Hepatitis b surface antibody

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1nycdoc8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if you guys could tell me why there is no Hep b surface antibody found in chronic carriers. I find that there's a lapse in my immunology and I can't explain this blood finding. Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's probably from the Anti-HbSAg binding to the HbSAg forming immune complexes that are getting cleared by macrophages so that's why you don't see them there.

You're probably not making more because your memory B cells have become anergic? Just a guess.

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you guys could tell me why there is no Hep b surface antibody found in chronic carriers. I find that there's a lapse in my immunology and I can't explain this blood finding. Thanks for all the help!
Just a guess, because I don't know, but I'd wonder if it has anything to do with tolerance development.

vicinihil gets partial credit.

Straight from page 297 of Lange Immuno:

"Chronic carriers have negative antibody tests [HBsAb], but HBsAb is being made by these individuals. It is undetected in the tests because it is bound to the large amount of HBsAg present in the plasma. They are not tolerant to HBsAg."

vicinihil gets partial credit.

Straight from page 297 of Lange Immuno:

"Chronic carriers have negative antibody tests [HBsAb], but HBsAb is being made by these individuals. It is undetected in the tests because it is bound to the large amount of HBsAg present in the plasma. They are not tolerant to HBsAg."

AHHHHHHHH YA. ya..... ya. ya.y ay.es. yes yessss thanks!!!!!!! I'll make sure to pick up a copy of that book for board studying