Hep B carrier has any possibility to entry dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deepblue.dentis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a HEP B virus carrier,and enzyme is in nomal level for many years. immunization is too late for me, sad. Does any dental school will accept student like me?apprection for ur answer...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they can legally block you from entering. Personally I wouldn't even bring it up unless directly asked about it. I've known two HIV+ people who have gone on to medical school, so I don't think you would have any problems. Good luck with admissions and with your disease. If you need anything else, please let me know.

I wouldn't mention it either unless they have a specific time that clearly states you have to disclose any communicable diseases.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a canada PR.and I have a good score in EE and NDEB.I think I am competitive when I apply the canada dental school for last 2 years program.I am a skilled dentist in my original country for more than 10 years.But at least 3 dental school in canada dislike the applicants carrying with hep B virus.for example(all from official website):

http://www.mcgill.ca/dentistry/ "The basic compulsory immunization program is outlined in the General University Information section "Vaccination/Immunization Requirements". Students who are accepted for the study of dentistry will receive details of the immunization requirements with their acceptance package. Two immunization issues must, however, be taken into consideration prior to entry into dental school:
Varicella (chicken pox):
Students who do not have a clear, documented history of having had this childhood infection, must have their serology verified prior to registration. (It should be noted that a University-affiliated hospital may deny the student access to a clinical rotation if he/she is potentially contagious; this may impact on the student's studies.) In the event that the student's titre is negative, it is highly recommended that the student have a Varicella vaccination prior to registration. Failure to do so will compromise clinical rotations and may impact on the student's graduation date.
Hepatitis B and C:
These are serious and potentially contagious diseases, and all prospective dental students who are seronegative for Hepatitis B must be vaccinated before they will be permitted contact with patients. Any student who, in pre-vaccination testing, is found to be carrying the Hepatitis B virus will not be permitted to perform dental procedures involving needles, scalpels or other sharp objects as this poses a potential risk to the patient and will be required to withdraw at the end of Cycle 1 - Basis of Medicine. This will prevent the student from completing the clinical requirements of the program. Students who are seropositive for Hepatitis B and/or C or any other blood-bone pathogens are obligation to notify the Dean's Office as soon as they know their serostatus. The student will be referred to the Infected Health Care Worker Committee of the McGill University Teaching Hospital Council. Applicants who know they are carrying these viruses should consider carefully their intention to become a dentist and govern themselves accordingly. "

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/dentistry/
Immunization Policy
All students enrolled in the Faculty of Dentistry must be immunized against the following diseases: diphtheria/tetanus, polio, rubella, measles, mumps, chicken pox and hepatitis B. Students must be tested for tuberculosis if a suspected exposure occurs. Students who cannot be immunized because of allergies or for other reasons must provide a physician's certificate to verify these reasons.
Before the first day of classes, all students must complete the University of Manitoba Immunization Record Form provided by the Admissions Office. A physician or nurse must sign immunization records. All students are responsible for updating their immunizations as needed.
Students will not be permitted to attend clinics until all immunization requirements are up-to-date.
Arrangements for immunization against hepatitis B for all first year students are made by the Dean's Office with the cost of the immunization being approximately $80. Students will receive further details during the first week of classes. Second, third and fourth year students, as well as staff who wish to be immunized, are asked to contact the Dean's Office.
Health Standard:
Along with the notification of acceptance, each applicant offered admission will receive a physical examination and immunization form which must be completed by a registered physician and returned to the Dean’s Office within two weeks of confirming acceptance.

http://www.dent.ualberta.ca/
Health Protection Requirements
Oral health and medical examinations are mandatory. All applicants in the Pre-Clinical Assessment period are required to have a dental examination form (available from the Department) completed by a dentist and returned to the Office of the Associate Dean, Department of Dentistry in March.
Applicants are required to present a certificate of satisfactory medical examination from a physician of the University of Alberta Health Centre as part of the Faculty requirement prior to the Pre-Clinical Assessment period. The medical examination must include testing for Hepatitis B. If Hepatitis B “e” antigen and/or Hepatitis B viral DNA is positive, registration to the DDS Advanced Placement program will not be completed.
Testing may be performed a second time at a later stage of the student’s program.

I haven't found UBC OR UT,UWO have same serious warning.But I still worried about the situation.Why they insist on thinking that a HEP B carrier would probably transmit the virus to patients? these schools deny me obviously.I can't say that's unfair, but I am really disappointed.

