heme/onc with a hemepath fellowship- possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sapience8x

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing some research on residency programs and saw where ID cliniciancs can do a fellowship in micropath. can a heme/onc clinician similarly do a hemepath fellowship? fi so, where are these types of hemepath fellowships? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sapience8x said:
I was doing some research on residency programs and saw where ID cliniciancs can do a fellowship in micropath. can a heme/onc clinician similarly do a hemepath fellowship? fi so, where are these types of hemepath fellowships? Thanks!

I'm not sure but I think it would probably be OK. They look at a lot of slides and are well educated about the morphologic and molecular changes in disease of the red cells and white cells.

Derm people do dermapth, ID people have done micro, and I think I have heard of Neurology people doing neuropath. The latter two though, of course, only happen in an academic setting, and so, in essence, the neurologist would be giving up neurology for neuropathology.

I don't know if it financially makes sense for a heme person to bother formally training and signing out heme cases like a dermatologist does. With Derm it makes sense, they have more clinical info, have seen the patient and can read out slide after slide pretty fast if it is an easy case. Anything that is challenging, they render a diagnosis and then send out the case (but isn't that what all pathologists do?)

With all the advances in imaging and ultrasound, supposedly GI docs can diagnsis dysplasia and stage invasive cancer with endoscopic-ultrasound. However, talking to a private practice GI doc, he says no way are they going to start reading out their own cases. His point is that why the hell should he take that kind of risk for a mere extra $50 when he is getting paid a $1000 for the procedure.