Hey all COMLEX only or need USMLE for neuro residencies..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm an incoming OMS1, so take my advice as you please, but besides working harder, what are the down sides to taking the USMLE? It only will make you a better student, open more doors, and prove that you are hard working. You should definitely take it.

Yes take both, they will compare you vs your MD counterparts. IF they cant have any ground to compare you to, they will just discard your app to put it bluntly

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have to take it... I'll match somewhere, whether its PMR, IM or Neuro but I'm definitely going to bust my you know what to do well. I usually do well on standardized exams so i'm not worried.

I think w/ Ankie, broencephalon, U World ill be ready, or at least get average on the USMLE.
because you are graduating in a post merger world i would strongly recommend it. Peoples mind change all the time on what they want to go into. You dont want close any doors. But, w.e yolo, you do you fam

I don't want to do fam, id rather do IM. I'm really aiming for PMR or neuro. but PMR >>> Neuro.
Are you a lucky charms > cocoa puffs kinda person? I like both for the record.

Take both for neurology. It's a fairly small specialty and PDs really don't know how to interpret COMLEX scores most of the time

Reactions: 1 user
For any even mildly competitive neurology residency program, you would need the USMLE - especially as time goes on, such as after the merger. Would not count solely on COMPLEX, if I were you.