hem and onc boards - simultaneous v staggered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisampgoestoeleven

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to hear people's thoughts on taking Hem and Onc boards same year vs. staggering them. On one hand I'd like to rip the bandaid right off, I don't want to jeopardize passing one or both because I am studying for two exams.

Members don't see this ad.

Most people I know have done them together. Which I think is nuts because the testing windows are exactly the same and you usually take them one day after the other.

I only took Onc so...problem solved for me

It is not too bad. There is a good amount of overlap between hematology and oncology such as leukemia, lymphoma etc. I took both and did well. I wish the dates were several weeks apart but it was nice to get them over with. I think best time is to take them is as soon after fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
The overlap helps a lot. A good chunk of the oncology board exam is malignant hematology.

I agree the dates should be separated by at least a couple of weeks. I was exhausted by the end of day 2.

Everyone I know going into community practice has taken both immediately (except one who chose only to board in onc). Some people going into academics have delayed one for a year. I think that's a terrible idea.

Take em, get them over with.