manicpixie

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
For those of you who are unaware, last friday was the muslim holiday Eid-ul-Adha, and some cultures (mine) celebrate by applying henna designs on the hands. I participated in this tradition, stupidly forgetting that my first medical school interview was in a week, aka tomorrow. I know, i'm dumb.

Am I screwed or is it fine?

Reactions: Dox4lyfe

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
For those of you who are unaware, last friday was the muslim holiday Eid-ul-Adha, and some cultures (mine) celebrate by applying henna designs on the hands. I participated in this tradition, stupidly forgetting that my first medical school interview was in a week, aka tomorrow. I know, i'm dumb.

Try toothpaste or baking powder solutions. Those are pretty effective from what I've heard. You can Google them for more specifics.

Reactions: manicpixie
About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Med schools do have Muslim students...so we know what henna is. Don't worry about it.

Maybe LUCOM and Loma Linda will be the only schools with issues over it.

ADSigMel

2+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2015
The Deep South
Status
Medical Student
Med schools do have Muslim students...so we know what henna is. Don't worry about it.

Maybe LUCOM and Loma Linda will be the only schools with issues over it.
Knowing what henna is and knowing that it is traditional to apply henna for Eid al-Adha are two different things. My in-laws are Muslim, so I've become pretty familiar with Muslim customs over the past 15 years, but the women in my family don't apply henna for Eid, and I didn't know that was a common thing to do. I mean, it's probably still fine. Anyone who wants to know about it will ask, and you can explain. It might even be a cool talking point during interviews.

Reactions: Lannister
OP
manicpixie

manicpixie

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for your answers everybody!

Dr. Stalker

5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2014
Itchy and Scratchy Land
Status
Medical Student

Its perfectly fine. If you're really anxious about it, you may do what I did. As a fellow Muslim, I keep a beard, but when I was invited for interviews, I told the interview coordinator via e-mail to please explain why I had it to my interviewers, and then interview day in the morning I confirmed they forwarded that information. This way my interviewers didn't think I was some goddam hipster with a stupid beard lol

OP
manicpixie

manicpixie

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Its perfectly fine. If you're really anxious about it, you may do what I did. As a fellow Muslim, I keep a beard, but when I was invited for interviews, I told the interview coordinator via e-mail to please explain why I had it to my interviewers, and then interview day in the morning I confirmed they forwarded that information. This way my interviewers didn't think I was some goddam hipster with a stupid beard lol
haha thank you for the suggestion, i'll keep that in mind for my next interview!

Reactions: Dr. Stalker

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
If I saw henna on your hands, I would just assume that you were at a wedding recently. No big deal, it's not like a teardrop tattooed on your face.

About the Ads