Hepatobiliary surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanatos

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone know where I can find more info about hepatobiliary fellowships? I've done some searching but can't seem to find too much info...any ideas on where these programs are/how competitive/etc....

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, anyone know where I can find more info about hepatobiliary fellowships? I've done some searching but can't seem to find too much info...any ideas on where these programs are/how competitive/etc....

Thanks in advance!

I know the following have HP fellowships:

Cleveland Clinc
MSK
Ohio State (I think its called Advanced GI Surgery and Therapeutic Endoscopy)
U of Toronto
U of Chicago
Mt Sinai
Baylor

I'm sure there are others.

In the US, most hepatobiliary surgeons are either
a) Surg onc trained or
b) liver transplant trained

As dr. cox stated, there are a few places which may offer separate HB training, but they are not that common.

Some of the surg onc fellowships allow you to choose an area of focus and increase your case load in that area (i.e. at UPitt you can do a year of general surg onc, then the next yr specialize in breast, HB, melanoma, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins.

But I forget what they're calling it these days.

foregut, often

This is actually confusing because there isn't a very official match and there are several ways to go about getting hepatobillary training. I would look at this web site www.ihpba.org. The are also some programs that match through the fellowship council (www.fellowshipcouncil.org) that call themselves hepatobillary fellowships.