BOTH Here's a graph depicting SDN users with both COMLEX & USMLE scores (2013-2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Please_Stand_By

Vault Doc
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was aggregated before, but I browsed through various threads of the last 2-3 years and compiled a scatterplot of Step/Level 1 scores. Most scores are 2014-2015 for the record.

One major issue: most disclosed scores are from those who scored well to begin with, although, those who score low in COMLEX are less likely to take the USMLE so that could explain this phenomenon here. This definitely could use more Ns here, so if you have taken both and haven't publicly listed scores, feel free to PM me and I will make the updates!

mqv7b4K.png

Polynomial. One new plot included.
HGi3odH.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure if this was aggregated before, but I browsed through various threads of the last 2-3 years and compiled a scatterplot of Step/Level 1 scores. Most scores are 2014-2015 for the record.

One major issue: most disclosed scores are from those who scored well to begin with, although, those who score low in COMLEX are less likely to take the USMLE so that could explain this phenomenon here. This definitely could use more Ns here, so if you have taken both and haven't publicly listed scores, feel free to PM me and I will make the updates!

mqv7b4K.png
Two people got perfect scores on the COMLEX? How is that even possible...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I actually had no idea. I'd just never even heard of a score higher than 800, so assumed it was the max. The more you know...
Yup, it can happen. Supposedly someone at my school years ago made over an 815 and coincidentally decided to go derm.

Interesting to see how it's "easier" to get a higher COMLEX score than a USMLE score. For example, 230 on the USMLE which is an average score correlates with 560 on COMLEX (IIRC, the average was ~520).

Wow, I actually had no idea. I'd just never even heard of a score higher than 800, so assumed it was the max. The more you know...
I secondhand know someone who got ~850 and heard of someone who got 900+ like how is that even possible? COMLEX is a f**** exam. I wonder if some PDs may think that exam is out of 1000 pts. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
Alright, the final graph is here. All I could find from the COMLEX threads and a few of the
USMLE threads from all the way back to 2007.

N = 58.

Good luck to whoever decides to take both!

DVtiYqI.png

Interpretation:
400 = 190
500 = 210
600 = 230
700 = 250
800 = 260

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Got 250s on my NBMEs and a 606 COMLEX.

Hope I get better than a 230 on Step lol. HURRY UP WEDNESDAY
If you were getting 250's on NBME, it's highly unlikely that you'd get 230s on the real thing. People usually score 10+/- their NBME average. I have yet to see a person who scores 20 points lower.

This pep talk is more to console me than you, tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for putting the work into this. Really interesting data and frankly I'm quite surprised the correlation is so high. I have my Step 1 score and am waiting for COMLEX, which will be released Monday or Tuesday (probably Tuesday night, knowing NBOME). This definitely helps ease the anxiety a little bit :)

Reactions: 1 user