Hepatitis B - Antibodies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistOhYeah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Temple require a positive Hepatitis B screening before matriculation? Just got a booster today because I tested negative for the antibodies. Had the full set of vaccines as a child.

My doctor said the standard protocol is to wait 6 months for the next testing. That 6 months for me will be in early September. Did any current students have any issue with this, or do you anticipate me having any problems since matriculation is in late August?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure, but for my school I had to have 3 doses OR show a positive antibody titre.

You could always just contract Hep-B and then get better, before dschool, then you would have plenty of antibodies!

Members don't see this ad :)
... So, you are about to enroll at a health professions doctoral program and an online forum seemed like the appropriate venue to post this type of question with your private medical information? :confused:

In the time it took you to craft this thread you could have emailed or called Temple directly and received a specific, personal response.

Do you really think a Hepatitis screening is going to prevent you from enrolling in a normal fashion?

Does Temple require a positive Hepatitis B screening before matriculation? Just got a booster today because I tested negative for the antibodies. Had the full set of vaccines as a child.

My doctor said the standard protocol is to wait 6 months for the next testing. That 6 months for me will be in early September. Did any current students have any issue with this, or do you anticipate me having any problems since matriculation is in late August?

I'm in the exact situation. Had my booster several weeks ago. I talked to a lady at one of the schools I was admitted to and she said it's fairly common for a negative antibody test. It usually takes one more booster and you'll get a positive antibody in 6 months. If that doesn't work you just have to keep getting boosters every 6 months but you'll be fine for entering school.

Reactions: 1 user
... So, you are about to enroll at a health professions doctoral program and an online forum seemed like the appropriate venue to post this type of question with your private medical information? :confused:

In the time it took you to craft this thread you could have emailed or called Temple directly and received a specific, personal response.

Do you really think a Hepatitis screening is going to prevent you from enrolling in a normal fashion?

Don't be dumb.

It won't be a problem. The hep B vaccine is only a precaution before seeing patients in the clinic and I'm guessing you won't be in clinic for at least a few months after starting.

If you tested positive, it could prevent you from enrolling.

Really? This is simply false. Could a screening result or lack thereof prevent someone from entering clinic? Maybe. Would it prevent someone from enrolling at school?? Come on...

My larger point still remains... for a cohort of future healthcare professionals - many of which are already relevant professionals - the level of problem solving is astounding. How posting a question such as this makes the cut as the first sensible action in the line of discovering an answer when all you would have to do is call or email the school to get the exact answer is beyond me... But I digress...

I had the same thing. Got the 1st shot in the series again. One month later got retitered and was positive for Abs. And I also looked up if you get the series but still no effect; you get prescribed under medication, not sure which but it's along the lines of that.

antibody titer just tests to see if your body has made antibodies against hep B. I was immunized as a kid, but it probably didn't work out well because maternal antibodies may clear the vaccination or your immune system isn't developed well enough to mount an immune response. I'm getting my hep b series done by the time I enter d-school. I am getting the 2nd one next week.

The first booster is 75-80% and the next booster is another 5% or so and the final, third booster usually gets people there. Around 15% of the time, folks still won't have the antibodies and you can have additional boosters.

And tinman831, If you test positive for Hep B and actually have Hep B, the University cannot prevent you from enrolling - that would be discrimination and against the law. I would think that would be obvious. So that should answer the original question.

The first booster is 75-80% and the next booster is another 5% or so and the final, third booster usually gets people there. Around 15% of the time, folks still won't have the antibodies and you can have additional boosters.

And tinman831, If you test positive for Hep B and actually have Hep B, the University cannot prevent you from enrolling - that would be discrimination and against the law. I would think that would be obvious. So that should answer the original question.
I thought I read on here that there are some schools that won't take you if you're Hep B positive (Tufts is the one that comes to mind), while others limit what you're allowed to do.

Yes, schools are allowed to deny out admission if you're Hep B positive or fail to get the proper immunizations prior to enrolling. When you get an offer of admissions it is usually contingent upon multiple things: submission of deposit, background check, submission of official transcript, immunization history and whatever else that they determine. If you fail to meet these criteria, then you are not able to enroll. It's no different than not fulfilling your prereqs prior to applying. If you don't have them all, they won't accept you. Most schools are very upfront about this when you're applying. Tufts sent me something in August letting me know I needed to have my Hep B stuff done by June 1, way before I even got an interview.

It's not discrimination to deny someone with a communicable disease entry into their program. It is in the best interest of patient safety, that's all.

You should review Federal Anti-Discrimination laws...

Failing to get proper immunizations or failing to submit proper information is not the same as having a condition or disease.

Antibody test not viral load.

Correct.

Really? This is simply false. Could a screening result or lack thereof prevent someone from entering clinic? Maybe. Would it prevent someone from enrolling at school?? Come on...

Tufts will not allow you to matriculate if you have hep B. I believe all of the Canadian schools have the same stringent requirements.
If you choose to not get your screenings done, you can forget about attending any dental school at all since you refuse to meet their requirements.

And to further answer the OP's questions, each school has their own deadlines for booster shots. Your best bet is to do what UVA said and contact the school and ask them directly. Or read the forms that the school mailed to you.