Henna at interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manicpixie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are unaware, last friday was the muslim holiday Eid-ul-Adha, and some cultures (mine) celebrate by applying henna designs on the hands. I participated in this tradition, stupidly forgetting that my first medical school interview was in a week, aka tomorrow. I know, i'm dumb.

Am I screwed or is it fine?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who are unaware, last friday was the muslim holiday Eid-ul-Adha, and some cultures (mine) celebrate by applying henna designs on the hands. I participated in this tradition, stupidly forgetting that my first medical school interview was in a week, aka tomorrow. I know, i'm dumb.

Try toothpaste or baking powder solutions. Those are pretty effective from what I've heard. You can Google them for more specifics.

If the ad comms don't accept you because of your henna, we have bigger issue at hand (no pun intended)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools do have Muslim students...so we know what henna is. Don't worry about it.

Maybe LUCOM and Loma Linda will be the only schools with issues over it.

Reactions: 4 users
Med schools do have Muslim students...so we know what henna is. Don't worry about it.

Maybe LUCOM and Loma Linda will be the only schools with issues over it.

Knowing what henna is and knowing that it is traditional to apply henna for Eid al-Adha are two different things. My in-laws are Muslim, so I've become pretty familiar with Muslim customs over the past 15 years, but the women in my family don't apply henna for Eid, and I didn't know that was a common thing to do. I mean, it's probably still fine. Anyone who wants to know about it will ask, and you can explain. It might even be a cool talking point during interviews.

Its perfectly fine. If you're really anxious about it, you may do what I did. As a fellow Muslim, I keep a beard, but when I was invited for interviews, I told the interview coordinator via e-mail to please explain why I had it to my interviewers, and then interview day in the morning I confirmed they forwarded that information. This way my interviewers didn't think I was some goddam hipster with a stupid beard lol

Reactions: 3 users
Its perfectly fine. If you're really anxious about it, you may do what I did. As a fellow Muslim, I keep a beard, but when I was invited for interviews, I told the interview coordinator via e-mail to please explain why I had it to my interviewers, and then interview day in the morning I confirmed they forwarded that information. This way my interviewers didn't think I was some goddam hipster with a stupid beard lol
haha thank you for the suggestion, i'll keep that in mind for my next interview!

If I saw henna on your hands, I would just assume that you were at a wedding recently. No big deal, it's not like a teardrop tattooed on your face.

Reactions: 3 users