HEP B vaccination Potential issues with matriculation date

Started by rx001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rx001

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not immunized for Hep B and Matriculating in August. Plan to start the process next week. Most schools need Hep B vaccination as a matriculation requirement.

Per HEP B 3 doses schedule dose 1 --> 30days --> dose 2 --> 5 months --> dose 3 --> 5 weeks --> titer test. It will take approximately 6.5 months.

In case titer test comes back negative, we have to repeat the full cycle. It can take another 6 to 7 months.

Am I analyzing it right or missing anything. If I have to repeat the cycle will I miss my matriculation date. I am sure there could be many people who would be or would have faced the same issue. Let me know
 
just checked in with the school in question. the Nurse from the health clinic confirmed that HEP B is not compulsory. I guess it is needed in due course of time. But compulsory one is MMR requirement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They won’t rescind an admission if you’re actively getting immunized. Chill.
additionally, you can get CpG-adjuvanted recombinant hepatitis B vaccine (HepB-CpG) (Heplisav-B) which is a 2 dose series administered 1 month apart if you're worried about timing.
 
Fun fact, I just got my titers and am finally immune to Hep B lol. Just stay on schedule with the doses and you'll be fine.

If it comes back negative again, your school will make you take extra precautions when interacting with patients [that's what I was told when I asked]. But, don't worry about that until you have to!
 
Everyone has already answered this, but I twice had the first two doses of the three and then moved before I was able to get the third at 6 mos, but they took a titer when j started school, I had it, and that was sufficient for them lol. You will be fine.
 
Also, check your MMR titers assuming your school isn't already making you. I feel like 10% of my class wasn't immune to measles. I don't go to school in an endemic area but lacking measles antibody could be really bad if you were in NY or CA.
 
Back from the doctors office. PCP said that I should have been vaccinated when I was young and only need to run the titer for HEP B. Is that true. I dont have records of my previous vaccinations.
 
Back from the doctors office. PCP said that I should have been vaccinated when I was young and only need to run the titer for HEP B. Is that true. I dont have records of my previous vaccinations.
Most likely true. Kids born in 1992-94 were being vaccinated for Hep B in the first weeks of life... for kids born earlier there was a "catch up" vaccination program. I would expect that most of you were vaccinated for Hep B as babies.