here's the scoop...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOin it

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright everyone, i truly believe anything's possible...but it would still help to hear some feedback from other pre-meders and/or current med students. i'm new to sdn, but have noted that you guys seem to be a great resource and source of encouragement. keep it up!
here are my stats, i would appreciate any feedback that you might have:
dual major: Biology-Chemistry & Span.

*3.4 gpa (i know a little below avg)
*taking aug mcat (<2 wks ahhh!): scoring 22's with kaplan practice exams (although i hear these might be more difficult than AAMC exams...some have reported pt increases on avg of 3-4pts with actual exam...(also would appreciate more info on kaplan vs aamc mcat if anyone knows anything).
*numerous volunteer/community service hours and leadership roles held.
*clinical research experience; journal publication; on-campus health asst (2yrs)
*foreign study abroad, ecuador (5 mo); and translator and asst to physicians in nicaragua (1 mo).
* great recs from a DO and MD physician.

Members don't see this ad.

with regards to your kaplan prep vs. real-deal MCAT question, I heard that kaplan was about the same as the MCAT and princeton review was more difficult...but I take all that with a grain of salt. For me personally, I took Kaplan and scored right at where my practice exams were.

DOin it said:
alright everyone, i truly believe anything's possible...but it would still help to hear some feedback from other pre-meders and/or current med students. i'm new to sdn, but have noted that you guys seem to be a great resource and source of encouragement. keep it up!

*taking aug mcat (<2 wks ahhh!): scoring 22's with kaplan practice exams (although i hear these might be more difficult than AAMC exams...some have reported pt increases on avg of 3-4pts with actual exam...(also would appreciate more info on kaplan vs aamc mcat if anyone knows anything).
*clinical research experience; journal publication; on-campus health asst (2yrs)
*foreign study abroad, ecuador (5 mo); and translator and asst to physicians in nicaragua (1 mo).

Sounds good to me, except work on that MCAT score a little bit. I am preparing for the August 19th exam and I started at a 19 and now I am up to a 30 (AAMC tests). I still have forms 8 & 9 to take. I have found it is hard to significantly bring up the verbal score, but my Bio score started at a 5 and on the last form it was an 11. Physical can go up similarly. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
DOin it said:

I don't know how Kaplan practice correlates to the real one because I took a Princeton Review course (ACE) and scored in the high 20's but on the April test I got a 30.....

hey thanks you guys! i'm definitely working on the mcat score and i won't bank on the tests varying upon difficulty level. i think i'll be happy with increasing my score by 3 pts come test time...but that's great that you are scoring 30s. i really appreciate the info! best of luck to you guys as well!

DOin it said:

I think you'll be fine as long as you can score 25 or above on MCAT.

You should take an AAMC test before the real thing August 19th. If you are signed up for a class with Kaplan, they have several of the AAMC tests available for the students. Try one of these to get a feel for where you will stand. I think your stats are pretty good, just work on the MCAT a bit. Good luck!

AngryBaby said:
with regards to your kaplan prep vs. real-deal MCAT question, I heard that kaplan was about the same as the MCAT and princeton review was more difficult...but I take all that with a grain of salt. For me personally, I took Kaplan and scored right at where my practice exams were.

I got 32-34s on the TPR practice tests and a 30 on the real thing. So, TPRs must be easier, at least in my situation.

i tried getting an aamc test through kaplan, but i'm taking an online course and i guess they only offer it in the classroom setting +pissed+ haha, oh well it was worth a try. i prob should think about buying an aamc test, but i've already put a lot of money in kaplan to begin with! probably just stick it out.