hem and onc boards - simultaneous v staggered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thisampgoestoeleven

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Curious to hear people's thoughts on taking Hem and Onc boards same year vs. staggering them. On one hand I'd like to rip the bandaid right off, I don't want to jeopardize passing one or both because I am studying for two exams.
 
It is not too bad. There is a good amount of overlap between hematology and oncology such as leukemia, lymphoma etc. I took both and did well. I wish the dates were several weeks apart but it was nice to get them over with. I think best time is to take them is as soon after fellowship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone I know going into community practice has taken both immediately (except one who chose only to board in onc). Some people going into academics have delayed one for a year. I think that's a terrible idea.