-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Helping out others in the profession
Started by crazybob
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Like personal issues? Or $$?
Stuff related to work and school I guess. Like what helps you study better for a class or avoid getting into trouble at work.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I totally did all through school, and somewhat thereafter. My notes occasionally became crucial study guides with viral distribution. Part of it was because I typed all my notes, so it was no problem to send them to people. If I had to lend out or photocopy or scan hardcopies, I would have been less generous. But come on, have some faith in karma. I don't know if it helped on a personal or cosmic level, but I gave out notes and class recordings, and others gave me recordings of classes I missed.
Yeah, I do.
Whether or not Gandhi said it, I dig "be the change you want to see in the world". So yeah, I help others whenever possible, especially within the profession.
Our class has a FB page where we swap study guides and such. I do what I can where I can. I would list examples but you never know what someone might consider academic dishonesty and I am not completely anonymous here. I help however I can, but I have to know they need/want it. I am not a mind reader. 😉
I am especially generous with new people at work. I figure the more I help them the more help I will get back down the road. 🙂
If you want help I would say there are two keys to getting it:
1) Ask
2) Be known as willing to pay it back
I am especially generous with new people at work. I figure the more I help them the more help I will get back down the road. 🙂
If you want help I would say there are two keys to getting it:
1) Ask
2) Be known as willing to pay it back
Our class has a FB page where we swap study guides and such. I do what I can where I can. I would list examples but you never know what someone might consider academic dishonesty and I am not completely anonymous here. I help however I can, but I have to know they need/want it. I am not a mind reader. 😉
I am especially generous with new people at work. I figure the more I help them the more help I will get back down the road. 🙂
If you want help I would say there are two keys to getting it:
1) Ask
2) Be known as willing to pay it back
I think most people do not fall under two, you do something for them, and they never try to help you... I'm glad people like you are out there, even though you guys are in the few. When someone helps me, I usually try my best to help them.
Of course I try to help the other pharmacists that I work with because I would want them to do the same for me.
Of course I try to help the other pharmacists that I work with because I would want them to do the same for me.
When you were looking for jobs, did you feel like you could rely on your classmates to tell you about openings?
What about now that you're a pharmacist? Would you rely on other pharmacists to tell you about openings?
I always get paranoid thinking that students would refuse to tell me because that would create competition or whatever.
When you were looking for jobs, did you feel like you could rely on your classmates to tell you about openings?
What about now that you're a pharmacist? Would you rely on other pharmacists to tell you about openings?
I always get paranoid thinking that students would refuse to tell me because that would create competition or whatever.
Hmm, I wasn't thinking about the statement in terms of the job search.
During school, I honestly never thought about it. It seemed like everyone talked about everything all of the time, so I ended up hearing about job openings and whatever else was going on.
Now I would only trust another pharmacist to tell me if he/she was not actively looking for a job. I worked with a lot of contract staffers in the past who were usually looking for work, and I really don't think they would have broadcast an open position to me.
Definitely A, although not entirely out of altruism. Pharmacy is a really, really small world, and if I can make someone's life easier, and give them a study guide or help on a topic which is really hard for them, they might be more likely to remember me and to help ME one day down the road when I need it. I help everyone, even students several years below me - we will all be colleagues one day, and who knows, maybe I'll be trying to get a position at their facility or they may be on the team that is interviewing me for a job one day.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would help out other pharmacists and pharmacy students. I've helped several pre-pharms that are going to become pharmacy students in the fall and my class generally supports each other.
Am I going to let others take advantage of me? No. The guy that does none of his work and always relies on someone else isn't going to get much sympathy or support from me, I'm not going to be a doormat for others to walk all over. However, I would support and help out anyone else as I can within the profession. I think we are all in this together.
Am I going to let others take advantage of me? No. The guy that does none of his work and always relies on someone else isn't going to get much sympathy or support from me, I'm not going to be a doormat for others to walk all over. However, I would support and help out anyone else as I can within the profession. I think we are all in this together.
I didn't like any of the poll answers, so I didn't select one. But I usually reserve my time for people who deserve it, doesn't matter if it's pharmacy or not. I'm more about quality vs. quantity so my close friends and/or current/former colleagues get my dedication. With this select group I don't expect anything back.
I'm not helping you "just because" you're a pharmacist/intern/etc...
I'm not helping you "just because" you're a pharmacist/intern/etc...
I once made up a sample test with falsified answers and posted it on the bulletin board at my prof's office. The looks on people's faces were priceless. Those overachievers were stressed out because the questions/answers didn't make sense to them. Some even went to my prof and disputed the answers on the test. Those were the good ol days....sigh....
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
I once made up a sample test with falsified answers and posted it on the bulletin board at my prof's office. The looks on people's faces were priceless. Those overachievers were stressed out because the questions/answers didn't make sense to them. Some even went to my prof and disputed the answers on the test. Those were the good ol days....sigh....
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
So in other words, don't look to your classmates for reliable answers to any questions you may have about classes or about jobs.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 573
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 535