Here we go again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alshera

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So technically I'm a re-applicant this cycle to a handful of schools

undergrad Cum GPA. 3.08 sGPA 3.0
1st MCAT: 23 2nd MCAT: 29O 10PS 9VR 10BS made a huge improvement in PS and BS my VR stayed the same

Purdue University's special Master's program GPA: 3.77

EC's- Medical Educator for Outreach Kenya (AIDS education to rural Kenyan populations)

Timmy Foundation Medical Trip to Honduras and the Dominican- handed out hygiene products and helped with exams

UNICEF- over the course of 4 years raised lots of money for clinics and earthquake victims, went to a clinic to volunteer for 6 months (two 3 month trips)

Clinical Research Asst which lead to a publication 50+hrs

Worked throughout all of undergrad as a research assistant (partly responsible for the GPA but hey I needed to pay for school) no publications
but loved it

Volunteer Spanish Medical Interpreter 2 yrs
Patient Care tech- lots of hands on experience with patients doctors nurses for a year

there's more but those are the biggies, good LORS plus I'm starting to volunteer at the children hospital and shadow more physicians this summer

I'm instate at IU and will be applying there and was also thinking Drexel but am not sure what other schools to apply to and if I even have a shot... Any advice/comments would be appreciated. I'm having kind of a low day so nothing too harsh okay? :) P.S. I applied this past year to IU and got no love, and same with 3 other schools and am waitlisted at one other.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have the same numbers as you... SO YOU BETTER HAVE A CHANCE!! hahaha

But in all serious, I'm in the exact same boat as you... but I think you have better numbers

2.8 UG, 4.0 SMP... 28Q

I have some pretty good EC's... and some (hopefully) strong letters of rec's

For MD schools... personally, I would love to get in with our numbers... and I certainly think we have a chance (apply smart, apply early, write a great personal statement)... but I am thinking that in the case that we do not get in... we would need to retake the MCAT and do 32/33+... in order to make up for our subpar UG gpa (and subpar overall GPA)

For DO schools, I dont know too much about them, but I think we have a shot with our numbers as is (but I'm gonna stick with MD).

Stay positive.. because I really do think we have a shot with our numbers. And if we really want it bad, we should be willing to wait another year to boost our credentials.

I posted a couple of threads similar to this one you posted... check out the responses I got:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=632269

by the way... you have a link to you SMP at purdue?? I'm from Chicago and would love to take a look at the website...

I had a 3.8 gpa and 29O mcat with no love from MD schools, but I think its becuase I live in a tough state to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.8 gpa and 29O mcat with no love from MD schools, but I think its becuase I live in a tough state to get into.

Do you apply to the out-of-state loving medical schools? If not, I would give it a try. Your stats sound good enough to get in.

But in all serious, I'm in the exact same boat as you... but I think you have better numbers

2.8 UG, 4.0 SMP... 28Q

For MD schools... personally, I would love to get in with our numbers... and I certainly think we have a chance (apply smart, apply early, write a great personal statement)... but I am thinking that in the case that we do not get in... we would need to retake the MCAT and do 32/33+... in order to make up for our subpar UG gpa (and subpar overall GPA)

For DO schools, I dont know too much about them, but I think we have a shot with our numbers as is (but I'm gonna stick with MD).

Stay positive.. because I really do think we have a shot with our numbers. And if we really want it bad, we should be willing to wait another year to boost our credentials.

I posted a couple of threads similar to this one you posted... check out the responses I got:

by the way... you have a link to you SMP at purdue?? I'm from Chicago and would love to take a look at the website...

Yea I actually read your post before I put mine up! I got a waitlist this year with my MCAT and so that gives me a little more hope for a acceptance next year and that was before I even had my final SMP grades. Also I'm applying in the same state I did my SMP and my UG in so I think that'll help me because again Indiana is my top choice. But I just wanted to really know what other MD schools I should look into other then Drexel and Rosalind Franklin. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

2.8 UG, 4.0 SMP... 28Q

Remain hopeful! I got accepted today!

Do you apply to the out-of-state loving medical schools? If not, I would give it a try. Your stats sound good enough to get in.

I think its because of my verbal score which was a 8. That and maybe because of my late application.

2.8 UG, 4.0 SMP... 28Q

Just wanna jump in here real quick....the 2.8 UG is going to hurt, and a lot. From what I understand, more and more schools are just not looking at sub-3.0 UG, no matter how good the SMP/postbac/whatever may be. I think if you don't get in this time around, of course, your MCAT retaking plan is a good one, but also consider some Postbac work to pull the GPA up to 3.0. That seems to be developing into a must-have credential. This is about allopathic schools. In terms of DO, I think you, and the OP are good to go as is.