hey other gals: patients requesting female doc

Started by la gringa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

i am clearly a heartless b!tch... i also thought mom might own tylenol and/or a thermometer, or at least a bulb suction. wrong again.

Why would you go to walmart and spend part of your welfare check on a thermometer when you can just check in to the ED and have it done for you?

Sent from my A110 using Tapatalk 2
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tend to respect people's religious preferences, even though I'm not religious. It just seems so important to some people.

Here's a good one: my neighbor is an ED frequent flyer. As a black woman, she refuses to see either black doctors or woman doctors. She pitches a fit if either a black person or a woman comes in the room to see her.
 
I tend to respect people's religious preferences, even though I'm not religious. It just seems so important to some people.

Here's a good one: my neighbor is an ED frequent flyer. As a black woman, she refuses to see either black doctors or woman doctors. She pitches a fit if either a black person or a woman comes in the room to see her.

So could compliance with these requests now place hospitals at risk of lawsuits?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nurse-lawsuit-father-request-granted/1928253/
 
I thought that EM was egalitarian in its mission. Why shouldn't we accept the same from our patients? The doctor you get in the ED is the doctor you get.

I try to accommodate patient's wishes (religious, personal) as best as possible and if it is within reason and ability. However, when a Muslim woman asks for a woman to perform a pelvic examination and none is available on the shift then you're examination of a vaginal bleed will be performed by a man -- if you don't want that then you are more than free to leave the ED and find OB/GYN on your own. The same applies to any religion, political, or personal POV.

If you're coming to the ED for an emergency, then put your demands to the side and let's get working on your issue.
 
I liked when a middle eastern female presented for genital lesions. Refused to let males do the pelvic exam. No male physicians in the pod that day. The attending told her she could wait if she wants but it'll be at least an hour before a female physician could come from the other section of the ED or we could do it now. She chose to wait.

Female resident wasn't sure what the lesions were. The patient allowed her to take pictures of them with her cell phone with knowledge that she was going to go show us (2-3 men).

???
 
Hello all-

Read through this thread and need too chime in a little perspective that I have gained with 15 years in practice in an urban ED that sees a very diverse patient population including a large percentage of Muslim patients. BTW, I'm female, not Muslim, and as white as a new medical student coat.

I too used to think these requests were inappropriate, but then I attended a fantastic lecture at AAEM given on the "care of the muslim patient" given by Dr. Usamah Mossallam, MD from Henry Ford.

What I learned is that this request comes from a very deep cultural root. Not all Muslims will make this request, but those that follow traditional culture will. Their culture emphases purity and modesty, and it is strongly emphasized that a married man should not be touched by a female other than his wife, and a married man should not be touched by a male other than her husband. It isn't the individual having some sexual bias toward you; it is adherence to age-old cultural customs. This is the reason that some Muslim men will refrain from shaking a female's hand, and some women will request exam by a female. It is to show respect to their spouse, and adherence to their cultural roots. For "popular" majority culture, which emphasizes sexuality and physical appearance this does seem odd, I know.

If understanding this doesn't sway you at all, consider this...for families that follow strict Muslim tradition, if the woman has no choice but to undergo examination by a male physician (either because none is available or someone has decided to have an issue with their request and refuse to accomodate it,) she must go through a period of shunning, or social rejection, following this. I personally don't see a reason to put a woman through that if there is the option of being flexible and open-minded on our end.

Yes, it is tempting to holler "if you don't like it go somewhere else" but imagine being sick or in pain and be expected to bounce from ED to ED until you happen to get assigned a same sex physician.

There are a lot of components of majority culture that make zero sense to others that we still expect to be respected and tolerated. It is not our place to "fix" or judge cultural traditions that predate our own existences by centuries. I urge you to afford other cultures the same consideration and give respect that you would have given to your own. The next time you get such a request, please think about where it comes from, and accomodate it if you are able. If not (ie, the only option truly is an opposite sex examiner) be honest about the choices and let the patient know you would have been willing to accomodate them but it isn't possible. Then give them the choice. If they are very sick they will probably just stay.

An additional nugget for politeness; it is considered very kind and culturally aware if an opposite sex examiner must touch a patient in this situation that touch be limited to minimum necessary (eg, don't rest your hand on their back as you talk) and use the phrase "please excuse my hands" before you make contact.

You will either value this advice or discard it, up to you. Just want to provide the info so you can be the compassionate doctor you want to be. Oh and BTW not all Muslims are on Medicaid, just like not all whites are on Medicaid. The cardiologist who rushes you to the cath lab and saves your life a few decades may be a Muslim who is not on Medicaid.

Here is Dr. Mossallam's awesome AAEM lecture:

http://freeemergencytalks.net/2010/04/sam-mossallam-the-arab-muslim-patient-in-the-ed/
 
Hello all-

Read through this thread and need too chime in a little perspective that I have gained with 15 years in practice in an urban ED that sees a very diverse patient population including a large percentage of Muslim patients. BTW, I'm female, not Muslim, and as white as a new medical student coat.

