heme/onc text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nasdr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a fairly quick yet thorough text for a MS4 student taking a heme/onc away elective? i've tried a search on sdn but have not come across many ideas. on amazon, most of the texts seem too comprehensive to read prior to an elective.

advice much appreciated!

thanx,

nasdr

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone recommend a fairly quick yet thorough text for a MS4 student taking a heme/onc away elective? i've tried a search on sdn but have not come across many ideas. on amazon, most of the texts seem too comprehensive to read prior to an elective.

advice much appreciated!

The Washington Manual Onc text (not it's real name but I'm too post-call to look it up) is a good thing to have in your pocket and maybe to read beforehand, just to get the lay of the land.

Honestly though, if you're doing an away on a consult service, the best thing you can do is check out UpToDate or the NCCN guidelines (assuming it's an onc consult) prior to presenting to the fellow/attending. That will make you look good. Be sure to know differentials (although in most settings, you already have a tissue dx so differential isn't as relevant) and if you're recommending any treatment options, the mechanism of action of the drug you're suggesting and the major side effects/complications (if you get pimped about the side effects and don't know, guess nausea, anemia/neutropenia/pancytopenia and renal failure and you'll be right a huge amount of the time).

I second uptodate... oncology is such a fast changing field that the texts tend to get outdated quickly. I think NCCN is a little esoteric for a 4th year med student, and I think uptodate does a much better job of putting together all the recent trial results and state of the art knowledge

For the more basic stuff, I think Harrison's sections on onc are well-written.

Members don't see this ad :)
i started to look at uptodate and the NCCN guidelines. reviewing uptodate for the major onc sections should be entirely possible. i'll be using the NCCN guidelines for reference (way too much in there, but awesome nonetheless). thanks for the suggestions.

i started to look at uptodate and the NCCN guidelines. reviewing uptodate for the major onc sections should be entirely possible. i'll be using the NCCN guidelines for reference (way too much in there, but awesome nonetheless). thanks for the suggestions.

I think that NCCN is perfect for presenting to your attending when making recs for either further w/u or poss rx. But yes, UTD should be enough.