Heme/onc fellowship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's definitely more intense than it was interviewing for residency. As opposed to 2, maybe 3 interviews, it's been 8-10 separate interviews per DAY. Kinda tiring.

That's not to say its bad-intense. Everyone is super nice, super interested - more laid back feel compared to residency. It also strikes me as more 'equal' in that it's as much you telling them about yourself as it is them telling you about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely more intense than it was interviewing for residency. As opposed to 2, maybe 3 interviews, it's been 8-10 separate interviews per DAY. Kinda tiring.

That's not to say its bad-intense. Everyone is super nice, super interested - more laid back feel compared to residency. It also strikes me as more 'equal' in that it's as much you telling them about yourself as it is them telling you about the program.

Sorry for the double post - phone being weird.

Anyways definetly do your research. You'll need to be able to explain exactly what it is about the place that drew you to apply. And have some good questions at the ready!

Above all, relax and be natural, it's a great chance to hear a lot about some excellent places to train! Keep an open mind - you'll never know what surprises you.

Sounds like a few of you have started interviewing, do you have any tips? Unfortunately because of timing my first interview is at the program I'm most interested in and I'm getting quite nervous!

Did you ask who you were interviewing with to be more prepared or is it very chill?

Thanks!

Most places sent me a schedule before the interview. I felt overall it was pretty chill just exhausting having anywhere from 6-11 interviews per place. It seems to me most people want to know why you are going into the field and if you are prepared well- volume of patients seen as a resident, coping mechanisms/outside interests, etc. I felt more of my residency interviews were about non-medical things on my resume and these tend to be more focused. But overall I think they want to sell you as much as you are selling them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I applied this cycle for peds hemonc fellowships. Got only 2 interviews so far. I graduated from residency in 2012 and have worked in primary care for 3 years. Do programs view being in primary care as being away from academia? Is it possible that I hear from programs after this or are the chances too slim?

I am on a H visa, but will not need sponsorship, hopefully should be a permanent resident by then.
Does being a permanent resident really change your chances a lot as far as peds hemonc is concerned? Anyone with experiences or knowledge on this?

Please throw some light on this, thanks guys

nycdoc.123- I don't really know how the programs view being in private practice but a few places I interviewed with did have people who had left private practice to return to fellowship.

A few factors you didn't mention but that I would consider- how many places did you apply to? are those places all very competitive (ie did you put in some middle tier or safety type places)? Did you have everything in at the beginning of December? Test scores/ Letters? Etc.

I am not counting on hearing from anymore places. I applied to just over 20 places and only 2 have not contacted me at this point.

Sorry I can't offer more- good luck with the interviews you do have.

How are interviews going for everyone? I'm finishing up and have no idea how I am going to figure out my rank list.

How are interviews going for everyone? I'm finishing up and have no idea how I am going to figure out my rank list.
Hopefully well! Hope y'all had a good time - they were hectic and kind of stressful, but I think they really gave me a nice sense of perspective on the field. Plus, was neat to check out all these programs in person!

Rank list-wise, I would try to keep a running list as you interview. As you interview, decide where the place fits in; made it a lot easier than trying to remember details of each place. Also, spend a few minutes after the interview writing down impressions and details that were important to you - I plan to look back over these 'notes' when it comes time to submit the RoL

At the end of the day, I honestly think we need to go where we'll be happiest, with the best training overall. 3 years is a long time. I interviewed at some excellent programs in some places I really, really don't want to live. I also interviewed at some mediocre programs in amazing cities. I think on aggregate, the places I would be happiest are the 'average' of the two - you have to be able to live there, but also to get the training you need. In equation form, since I'm 70% weighting based on the program, and 30% on the place:

RoL = 0.3(city) + 0.7(program)
where program = (2(research possibilities) + 3(faculty) + 3(clinical experience) + patient volume + physical hospital space)
and where city = (Location + amenities + proximity to major airport (I like travelling!) + activities available + 4(friends present) -cost of living).

We'll each have our own equation... but that's mine!

May the odds be ever in your favor!

Wow! That's a very complex equation- I'm impressed :) I interviewed at programs that are very similar, but looking at the interview list generated on this forum, there are a huge variety of programs in terms of size, location, and "focus". So, with that caveat, from my perspective, these were things I thought were important and will drive my rank list:

1. Good mix of hematology and oncology- every program has oncology, and I know hematology is not everyone's thing, but it will be on the boards. It also makes sense to me to know both subject well since we'll be boarded in both.
2. Lots, and lots of varied patients. I remember during residency that some hospitals would say, the majority of brain tumors went to x hospital because of proton beam therapy and surgeons, etc, but we get all of the x disease. I'm sure that was an exaggeration, but I looked for places that had variety and were in a location without much competition.
3. Mentorship/ research support- ultimately, I think this is the most important one. Having mentors invested in you and your career will make all the difference.

