Helpppp! How important is a letter from DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdage

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to apply for 4 DO schools for the entering class of 2006. But I have not had any contact with a DO doctor. I have been looking for an opportunity to work for a DO for a month, but I haven't had any luck. My question is how important it is to get a letter for a DO? I am a volunteer EMT. In November I will start my volunteer in a hospital. My Gpa is 3.97 and August MCAT is 28Q. Do I have chance to get in Nycom without a DO letter? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

The DO letter requirement is such a crock of ****. It's like saying you can't be an architect unless you know and have shadowed an architect. I find this letter requirement offensive, inbred and mafia-like. I am a first year at NYCOM and can tell you with those stats you are probably golden. Don't bother with the stupid letter.

If you want to be extra anal, go bother some DO out of the phone book and explain to them the stupid requirement. I am sure you will find some sympathetic soul that will write you the letter. But honestly, what a freaking waste of time. Actually, I don't think NYCOM requires it. So don't bother. Of the schools I applied to, only NOVA had that required. They also had a dress requirement for lectures. So all I can say is: don't apply to NOVA. And Good Luck.

I Fell

Members don't see this ad :)
Nate said:
UMDNJ does not require a DO letter, good luck.

Hey nate....could you have UMDNJ send me some love?

About getting a letter and shadowing... is it okay to write a letter instead of calling. If you call, you're probably going to get a secretary or someone, not the doc. With a letter, the secretary can hand it to him at the end of the day, or whatever. Any advice on this?

3.97, 28; unless there is some other factor, why not apply to an MD program? If you don't mind me asking.

Why apply to an MD program and not a DO program? If you don't mind me asking.

Dr GeddyLee said:
3.97, 28; unless there is some other factor, why not apply to an MD program? If you don't mind me asking.

wolfram241 said:
About getting a letter and shadowing... is it okay to write a letter instead of calling. If you call, you're probably going to get a secretary or someone, not the doc. With a letter, the secretary can hand it to him at the end of the day, or whatever. Any advice on this?

wolf-

regardless if you write a letter, fax, email, etc, someone in the office is still going to get it before the doctor does. in the office i work in, all the doctor's letters are opened before they get them, to weed out any nonsense. i don't think its a bad idea, but it might take longer than calling.

i've heard others talk about a link on www.osteopathic.org, where you can find DO's in your area who are open to shadowing, letter writing etc.

i disagree that the letter from a DO thing is nonsense though. it is good to have met/spoke with a DO before pursuing the career, but i guess it can be hard if you don't live in a very populated area. im in nj, right near NYC, so DO's are everywhere, i count myself lucky. i would try to find one though, i think it will be nice addition for the application.

just my 2 cents!

Dr GeddyLee said:

well, from reading sdn, it seems like it's very hard to get into allopathic schools these days with stats like that unless it's your state school. hell, admittedly i only applied to 5 allopathic school (two of which are really slow), but i haven't heard a word yet from any of them. there are people on the allopathic board with mcats in their 30s who applied to tons of schools and have yet to get one interview.

I am applying some MD too. The problem is the breakdown of my mcat score. I got 6VR, 10BS, 12PS and Q on writing. English is not my native language. So I want to apply for MD and DO in order to maximize my chances of becoming a doctor.

Nate said:
Why apply to an MD program and not a DO program? If you don't mind me asking.
Better chances of getting a choice residency.

exlawgrrl said:
well, from reading sdn, it seems like it's very hard to get into allopathic schools these days with stats like that unless it's your state school. hell, admittedly i only applied to 5 allopathic school (two of which are really slow), but i haven't heard a word yet from any of them. there are people on the allopathic board with mcats in their 30s who applied to tons of schools and have yet to get one interview.
I don't think SDN (or mdapplicants) is a good indicator for acceptance criteria. Of course we all know that there's much more to an application than gpa/mcat, but it seems with his scores he would have a decent shot.

I do think it's smart to apply to both MD and DO programs, but if it were me I would wait and try to up my mcat or improve my profile in any way possible fpr the next app cycle before applying to DO.

