hem/onc salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious monkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have an idea of the general salary ranges for peds hem/onc in private vs acacdemic settings? Do most peds hem/onc physicians have to associate themselves with an academic institution in order to get a solid patient base? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

curious monkey said:
anyone have an idea of the general salary ranges for peds hem/onc in private vs acacdemic settings? Do most peds hem/onc physicians have to associate themselves with an academic institution in order to get a solid patient base? thanks

Private practice peds oncology doesn't really exist. There (thankfully) aren't enough kids with cancer to warrant strict private peds onc. So, any peds oncologist HAS to be affiliated with a major academic institution, which unfortunately greatly limits their income. and that is exactly why adult oncologists can make SO much more money - they can have private practice oncology groups. Peds onc docs make decent money for sure, but to give you an example:

1) Peds Onc doctor at Sloan-Kettering (one of the top cancer hospitals in US) started at $130,000.

2) Adult Onc doctor first year salary out of fellowship in private practice in the midwest started at $300,000.

now, some peds oncologists that do private practice general peds on the side to make some extra $$$$.

Actually, it's not totally true that you must be affiliated with a major academic institution. I am currently working at a large, private hospital system that has a fully-functional peds heme/onc section. I don't totally know what that means for salary purposes or for how widespread this is, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
pinkfrosting said:
Actually, it's not totally true that you must be affiliated with a major academic institution. I am currently working at a large, private hospital system that has a fully-functional peds heme/onc section. I don't totally know what that means for salary purposes or for how widespread this is, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm really in love with hemeonc and I can see that you're an attending.Could you please tell me about applying and give me ideas for my PS.I'm currently a PGY 2 in peds in NJ.

Peds_MD said:
I'm really in love with hemeonc and I can see that you're an attending.Could you please tell me about applying and give me ideas for my PS.I'm currently a PGY 2 in peds in NJ.

Me? An attending? Not exactly, so sorry, but I can't be of much help to you.

pinkfrosting said:

I worked for a pediatric hem/onc practice which had 2 MDs and was located at a private childrens hospital in a major metropolitan area (>1million residents) without a large academic center. The oncologist I worked for basically came out of fellowship training @UCLA and started the hem/onc unit at this particular hospital. The amount of work that these 2 MDs did was amazing, probably worked harder than when they were in residency. Weekend call twice a month, one week on, then one week off. Salary, lets put it this way, they were making good money as they were the only two practioners in town. A caught a glimpse of an annual revenue statement and the practice had brought in around $1.7 million. This is probably the exception to the rule. I just wanted to let you know that there are plenty of private practice opportunities around and you will make good money in the end. It seemed like a really rewarding and challenging career, not something I would necessarily do solely for the purpose of bringing home a large paycheck though. I initially started off med school with the intention of pursuing peds hem/onc, but I really enjoyed the pathology way too much, so I am heading off to path for residency. Good luck and PM me with any questions.