Hematology/Oncology 2025-2026 Application Cycle

Started by oncmdphd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question: if we're primarily interested in onc (little interest in benign heme, not a lot of experience with malignant heme) is that ok to say/is there a good way to say that in interviews?
If you’re interviewing at an academic program this is perfectly fine/a benefit to bring up, although I would express it as interest in a certain type of solid tumor oncology (GI, GU, thoracic, etc) rather than a disinterest in heme. If you can tie it into your research/experiences, even better.

If you’re interviewing at a community program I wouldn’t advertise it.
 
Question . What are your thoughts about sending letter of interest to signalled vs not signalled program at around this time ? Got fewer interviews than expected.
 
Question . What are your thoughts about sending letter of interest to signalled vs not signalled program at around this time ? Got fewer interviews than expected.
At least one PD has mentioned that they are a bit of an annoyance and generally are not helpful. That being said, annoying a PD that otherwise was going to pass you over anyway sounds like it doesn't carry much risk. But TBH at this point in the cycle, I am not sure if there is a lot to work with. My gut would tell me the only way to find out is to try lol, but what do I know...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At least one PD has mentioned that they are a bit of an annoyance and generally are not helpful. That being said, annoying a PD that otherwise was going to pass you over anyway sounds like it doesn't carry much risk. But TBH at this point in the cycle, I am not sure if there is a lot to work with. My gut would tell me the only way to find out is to try lol, but what do I know...
I think that was me. Having said that, I agree you don’t have much to lose by emailing, and there’s always a slim chance someone canceled and there’s an open interview slot. It’s happened before.
 
But if you dont get from your gold and silver?
Who could have possibly predicted that an opaque system without agreed upon definitions and norms would have made this already stressful and confusing process even worse?

To answer your question, if you're not competitive for your signals, the signals don't really matter. Even if you are competitive, maybe you just didn't make the cut. It happens.

Will a LOI hurt you at this point? No, they can't double secret probation reject you.
animal house dean GIF


Will it help you? Probably not. But there's always a chance.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF
 
Great for the programs and the competitive candidates. RIP DOs and some IMGs. The next charting outcomes will be very interesting.
I'm on record here (somewhere, I can't keep track of my own posts) saying that there definitely needs to be some reform in the ERAS system and that this signaling thing may actually be the worst possible "fix" they could have come up with.

I'm not really all that smart, but I can come up with 4 or 5 better systems off the top of my head.
 
Depends on geo preference;

Generally speaking however the below meet your requirements as will others;

DFCI
Upenn
Cornell
MSKCC
Fred Hutch
MDACC
UChicago
Northwestern
Possibly Cleveland Clinic
UNC
U Colorado (though unsure of their cart translational/clinical expertise)
Vanderbilt
Mayo

if you provide a geographic preference I can narrow the list
I can add my two cents, MDA is known for its leukemia department, and their basic science is very good, you can argument not top notch (I think it is top 3-5 level in terms basic science), and they have everything for a MD to become a physician scientist if prefers
 
I can add my two cents, MDA is known for its leukemia department, and their basic science is very good, you can argument not top notch (I think it is top 3-5 level in terms basic science), and they have everything for a MD to become a physician scientist if prefers
Thanks for that. I think the invitation portion of the cycle is over so nows it more about working with what I got. Fortunately, I was invited to interview at a some amazing programs. I think I can narrow them down to my top 6. I would appreciate any thoughts for someone focused on malignant heme likely AML with a strong chance of pursuing a lab-based research career.

1- Cornell (not sure if I need to think about its proximity to MSKCC and if that affects the exposure or research climate?)
2- Hopkins (Single boarding structure is interesting but probably what I may want to do anyway to maximize research time)
3- Fred Hutch (Interviewed here already and sounds like a perfect fit, albeit on the West coast).
4- UChicago (Probably my #1 program going into the cycle)
5- WashU (Hear its an amazing program but in STL and not sure if that's a fit for my partner and their career)
6- DFCI (A bit of a surprised. Talked with someone who said it's a bit unstructured, but arguably the most prestigious out of the bunch. Not sure if that moves the needle much though).

Also interviewing at CoH, Emory, NW, Columbia, Maryland, Miami, UNC, and NIH. Not sure if I am sleeping on any of these programs and should consider them more strongly. Of course I still need to interview at these places, but open to any opinions lol. As mentioned before, my PI isn't the best help and I don't know who else to talk to about this who isn't involved with selection at my home program.
 
Thanks for that. I think the invitation portion of the cycle is over so nows it more about working with what I got. Fortunately, I was invited to interview at a some amazing programs. I think I can narrow them down to my top 6. I would appreciate any thoughts for someone focused on malignant heme likely AML with a strong chance of pursuing a lab-based research career.

1- Cornell (not sure if I need to think about its proximity to MSKCC and if that affects the exposure or research climate?)
2- Hopkins (Single boarding structure is interesting but probably what I may want to do anyway to maximize research time)
3- Fred Hutch (Interviewed here already and sounds like a perfect fit, albeit on the West coast).
4- UChicago (Probably my #1 program going into the cycle)
5- WashU (Hear its an amazing program but in STL and not sure if that's a fit for my partner and their career)
6- DFCI (A bit of a surprised. Talked with someone who said it's a bit unstructured, but arguably the most prestigious out of the bunch. Not sure if that moves the needle much though).

Also interviewing at CoH, Emory, NW, Columbia, Maryland, Miami, UNC, and NIH. Not sure if I am sleeping on any of these programs and should consider them more strongly. Of course I still need to interview at these places, but open to any opinions lol. As mentioned before, my PI isn't the best help and I don't know who else to talk to about this who isn't involved with selection at my home program.
Main difference between Cornell and mskcc is research focus. Both groups have large leukemia programs with robust clinical research Cornell definitely tilts more clinical/translational while mskcc has expertise across the board. Despite the large clinical leukemia program, Cornell as a whole is definitely a smaller shop in terms of faculty/fellows which has its pros and cons

obviously I Don’t have to tell you that all these programs are excellent and you will likely have no problem succeeding wherever you land on your merits
 
Would love to get some advice about ROL based on your familiarity with these programs. I feel incredibly lucky to have gotten these invites and know they are all good programs, but just trying to fine-tune order based on your experiences/word on the street. I've also included particular questions I have about some

Duke (does proximity to UNC dilute case exposure?)
Stanford (cost of living worries me, but great research program)
Emory (heard call is busier than average, not sure if anyone has heard different?)
UPenn (anyone with experience living in Philly?)
Ohio
UMichigan
UPMC
UT southwestern

For context, I'm particularly interested in malignant heme (leukemia, in particularly) and cellular therapies. But I am open to being convinced about solid tumor - would lean GU/GI or Lung. Preference for east coast, but open to moving out west. Places friendly to med ed is a plus. Thanks for your virtual mentorship!