Heme only fellowship in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomSilverman1980

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have questions on heme fellowship in Canada.

- how competitive is it? I am Canadian IMG finishing IM residency in the US.

- is there any hem/onc program in Canada?

- if i finish heme only, can i find a job in the US?

- how is the job market in Canada?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

There's a lot of very Canada specific stuff you're asking that I can't answer. However, to answer your question regarding heme only jobs in the US...

The answer is a "yes, but"

Yes, you can find a job in the US as heme-only... but, if that's the route you want to take then you should be gearing yourself up for an academic career and aim for jobs at teaching hospitals/major academic centers where you'll be able to fill your clinic and keep your lights on doing only heme. If you were thinking about working in a less academic setting like a community hospital or private practice, most of the time they would like you to be dual-boarded in heme and onc so you can better share the load of call/inpatient responsibilities/new patients/etc.

Hello

thank you

Did my medical school and IM residency training in Canada. There are no combined hematology/oncology programs in Canada, have to decide between applying to either hematology or to medical oncology (both are 2 year fellowships).

Can only apply once for either of these fellowships i.e. as a IM R3. Apart from ICU or clinical pharmacology, other subspecialty fellowships are only accessible to IM R3s and unlike the US, they don't accept applicants who worked in GIM after residency prior to applying. Competitiveness of hematology in Canada fluctuates depending on the year, this year around 30 something applicants for ~20 spots

Hello

thank you
If you want to work in the US, complete a fellowship in the US. If you want to work in Canada, do whatever works best for you.