School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous_3297

Reaction score
I need help with a school list. I applied to the 2023-2024 cycle with no IIs and was told my problem was my school list had too many low yield/OOS unfriendly schools.
  1. cGPA: 3.59 sGPA: 3.51
  2. MCAT: 514 (130/124/130/130)
  3. VA resident
  4. white
  5. state school undergrad
  6. clinical experience: 5000+ hours of long-term (5+ years), meaningful experience as an ED tech
  7. research: 300 hours split in two labs, no publications, 1 poster presentation
  8. shadowing experience: two orthopedic surgeons, 14 hours, most of my shadowing would be observing ER physicians in the emergency room
  9. non-clinical: 200 hrs with a food bank, 600+ hrs of impactful work with a youth tennis program over 2+ years that teaches underserved kids in my inner city tennis and life lessons, started as a volunteer and am now on staff as a head counselor
  10. other activities: Resident Assistant, Honor Council, TA
  11. No honors or awards other than scholarship awards and deans list
  12. 4 LORs from 1 science prof, 1 PI, 1 director of youth program, and 1 nurse manager of ER
  13. only red flag: IAs, I don’t want to say what they’re for for confidentiality but they are not for cheating and were 4-5 years ago
What can I do for reapplication other than improve my school list? I will still continue to get clinical and non-clinical hours from the activities above, but not sure what else to do. Here is this previous cycles school list:

ucla
suny downstate
mt. sinai
rosalind franklin
pritzker
einstein
gw
wake forest
dartmouth
jefferson
vt
uva
vcu
illinois
fau
temple
usc columbia
tulane
nova southeastern
umiami
tufts
evms
stryker

I don't have any school preferences other than I would like to live in a large urban area with lots of people preferably a big city like new york or chicago. All in all I just need help improving my school list for next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I need help with a school list. I applied to the 2023-2024 cycle with no IIs and was told my problem was my school list had too many low yield/OOS unfriendly schools.
That doesn't explain why you didn't get any attention from your in-state schools, and Virginia is very IS friendly.

That doesn't explain why you didn't get any attention from your in-state schools, and Virginia is very IS friendly.
still waiting to hear back from 1 school, but the other VA schools were actually some of the first to reject me, not sure why

It could be the IAs, depending on the nature of those IAs. Your GPAs are not competitive for half the schools you applied to.
I suggest these schools when you reapply:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
UVA
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, Methodist, Roseman, American University)
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM