Hep B for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llort

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just noticed we need the Hepititus B series for school. Do we need all 3? I managed to get the first 2 in '97 but forgot to go back for #3. does anyone know if I have to start over? or can I just go get #3? or is 2/3 good enough?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

llort said:
I just noticed we need the Hepititus B series for school. Do we need all 3? I managed to get the first 2 in '97 but forgot to go back for #3. does anyone know if I have to start over? or can I just go get #3? or is 2/3 good enough?

thanks

i'd think from 7+ years ago, you'd need to redo the series...but then again i'm not a doctor so what do i know? :confused:

I have #1 and #2 but not #3 as well. I can;t remember what the time lapse is, but I am sure that the school will inform you of who to see and where to go. I got mine 2 years ago so I think I'll be ok. Don't most schools offer you the shots at their health clinic?

Members don't see this ad :)
llort said:

thanks

you are required to have all 3

ask your school clinic if you need to repeat

I was once in that same situation. The doc told me that while it's likely that I have the antibodies, it's not definite nor was he going to take the time to find out. So I redid the series.

If you're not sure about your immunity, you could always have a titer drawn. I did this before I started rotations (it was recommended by my school that we either get a 4 vaccine or have a titer drawn to ensure that we actually had immunity.)

what is a 4 vaccine? is that something you can take in one shot?

I did the same thing, got the first two Hep B shots and then quit the series. A few years later I had my internist titer my antibodies and found I had a full immune response. She said if I hadn't, I would have had to begin the series over from the beginning, so I got lucky. I guess it varies from person to person. A few are good to go after two, almost everyone is done after three, and a few people need a fourth. But if you quit early and later fail the titer, you have to start over apparently. Good luck on your antibody count.

Should I get my vaccinations now or wait until acceptance letters roll in? Do all schools require the same vaccinations?

it's a good thing to have. you should do it now.

I'd go ahead and get it. For one thing, the 3 shot series takes 6 months to finish. Plus, I'd agree it's a good thing to have. Kids all need to get it as part of their standard immunization series before starting school these days. And if you're going to volunteer or shadow at a hospital...I know I feel a lot safer having gotten the vaccine. Not to mention Hep B can also be sexually transmitted, so it's one less thing to worry about. :)

Your program may require you to retake the series if you cannot document the first two Hep B shots.

But, you really only need shot #3, regardless of how long it has been since shots 1 and 2. The shots just have to be separated by a certain MINUMUM intervals for the series to be effective. There is no maximum length between doses. You just need to complete the series.

Wait until you are at school. Ours charged $75 for the mandatory health screening, which included all necessary titer tests and catch-up shots. You might have to pay for it anyway, so get your money's worth out of it.

OSUdoc08 said:
you are required to have all 3

ask your school clinic if you need to repeat

Although all 3 are required, you only need to have 2/3 done before matriculation and you can just get your 3rd one when you get to school (bc it'll be cheaper and you can get it along with a bunch of other shots you'll get during orientation)

-tx