help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I will be applying to MD schools in the 2013-14 application cycle. Unfortunately, my science GPA is currently a ~3.30 and projected to be a 3.35 in May after spring semester grades. My cGPA is a 3.4. I should clarify that I graduated from college in 2011, and then spent a post-bacc year getting A's and A-'s in upper level science classes. I started working full time in August, took a biochem evening course and will definitely be getting an A in that.

I have an MCAT score of 36, and strong EC's (or so I think). I feel pretty confident going into the application cycle with my below average GPA. However, if I take summer school classes I could have a 3.4 science GPA. Would it be worth it to delay my app until Aug. 5 (when summer school ends), if I could apply with a 3.4 sGPA rather than a 3.35 sGPA? I would already have my LORs and institutional letter of endorsement complete and sent, as well as my MCAT score. As I understand it, you cannot change your GPA on AMCAS once you've been verified, you can only update individual schools with your grades. Bringing up my 3.35 science GPA to a 3.41 science gpa seems significant enough to me...what say you?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I will be applying to MD schools in the 2013-14 application cycle. Unfortunately, my science GPA is currently a ~3.30 and projected to be a 3.35 in May after spring semester grades. My cGPA is a 3.4. I should clarify that I graduated from college in 2011, and then spent a post-bacc year getting A's and A-'s in upper level science classes. I started working full time in August, took a biochem evening course and will definitely be getting an A in that.

I have an MCAT score of 36, and strong EC's (or so I think). I feel pretty confident going into the application cycle with my below average GPA. However, if I take summer school classes I could have a 3.4 science GPA. Would it be worth it to delay my app until Aug. 5 (when summer school ends), if I could apply with a 3.4 sGPA rather than a 3.35 sGPA? I would already have my LORs and institutional letter of endorsement complete and sent, as well as my MCAT score. As I understand it, you cannot change your GPA on AMCAS once you've been verified, you can only update individual schools with your grades. Bringing up my 3.35 science GPA to a 3.41 science gpa seems significant enough to me...what say you?

Thank you.

great MCAT and a decent (not good, but not terrible) sGPA (with a strong upward trend, i assume) along with strong ECs (according to you) will make you competitive at many MD schools.

you still have until next spring to add some final touch ups to your app, so work on that.

but definitely apply for the 2013-2014 cycle, and if you apply early and broadly and not focus too much on the top 20s, then you should get in somewhere.

good luck

Concur here; you should be OK for low-mid-tier schools. Someone with a profile similar to your got into IU, even though he was not an IN resident. So, even with public schools, there's hope. I suggest doing your research and apply strategically when going broadly.

great MCAT and a decent (not good, but not terrible) sGPA (with a strong upward trend, i assume) along with strong ECs (according to you) will make you competitive at many MD schools.

you still have until next spring to add some final touch ups to your app, so work on that.

but definitely apply for the 2013-2014 cycle, and if you apply early and broadly and not focus too much on the top 20s, then you should get in somewhere.

good luck

Don't delay your app for a relatively small gpa boost. Submit on the first day.