Hey guys - I need help deciding between gap year jobs/experiences

seagerco1

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2018
I am soon to be beginning one of at least two gap years and am fortunate enough to have two potential opportunities that I am having trouble deciding between. Both options offer the same salary, and I am very interested in both lines of research. One option provides better mentorship/research opportunity but gives me less clinical exposure than the other path. For reference, I currently have ~250 hrs of clinical work as an MA and ~300 hours of clinical volunteering but really don't know how to decide between two great experiences.

Option 1: Work full-time as a researcher under an MD doing bioengineering-related research work but no patient interaction. Would be able to get a few 1st/2nd author pubs.

Option 2: Work part-time as a researcher for a general surgery resident in her clinical research year and get a 2nd author publication or two while also working part time as a MA/scribe.

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
Both of these seem like great opportunities. Honestly, do whichever one you personally think you will enjoy more/ find more fulfilling.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
For option 1, how much contact would you have with the MD? Are they hands on with the projects or are they mostly dealing with administrative matters?

About the Ads

seagerco1

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2018
For option 1, how much contact would you have with the MD? Are they hands on with the projects or are they mostly dealing with administrative matters?
Project 1 would be a solid amount of interaction with the MD; seeing him 2-3 times a week and very hands on with my project whereas the second option would be more administrative/writing but giving me time to further expand my clinical exposure.

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Cool! Both options sound great, if you’re into bioengineering go with that. If you think you might be interested in surgery go with option 2. Either one will be a great EC. I don’t see one as having a significantly larger impact on your application.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads