Heme/onc fellowship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookie Queen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I submitted my apps for heme/onc fellowship last week on the first day you could submit, unfortunately only 1 of my 3 letter writers has uploaded thier letters.... Have others started hearing interview offers? If so, I will lean on them a little more. Maybe we can use this as an interview offers thread if people are interested!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump for interview thread!

I would lean on them as best you can - I managed to (barely!) get mine online (as in, day before it opened) x3. It seems like the turn around time is a lot faster on this than it was for residency - like I'm hearing back a lot faster in the affirmative or negative than was happening for those applications. Fewer applicants, maybe>

It's still really early in the game. I would submit it as soon as possible, but definitely don't sweat it. I submitted the first day and have only heard back from 1 program. Good luck! Perhaps we'll meet on the interview trail.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's still really early in the game. I would submit it as soon as possible, but definitely don't sweat it. I submitted the first day and have only heard back from 1 program. Good luck! Perhaps we'll meet on the interview trail.

Good luck to you as well!

I'm wondering - how many interviews is 'enough?' Should we be shooting for 3, 5, 10...etc? In residency, seemed like there was good info out there about how many interviews to accept... can't really find anything about this, though.

Good luck to you as well!

I'm wondering - how many interviews is 'enough?' Should we be shooting for 3, 5, 10...etc? In residency, seemed like there was good info out there about how many interviews to accept... can't really find anything about this, though.

I agree, there's much less info on the applications for fellowships. I'm guessing that's because there are just so few of us (I think ~170 ppl apply per yr?). My program director told me to try to rank 8 programs. But even she admitted she didn't have great data for that number. If you look on Freida, they provide how many ppl programs interview, it seems most programs interview 8-10 ppl per spot available. So statisically speaking, we should be trying to rank about that many I guess.

The only experience that I have, is going through the fall specialties match that took place from July until December. And with the schedule inherently busier in residency I honestly felt that more than 6 to 8 interviews was unnecessarily obtrusive and time and money intensive.

I would personally look at the match rate and interview accordingly. For cards, GI and PEM there is an ~80% match rate. So for me that means 8-10 ranks.

If I were applying to a fellowship with. 90%+ match rate then I would shoot for 6.

Thanks, folks! That was sort of what I was thinking. The NRMP specialty matching report covering 2011-2014 was showing that last year, there were around 157 spots, 178 applicants (or something like that, going off the top of my head), and a match rate of ~85%. Our Div head out here was saying that when he used to interviews folks for PHO, they interviewed 8-10 applicants per spot. So 8-10 interviews is probably the 'safe' number. I'm going to run it by a few of the H/O attendings today/tomorrow, see what they think.

So the answer I'm getting seems to be that 8-10 strikes a lot of attendings as overkill. Meh. Way I figure it, I have time for around that many (goodbye, 2 week vacation), so I don't really loose out by going to that many. No one could give me a good answer about number of interviews to be 'safe,' though.

I applied as well this year. Had everything in on day 1. Applied to 24 places with hopes to interview at 10-12 places mostly because while I know what area I'm interested in I don't have a clue what else I want when it comes to choosing a place. So far I have received 9 interviews, no rejections. Haven't heard a lot from East coast as of yet.

Reactions: 1 user
What are schools looking at when offering interviews? Steps, research, etc?

What are schools looking at when offering interviews? Steps, research, etc?
It's really hard to say actually. I'm linking a PDF file of the fellowship match outcomes in terms of research, step scores, etc. For some unfathomable reason, the stats in here don't cover peds heme onc - just adult (which is a match out of internal medicine). Go figure.

Attachments

• NRMP-Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-Specialties-Matching-Service-1st-Edition-Published-May-2013.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
I applied as well this year. Had everything in on day 1. Applied to 24 places with hopes to interview at 10-12 places mostly because while I know what area I'm interested in I don't have a clue what else I want when it comes to choosing a place. So far I have received 9 interviews, no rejections. Haven't heard a lot from East coast as of yet.

Same basic story - applied day 1 to a lot more places than I could interview at. So far, all mid west and south, and a few west coast. This morning I started hearing back from East Coast - dunno why they lag behind. More applicants maybe?

Hopefully they all start handing out interviews- I don't want to book flights til I have a pretty good idea what schedule will look like

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any thoughts about when the interviews stop coming out? Thinking mainly about when it would be 'safe' to start booking flights and such.

One of my co residents applied last year said she heard from around half of programs before holidays and half after. I've now heard from 12 of 24 and no rejections yet so very thankful. Getting close to having to start turning down interviews

One of my co residents applied last year said she heard from around half of programs before holidays and half after. I've now heard from 12 of 24 and no rejections yet so very thankful. Getting close to having to start turning down interviews
Thanks! That's good to know. I'm in the same boat... I feel so bad turning down interviews. But I guess it's not possible to go to everything....