May be all of the canada dental school will deny the appliants like me.So, do I have any oppitunity to apply the United states's dental schools?Is there any mercy dental school in North america do not push "compulsory immunization program"?

I believe, and pardon the language, you're up sh-t creek without a paddle as far as the Canadian schools go.

As far as the Americans schools go, I believe they all require Hep B immunizations- although I do believe you could try to refuse them on "religious" grounds or some BS like that- I work at a hospital and there were a couple of nurses who fought the hospital and won out over the hospital demanding they get the vaccine. That or get a doctor to write something up stating you are allergic to one of the vaccine components (if you want to try this, claiming an allergy to the yeast that is used to make the vaccine would be my guess for the one most likely to succeed; ). Here's a link to the prescribing information to the most commonly used Hep. B vaccine:
http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_engerixb.pdf

To quote the prescribing information:
"Hypersensitivity to any component of the vaccine, including yeast, is a contraindication (see
DESCRIPTION). This vaccine is contraindicated in patients with previous hypersensitivity to
any hepatitis B-containing vaccine."

The problem is the dental school want blood test first before vaccine shot.I do not want cheating or lying to them although I really have hypersensitivity with sth like kinds of flowers but not "yeast".Acctually, I will not refuse vaccine shotting because I have known it is no harm to anybody whether he is a hep B carrier or not.
Maybe I should giveup to be a dentist?

deepblue.dentis said:

You don't necessarily have to give up being a dentist. It may be in you and your patients best interest giving up being an invasive dentist though. You could, for instance, go back and become an oral pathologist, a public health dentist, etc.... I'm sure there is faculty positions at some dental school in canada or the US for these so you don't need an active license. Good luck to ya.

deepblue.dentis said:
The problem is the dental school want blood test first before vaccine shot.I do not want cheating or lying to them although I really have hypersensitivity with sth like kinds of flowers but not "yeast".Acctually, I will not refuse vaccine shotting because I have known it is no harm to anybody whether he is a hep B carrier or not.
Such a predicament! I don't think that there's any dental school which denies your application due to your inactive hep B, legally. Although small, there's always a chance that you would transmit it to your patients, classmates, instructors...Since you're a hep b carrier you're still potentially infectious, although you have no symptoms and no abnormalities on laboratory testing.
Another important thing to consider is the stress of going through dental school. It can have a negative impact to your health.
I wouldn't fudge the subject in your application, it's ground for dismissal if they ever find out about the matter.
If your interest is truely in dentistry then I wouldn't give up until I have exhausted all of the options. Contact the school officials directly regarding this matter.

deepblue.dentis said:
I am a HEP B virus carrier,and enzyme is in nomal level for many years. immunization is too late for me, sad. Does any dental school will accept student like me?apprection for ur answer...

I'm curious, does treatment with inferferon alpha, lamivudine, and adfovir help?
I hope my curiosity doesn't offend you.

I dont want to be a pessimist, but it would be very tricky to try to become a dentist. I know that you know how infectious Hep B is, and thus the relative risk to your patients if you become a practicioner. This is not only a risk for the patient, but for you as well. In the US you may have a huge legal liability to work with such as high insurance and if anything happens, a very nasty lawsuit.

However, if you do decide to become a dentist, there are fields in dentistry which do not have as much patient contact, like research, informatics, imaging, etc.

If you are passionate about the field of oral health, I think your best choice would be to aim towards a PhD rather than a DDS/DMD. Even if you gain acceptance to dental school, your chances of becomming licensed to practice dentistry may be minimal. The PhD route would open many doors for you to earn a living and contribute to society in a field that you love. When choosing your life's work, play the games in which you have an inherent advantage over others

I don't think legally you can be prevented from matriculating in the U.S. They don't revoke your license here if you contract HIV or Hep; how can they justify denying you admittance to school. Can't speak to the situation in Canada though.

12YearOldKid said:
I don't think legally you can be prevented from matriculating in the U.S. They don't revoke your license here if you contract HIV or Hep; how can they justify denying you admittance to school. Can't speak to the situation in Canada though.

Are you sure about that? I remember someone telling me that the state board can revoke your license if you have active hep b.

again I am talking out of my a$$ in typical sdn fashion.

kato999 said:
Are you sure about that? I remember someone telling me that the state board can revoke your license if you have active hep b.

again I am talking out of my a$$ in typical sdn fashion.

I heard it also. Of course, we both know which instructor told us that, right?