Hemolytic disease of the newborn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctizzle13498

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does first aid say "Rh antigent immunoglobulin is given to mother after deleivery to prevent future erthroblastosis"

What does this mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Why does first aid say "Rh antigent immunoglobulin is given to mother after deleivery to prevent future erthroblastosis"

What does this mean?

If the mother is Rh- and the baby is Rh+, the Rh antigen immunoglobulin bind to the Rh+ antigen on RBC from baby (during/) after delivery and remove them from getting an immune response from the mother. Note that because of the placental barrier, the Rh- mother immune system don't usually see the Rh+ fetus RBC. So that when next time the Rh- mother has a Rh+ fetus, the mother won't produce antibody against the fetus RBC.

I probably need to review this subject too, can someone else help?

Basically that. If the mom is Rh-, Rh+ will be considered foreign. Providing mom with antibodies to baby's Rh+ will clear her system of Rh+ antigen so that she doesn't develop immunity to Rh+. Otherwise, she will build up immunity and future Rh+ fetuses will be subject to hemolysis because her anti-Rh+ IgG can cross the placenta.

would this be considered active or passive immunization?

there was a question on NBME 6 that I kinda got confused about.
there were options for Active immunization to IgM or IgG etc.
and passive immunization.

would this be considered active or passive immunization?

there was a question on NBME 6 that I kinda got confused about.
there were options for Active immunization to IgM or IgG etc.
and passive immunization.
This is Passive immunization--you're giving immunoglobulin to the mom. The baby's rbcs activel immunized the mom against Rh antigen, which is what you are preventing.