Hep B polymerase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkc620

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Aid notes that the HBV virion enzyme is a DNA-dependent DNA polymerase whereas UW says RNA-dependent DNA polymerase. Which one is correct?

Also, FA says that acyclovir has no effect on latent forms of HSV and VZV but UW says that daily valacyclovir, acyclovir, or famcyclovir suppress reactivation of latent HSV infection. Which is correct?

Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

First Aid notes that the HBV virion enzyme is a DNA-dependent DNA polymerase whereas UW says RNA-dependent DNA polymerase. Which one is correct?

Also, FA says that acyclovir has no effect on latent forms of HSV and VZV but UW says that daily valacyclovir, acyclovir, or famcyclovir suppress reactivation of latent HSV infection. Which is correct?

Thanks ahead of time.

I think First Aid notes that HBV has both reverse transcriptase and a DNA-dependent DNA polymerase.

I think the point with those drugs as that they don't kill the latent forms but they can suppress reactivation if they are taken daily.

I think First Aid notes that HBV has both reverse transcriptase and a DNA-dependent DNA polymerase.

I think the point with those drugs as that they don't kill the latent forms but they can suppress reactivation if they are taken daily.

I agree. The DNA dep DNA pol is to complete the HBV partial genome once it gets in the cell.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r181258072273360/

It has both. First, DNA dependent RNA Polymerase transcribes the DNA into RNA. RNA Dependent DNA Polymerase makes a single strand of the DNA from RNA. DNA Dependent DNA Polymerase then makes the second strand.

I don't know anything about the acyclovir/valacyclovir controversy. My assumption would be that if the virus is integrated into the genome and not replicating, then acyclovir/valacyclovir would be ineffective. The whole point is that these drugs keep the virus latent so that you don't have flare ups.