely feel like having to go pee will be an issue for myself. I normally drink coffee throughout the morning so this will be interesting. I'm going to say go get 1-2 shots of espresso in your coffee, that should keep you going strong :thumbup: I've got mine on the 19th.... too late to stop my addiction now!

Yeah mine is an afternoon test, so hopefully I'll already be semi-awake.

Just in case this helps your decision, OP, I used to work at Starbucks and their plain coffee actually has a TON more caffeine than espresso...a shot of espresso has 70 mg and a tall cup of regular coffee has 240mg. Don't even want to imagine the trenta :)scared: <-- that would be me).

I drank an energy drink throughout the test. Don't freak out and think that you have to down all the caffeine for the whole test right before it. I started drinking it about 10 minutes prior to entering and had a few gulps every break. I had plenty of time to leave the test, get a drink, and go to the bathroom when needed. If I had just downed the whole thing before the test, I might have had issues with having to pee and probably would have been burned out by the end.

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll just grab two cups of coffee test day, one before my hour bus ride, and the other after!

I sipped a redbull on every break I took. Drank water too, worked pretty well. I didn't feel tired at all even after the test.