Helping dog adjust to vet school move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

langiyo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dog is literally my whole world and I'm bringing him with me to school for a semester. He usually lives with my family back in California while I go to UIUC vet school, he misses me a lot when I go and I miss him as well so I decided to bring him for a semester to see how he feels about it. I was wondering if anyone else has experience helping a dog adjust to moving away from the main fam? It's my second year of vet school, so I'm not a rookie I know it's hard to handle a pet and school but I have planned out my class schedule/living arrangements with him in mind to make sure I'm home with him as much as possible, and that he will get a good run twice a day either with me or his dog walker but I still worry about him missing my family, and being homesick. Like most vet students I'm seriously obsessed with my dog and he is everything to me, the most important part of my life, any advice you have for helping him adjust would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 78
As you probably know, a ton of people in your class have dogs that are pretty well adjusted to their schedule. You could hit up the class on the Facebook page and ask them all what they do to make life easier for their pups.

For my friends in 2020, I know those with active dogs will not spend afternoons on end at the school. Most will go home most afternoons to hang out with their dogs and come in on weekends to work on stuff. I have a house key for a friend's home and will go let her dogs out for her if she'll have a long day.