As far as small details, call schedules, facilities, etc don't matter to me, and I suspect that's because they were all fairly similair. The one small detail that did catch my attention was the support staff in house. For example, some places have no residents/NP/hospitalist overnight, so you are essentially the resident and fellow. I think that can certainly have an impact on quality of life, and in general I have to admit I'm not psyched to be a resident for another 3 years.

I totally agree with Easily_sunburned, location, location, location. It was super important to me, so I only interviewed at places I could see myself living. I know I missed some great programs as a result, but that was a sacrifice I was more than willing to make for my overall happiness.

Those are just some of my thoughts! Good luck everyone. May seems soooo far away

Woo! Ranking is now open... just submitted my RoL! Don't forget to certify your list....won't be used in the match otherwise. Good luck, everyone!

I certified my rank list. No fancy equation here. I kept a running list during my interviews and put each place into an order as I went. At the end I had a hard time deciding between my top 2 places but everything else was quite clear to me. Now to somehow force myself to stay calm between now and May 27! Good Luck Everyone!

I certified my rank list. No fancy equation here. I kept a running list during my interviews and put each place into an order as I went. At the end I had a hard time deciding between my top 2 places but everything else was quite clear to me. Now to somehow force myself to stay calm between now and May 27! Good Luck Everyone!

My issue also - top 3 all kind of similar... in the end, still not sure how to rank them. My equation falls apart when they calculate out the same :p

Good luck!

Might I suggest that after the match, anyone who feels comfortable post their results here? Who knows, maybe some of us will be in the same programs!

Hi all! I hope everyone is very happy with the match results! Would folks feel comfortable sharing where they matched? Who knows, maybe some of us are at the same places!
- I matched to Children's Hospital of Michigan, in Detroit.

Heme/onc is one of the handful of specialties but I have my rotation at the end of my intern year. Does this put me at a disadvantage during the auction prices if I chose to go into this field?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I meant one the specialties I'm considering

Sorry, I meant one the specialties I'm considering

Hey don't worry about it - I didn't decide until the end of intern year - and my heme onc rotation was also actually the last rotation I had as a PGY1. So I guess it must not have been too much of a disadvantage!

I matched at UTSW!

I have always wanted to do heme/onc so I had a lot of research and clinical experience prior to residency but I didn't do any rotations here until May of intern year and then in early 2nd year (only seniors at my residency cover oncology patients since we are still q4 28 hour calls). I still got all the letters I needed and it wasn't too hard.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree- end of intern year won't hurt you. Perhaps, since you'll be seasoned and efficient it will even benefit you to do it later. In my program, we don't do oncology until second year, and everyone was able to get letters on time and match in their ideal program.

Matched! I'll be going to Hopkins/NCI :)

Congrats on UTSW, @settingqt31 ! I have a friend doing residency there who said the PHO program there is super strong!

Is there any concern that the field of Heme/onc will become saturated due to the fact that more people are going into the field and not a lot of kids get cancer? Just curious

Obviously just asking about the oncology portion of the field

The saturation and tough job market was brought up in several interviews. It is harder to find Onc jobs and some fellowships are reducing sizes due to the difficult market. However there are good opportunities for hematology and BMT still from what I was told.

Obviously just asking about the oncology portion of the field

The saturation and tough job market was brought up in several interviews. It is harder to find Onc jobs and some fellowships are reducing sizes due to the difficult market. However there are good opportunities for hematology and BMT still from what I was told.

It came up a fair amount in interviews for me. It seems like it's getting to the saturation point in oncology - but not there yet. I also can't help but think that in the next 4 years (e.g. when we're graduating) there will be a fair number of older physicians retiring - my residency program has a lot of relatively young, late 30's/early 40's physicians, a lot of late 60's-late 70's physicians... and not many folks in between. Anecdotal n=1, but I know our program has started looking to recruit/move faculty around in the next few years so they can absorb the retirement of the older physicians more easily. That includes the heme/onc division.

@settingqt31 - yep, going to be a lot chillier there! Going to have to go find all of my winter clothing - no more boardshorts and sandals in January :'( Always been a red-wings fan, though....