Yes I'm still debating which to do. I know previously some groups listed programs they have heard from so people can have an idea who has started giving out interviews and who hasn't- are we interested in that?

Once you reach your goal number of interviews, start canceling interviews at programs that will not be in your top 6 because you're unlikely to rank them high and give someone else an opportunity to go there.

Has anyone heard from New York/ east coast programs yet? I think its a good idea to list who we heard from.

Hi all, I thought I'd contribute my info if it's helpful to any of you. I sent my application in 2 weeks after submissions opened. Applied to 14 programs - west, midwest, and a smattering of east coast (no south). 5 interviews so far:

California x 2, offered the week of Dec 15th
Ohio x1, offered the week of Dec 15th
Oregon x1, offered this week (Dec 22nd)
Pennsylvania x 1, offered the week of Dec 15th

Here is my list so far- I only applied to 4 East Coast places and didn't apply at all to California so not helpful on that front.

Arkansas Children's
University of Alabama
Vanderbilt
Emory
UTSW
UTSA
Nationwide Children's
Children's National
Cornell- Memorial Sloan Kettering
Kansas City Mercy
Phoenix Children's
OHSU
Oklahoma City

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I applied to 13 all over the country. I've heard back from about half.
Sloan Kettering
UTSW
John's Hopkins
CHLA
Denver
Columbia

Same story - applied all over the country. Only I didnt have any idea how I stacked up, so I applied to a LOT of programs.

How are y'all interpreting these? Say I was absolutely 100% aiming at being in, I dunno, say denver. Does that mean @Nibby 's post (having heard back form Denver) means (a) they haven't gotten to my application yet, (b) they looked at it and didn't want to interview me, (c) I'm wait-listed, or (d) something else entirely? Anyone have any thoughts?

Has anyone heard from New York/ east coast programs yet? I think its a good idea to list who we heard from.

Collecting everyone's posts, looks like the only ones folks have heard back from on the East coast/North east are:
Columbia, Cornell, Children's National (DC), Johns Hopkins. I've also heard of people getting interviews at New York Medical College and University of Florida, Jacksonville (you didn't say WHICH part of the east coast!).

So overall, I'd say that a lot of the East Coast places haven't sent out much yet... only 6 so far, I think!

I know that my home program is sending invites in 2-3 waves. An early first batch of about 20 invites and then around 15-20 more invites after the new year, then depending on cancellations, maybe sending more. I wouldn't be surprised if other programs were similar.

So I'm going to cancel a couple interviews that I've scheduled and know to contact them soon (debating 1-2 places still). Question is- if you are offered an interview and don't plan to schedule are you replying to the invite at all?

Compiled list of places that we know have made offers: feel free to add places into list as we go on :D

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Children's National (Washington DC)
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
Emory
John's Hopkins
Kansas City Mercy
Nationwide Children's
OHSU
Oklahoma City
Phoenix Children's
Portland
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Wisconsin- Madison

Updating the compiled list for interview offers. Anyone want to add dates?

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Case Western (Cleveland)
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Kansas City Mercy
Nationwide Children's (Columbus OH)
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSF (notified that the program will start sending invites after the new year)
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Wisconsin- Madison

Last edited:
Question is- if you are offered an interview and don't plan to schedule are you replying to the invite at all?

I would. It seems more polite to acknowledge that you are happy about getting the interview but you won't be attending. No need to give reasons. It's just courtesy to the PD so they know to invite someone else.

Last edited:
Speaking of timing...when would you guys start thinking about writing LOIs to the programs you really want to visit but haven't heard from yet? I think it's still early but when is reasonable? Mid-January? February?

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Case Western (Cleveland)
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Kansas City Mercy
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSF (notified that the program will start sending invites after the new year)
University of Chicago
University of Mississippi
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Wisconsin- Madison

Speaking of timing...when would you guys start thinking about writing LOIs to the programs you really want to visit but haven't heard from yet? I think it's still early but when is reasonable? Mid-January? February?

Unsure- I was thinking mid-January would be when I would contact the program I still am really hopeful to interview at. I don't want to email too soon but I don't want to wait forever and get a rejection before I have the chance to email.

Updated list

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Case Western (Cleveland)
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
Emory
Jacksonville
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Kansas City Mercy
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSF
University of Chicago
Univ of Washington (Seattle)
Utah
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Wisconsin- Madison
Yale

Updating again:

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Case Western (Cleveland)
Children's Hospital of Michigan
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
Emory
Jacksonville
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Kansas City Mercy
Mayo Clinic
Oakland Children's
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
University of Chicago
Utah
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Wisconsin- Madison
Yale

Also, I agree. If you know you can't make an interview, probably best to email and turn them down politely. Opens up the spot for someone else! Good luck to everyone - the first interview dates offered are coming up in only a few weeks!

