DOin it

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
alright everyone, i truly believe anything's possible...but it would still help to hear some feedback from other pre-meders and/or current med students. i'm new to sdn, but have noted that you guys seem to be a great resource and source of encouragement. keep it up!
here are my stats, i would appreciate any feedback that you might have:
dual major: Biology-Chemistry & Span.

*3.4 gpa (i know a little below avg)
*taking aug mcat (<2 wks ahhh!): scoring 22's with kaplan practice exams (although i hear these might be more difficult than AAMC exams...some have reported pt increases on avg of 3-4pts with actual exam...(also would appreciate more info on kaplan vs aamc mcat if anyone knows anything).
*numerous volunteer/community service hours and leadership roles held.
*clinical research experience; journal publication; on-campus health asst (2yrs)
*foreign study abroad, ecuador (5 mo); and translator and asst to physicians in nicaragua (1 mo).
* great recs from a DO and MD physician.

AngryBaby

El Hefe
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
Somewhere in-between success and failure
Status
Medical Student
with regards to your kaplan prep vs. real-deal MCAT question, I heard that kaplan was about the same as the MCAT and princeton review was more difficult...but I take all that with a grain of salt. For me personally, I took Kaplan and scored right at where my practice exams were.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
DOin it said:
alright everyone, i truly believe anything's possible...but it would still help to hear some feedback from other pre-meders and/or current med students. i'm new to sdn, but have noted that you guys seem to be a great resource and source of encouragement. keep it up!

*taking aug mcat (<2 wks ahhh!): scoring 22's with kaplan practice exams (although i hear these might be more difficult than AAMC exams...some have reported pt increases on avg of 3-4pts with actual exam...(also would appreciate more info on kaplan vs aamc mcat if anyone knows anything).
*clinical research experience; journal publication; on-campus health asst (2yrs)
*foreign study abroad, ecuador (5 mo); and translator and asst to physicians in nicaragua (1 mo).
Sounds good to me, except work on that MCAT score a little bit. I am preparing for the August 19th exam and I started at a 19 and now I am up to a 30 (AAMC tests). I still have forms 8 & 9 to take. I have found it is hard to significantly bring up the verbal score, but my Bio score started at a 5 and on the last form it was an 11. Physical can go up similarly. Good luck!

About the Ads

kylecare

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
Davie, FL
byu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
DOin it said:

I don't know how Kaplan practice correlates to the real one because I took a Princeton Review course (ACE) and scored in the high 20's but on the April test I got a 30.....

OP
D

DOin it

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
hey thanks you guys! i'm definitely working on the mcat score and i won't bank on the tests varying upon difficulty level. i think i'll be happy with increasing my score by 3 pts come test time...but that's great that you are scoring 30s. i really appreciate the info! best of luck to you guys as well!

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
DOin it said:

I think you'll be fine as long as you can score 25 or above on MCAT.

Soccer885

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Florida
Status
Medical Student
You should take an AAMC test before the real thing August 19th. If you are signed up for a class with Kaplan, they have several of the AAMC tests available for the students. Try one of these to get a feel for where you will stand. I think your stats are pretty good, just work on the MCAT a bit. Good luck!

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
AngryBaby said:
with regards to your kaplan prep vs. real-deal MCAT question, I heard that kaplan was about the same as the MCAT and princeton review was more difficult...but I take all that with a grain of salt. For me personally, I took Kaplan and scored right at where my practice exams were.
I got 32-34s on the TPR practice tests and a 30 on the real thing. So, TPRs must be easier, at least in my situation.

OP
D

DOin it

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
i tried getting an aamc test through kaplan, but i'm taking an online course and i guess they only offer it in the classroom setting +pissed+ haha, oh well it was worth a try. i prob should think about buying an aamc test, but i've already put a lot of money in kaplan to begin with! probably just stick it out.

About the Ads