Hey Barton

Started by Darwin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Darwin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What was your impression of SLU? How did your interview go?
 
Darwin,
I actually really liked SLU. Before going there, I had some misgivings about the city and the University. I had heard that the med school was kind of a bottom-feeder, and that the city was super-ghetto and stuff. I stayed with a student host. He showed me around both the town and the university and gave me lots of great insider info that was super helpful. I enjoyed the tour, and my interview went really well. My interviewer was really nice and informative. Also, she seemed to like me (which is always a plus). My file went to the adcom yesterday, so I hope to hear pretty soon. Were you at SLU last tuesday?
 
You know, I had heard so much about the school prior to going there...much along the same lines as your pre-impressions of the school. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything there that changed my mind. I didn't get the student host information in time to stay with a student so I had to stay in a hotel...in a very crummy one. Market street was SWEET, but one block north or south (except for the areas around Busch stadium) seemed really shady to me. I was not impressed with the location of the school or of its' layout. I didn't like how the day seemed SO unorganized and while I tried to converse with many of the students, none of them seemed interested. Even the tour guide, when asked, "How do you like it here?" replied "It's a good school, and I suppose you can find stuff to do". Not the anticipated "Man! This place is AWESOME...you need to come here if you get a chance!..." Kind of left me with the feeling that it might be a bottom feeder atmosphere.
Nevertheless, I was really looking forward to my interview despite these problems...unfortunately that didn't fare too well for me either. I had heard so much about how great the interviewers were, and how they "just wanted to get to know you". My interviewer hadn't even touched my file prior to the interview, and was VERY argumentative during the entire thing. The fact that my file wasn't even looked over told me a lot about the school. Overall, SLU started as one of my last options, and unfortunately has to remain there after my experience.
Glad you had such a great time...believe me, I would have much rather spent my $500 on a trip from which afterwards I would have enjoyed.