3.97 is damn impressive IMO and could open some opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were five year younger I would try to improve my MCAT so that I don't have to worry about the number. But I am a post-bacc student. And I really can't wait to get into a medical school and start my career.
August MCAT was my second time. I took the april MCAT, I got 4 on verbal and O on writing with the same scores on the science section. I am really not sure how much I can improve on verbal by next april.
But thank you all for the great suggestion.

mdage said:
If I were five year younger I would try to improve my MCAT so that I don't have to worry about the number. But I am a post-bacc student. And I really can't wait to get into a medical school and start my career.
August MCAT was my second time. I took the april MCAT, I got 4 on verbal and O on writing with the same scores on the science section. I am really not sure how much I can improve on verbal by next april.
But thank you all for the great suggestion.
I'll be 34 by the time I matriculate, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. Good luck :thumbup:

Dr GeddyLee said:
Better chances of getting a choice residency.

"Choice" residency is a matter of perspective. If you mean we may have difficulty getting into a good ol' boys club well from my perspective that is good. To me those same allopathic doctors who think they are better than Osteopathic doctors probably think they are better than their patients and everyone else as well. If you mean we will have difficulty getting into a residency with quality training I think you are sorely misinformed. OP you will get a fine medical education at a DO school where you will be given the tools to be a great leader in medicine. Good luck on your journey

Dr GeddyLee said:
I don't think SDN (or mdapplicants) is a good indicator for acceptance criteria. Of course we all know that there's much more to an application than gpa/mcat, but it seems with his scores he would have a decent shot.

Sure should apply to MD programs to maximize the chance, but 28 on MCAT doesn't impress too many schools. It's not a bad score, but it's best to have above average (over 30) nowdays.

Nate said:
"Choice" residency is a matter of perspective. If you mean we may have difficulty getting into a good ol' boys club well from my perspective that is good. To me those same allopathic doctors who think they are better than Osteopathic doctors probably think they are better than their patients and everyone else as well. If you mean we will have difficulty getting into a residency with quality training I think you are sorely misinformed. OP you will get a fine medical education at a DO school where you will be given the tools to be a great leader in medicine. Good luck on your journey
What I mean by "choice" residency is a more competetive specialty. In many programs having a DO will put you at a disadvantage when competing against similary qualified applicants. Fair or not, "good ole boy's club" or not, it is a reality and something every applicant should be aware of.

I've looked at a couple of those residency match lists for DO schools. Has anyone seen a DO match into a plastics residency? Is it near impossible for a DO to match one?

PlasticsMan

mdage said:
I am trying to apply for 4 DO schools for the entering class of 2006. But I have not had any contact with a DO doctor. I have been looking for an opportunity to work for a DO for a month, but I haven't had any luck. My question is how important it is to get a letter for a DO? I am a volunteer EMT. In November I will start my volunteer in a hospital. My Gpa is 3.97 and August MCAT is 28Q. Do I have chance to get in Nycom without a DO letter? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

What about your medical director? My EMS medical directors were always DO's.

PlasticMan said:
I've looked at a couple of those residency match lists for DO schools. Has anyone seen a DO match into a plastics residency? Is it near impossible for a DO to match one?

PlasticsMan

Yeah. I'd think so. It's possible, but rare.

mdage said:

I think you have an exellent chance of getting in w/o a DO letter. I did not have DO letter and had slightly lower stats and was accepted and recieved multiple intervies. I don't think you have anything to worry about :) What are your ECs like?

Today I got an email from a DO. I found this guy on the osteopathic.org. I think his specialty is plastic and reconstructive surgery. He asked me to give him a call anytime for the shadowing. :thumbup:
I will try, if everything can work out, it would be great. If not, I wouldn't worry too much either. I appreciate everyone's suggestion.
My only medical related experience is working on a community ambulance as a primary EMT for a year and half. Currently I have also scheduled for an interview with a hosptial to start volunteer there in November. :oops:

MSUCOM, OUCOM and WVSOM do not require a DO letter.