Updating

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Case Western (Cleveland)
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
Emory
Jacksonville
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Kansas City Mercy
Mayo Clinic
MD Anderson (Houston)
Oakland Children's
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
University of Chicago
Utah
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Wisconsin- Madison
Yale

My inbox has ben quite for past 10 days! Hope to hear from more programs this week

Same here. No news since the first 5 interview invites in Dec.
Went on my first interview this week. Are we interested in sharing interview impressions in this thread?

Good luck all! The "meeting 7 faculty in one day" is kind of exhausting! But still fun.

Last edited:
Updating with CHOP

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Case Western (Cleveland)
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
Emory
Jacksonville
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Kansas City Mercy
Mayo Clinic
MD Anderson (Houston)
Oakland Children's
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
University of Chicago
Utah
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Wisconsin- Madison
Yale

Same here. No news since the first 5 interview invites in Dec.
Went on my first interview this week. Are we interested in sharing interview impressions in this thread?

Good luck all! The "meeting 7 faculty in one day" is kind of exhausting! But still fun.
I think interview impressions would be a great idea! I'll be starting my trail on the 20th, happy to share. Hopefully help the folks interviewing Feb/March.

And same here - one more interview offer on 12/31. Nothing since. All quiet on the western front. Figure I'll finalize travel arrangements this weekend. Too early?

I think impressions would be nice too! I heard from 1 place this week but not much else.

As of now: applied to 24 (too many!), 17 invites, 1 rejection, 6 that I haven't heard from

Also- for the dinner before with fellows or faculty how dressy are people going? Jeans and cute top, dress, dress pants? I'm debating it...

I think impressions would be nice too! I heard from 1 place this week but not much else.

As of now: applied to 24 (too many!), 17 invites, 1 rejection, 6 that I haven't heard from

Also- for the dinner before with fellows or faculty how dressy are people going? Jeans and cute top, dress, dress pants? I'm debating it...

Well I'm a dude, so I don't think you'd want to see me rock the cute top look. I can give it a shot though!

Nah, I'd go for 'business casual' / semi-professional. Maybe nice jeans or kahkis and a collared shirt for guys... I don't know what the female equivalent is. Then again, I'm coming from Hawaii... wearing pants instead of shorts is considered dressed up here.

Updating again:

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Case Western (Cleveland)
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
DuPont
Emory
Jacksonville
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Kansas City Mercy
Mayo Clinic
MD Anderson (Houston)
Oakland Children's
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
University of Chicago
UNC
Utah
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Wisconsin- Madison
Yale

Updating. The second round of invites is definitely starting for some programs.

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Case Western/Rainbow (Cleveland)
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
DuPont
Emory
Jacksonville
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Kansas City Mercy
Mayo Clinic
MD Anderson (Houston)
Northwestern
Oakland Children's
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
University of Chicago
UNC
Utah
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Wisconsin- Madison
Yale

Last edited:
Updating...

Alabama
Arkansas Children's
Brown
Case Western/Rainbow (Cleveland)
CHLA
Columbia
Denver
DuPont
Emory
Jacksonville
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Kansas City Mercy
Mayo Clinic
MD Anderson (Houston)
Northwestern
Oakland Children's
OHSU (Portland)
Oklahoma City
UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Penn State
Phoenix Children's
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
University of Chicago
UNC
Utah
UTSA
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Wisconsin- Madison
Yale

Any thoughts on thank you cards vs emails? Also are you sending a card to each interviewer (tough as most places have 6-9 interviews)? I've done 3 interviews at this point. Once I catch up on thank you letters and get over whatever nasty bug I've picked up I will write a report of the places I've interviewed

Any thoughts on thank you cards vs emails? Also are you sending a card to each interviewer (tough as most places have 6-9 interviews)? I've done 3 interviews at this point. Once I catch up on thank you letters and get over whatever nasty bug I've picked up I will write a report of the places I've interviewed

I think they're a great idea. The thank you cards, I mean. Takes maybe a minute or two each, mail em off, no big deal. Every little thing helps - plus in my mind, they're pretty busy themselves. It would probably be nice to say thanks for taking the time out of their day to interview me/you! I say go for it.

Anyone hear from NYU or Albert Einstein yet? They are not on any of the lists.

Anyone hear from NYU or Albert Einstein yet? They are not on any of the lists.
Nope, can't say I have. At this point though, I'd be really surprised to hear back from anywhere else - interviews have started.

That being said, maybe towards the end of the season (e.g. late february/early march), there might be a few interview spots opening up as people presumably cancel interviews - happened in residency too.

Sounds like a few of you have started interviewing, do you have any tips? Unfortunately because of timing my first interview is at the program I'm most interested in and I'm getting quite nervous!

Did you ask who you were interviewing with to be more prepared or is it very chill?

Thanks!