I too used to think these requests were inappropriate, but then I attended a fantastic lecture at AAEM given on the "care of the muslim patient" given by Dr. Usamah Mossallam, MD from Henry Ford.

What I learned is that this request comes from a very deep cultural root. Not all Muslims will make this request, but those that follow traditional culture will. Their culture emphases purity and modesty, and it is strongly emphasized that a married man should not be touched by a female other than his wife, and a married man should not be touched by a male other than her husband. It isn't the individual having some sexual bias toward you; it is adherence to age-old cultural customs. This is the reason that some Muslim men will refrain from shaking a female's hand, and some women will request exam by a female. It is to show respect to their spouse, and adherence to their cultural roots. For "popular" majority culture, which emphasizes sexuality and physical appearance this does seem odd, I know.

If understanding this doesn't sway you at all, consider this...for families that follow strict Muslim tradition, if the woman has no choice but to undergo examination by a male physician (either because none is available or someone has decided to have an issue with their request and refuse to accomodate it,) she must go through a period of shunning, or social rejection, following this. I personally don't see a reason to put a woman through that if there is the option of being flexible and open-minded on our end.

Yes, it is tempting to holler "if you don't like it go somewhere else" but imagine being sick or in pain and be expected to bounce from ED to ED until you happen to get assigned a same sex physician.

There are a lot of components of majority culture that make zero sense to others that we still expect to be respected and tolerated. It is not our place to "fix" or judge cultural traditions that predate our own existences by centuries. I urge you to afford other cultures the same consideration and give respect that you would have given to your own. The next time you get such a request, please think about where it comes from, and accomodate it if you are able. If not (ie, the only option truly is an opposite sex examiner) be honest about the choices and let the patient know you would have been willing to accomodate them but it isn't possible. Then give them the choice. If they are very sick they will probably just stay.

An additional nugget for politeness; it is considered very kind and culturally aware if an opposite sex examiner must touch a patient in this situation that touch be limited to minimum necessary (eg, don't rest your hand on their back as you talk) and use the phrase "please excuse my hands" before you make contact.

You will either value this advice or discard it, up to you. Just want to provide the info so you can be the compassionate doctor you want to be. Oh and BTW not all Muslims are on Medicaid, just like not all whites are on Medicaid. The cardiologist who rushes you to the cath lab and saves your life a few decades may be a Muslim who is not on Medicaid.

Here is Dr. Mossallam's awesome AAEM lecture:

http://freeemergencytalks.net/2010/04/sam-mossallam-the-arab-muslim-patient-in-the-ed/


I have this discussion with my non-strict Muslim friends from time to time when we have patients like this, they and I both agree that when you come to the ED, if you believe you truly need help, you gotta check some of your religious beliefs at the door, otherwise adequate care will be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver.

We have had patients like this, not only Muslims but Orthodox Jews among others, who will not allow nurses or doctors of the wrong gender to touch them. At that point you gotta wonder why they bother coming in in the first place.

Believe what you want, but be reasonable people.
 
I have this discussion with my non-strict Muslim friends from time to time when we have patients like this, they and I both agree that when you come to the ED, if you believe you truly need help, you gotta check some of your religious beliefs at the door, otherwise adequate care will be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver.

We have had patients like this, not only Muslims but Orthodox Jews among others, who will not allow nurses or doctors of the wrong gender to touch them. At that point you gotta wonder why they bother coming in in the first place.

Believe what you want, but be reasonable people.

agree, i have had the same discussion with my muslim friends and they say that requests such as these make muslims look bad - there is NOTHING in the quran to this effect. medical care is medical care, it isn't cavorting around in a g-string at the beach.

and as a woman - it is completely unrealistic for me to DUMP the workload i have other other (always sicker) patients to go be the token female to do the pelvic? i have my own pts and i am there as a PHYSICIAN, not a WOMAN. i wasn't hired b/c i'm a woman nor is my ED staffed so that there is always a female provider (odds of a female midlevel are much higher!).

then you say ok, i'll do it when i have time (in my mind, you're going to the bottom of my "to see" list, b/c a physician HAS SEEN YOU and my other pts are waiting to see the doc. NO ONE will wait, they get impatient and act like you're impinging on their civil rights. (right to a same-sex provider? not in the US)

i try to be culturally sensitive, but in the ED this is not a reasonable request. i echo the egalitarian comment above - we are there for EMERGENCIES... i don't discriminate against ANYONE and i expect only the same in return. (keep in mind that i do get called all sorts of obscenities against women from time to time, even by female pts).

and the point about medicaid comes into play in that a privately insured pt can always get in to see their gyn for a pelvic complaint, but if i were on medicaid there's no way to get an urgent appointment.
 
You will either value this advice or discard it, up to you. Just want to provide the info so you can be the compassionate doctor you want to be. Oh and BTW not all Muslims are on Medicaid, just like not all whites are on Medicaid. The cardiologist who rushes you to the cath lab and saves your life a few decades may be a Muslim who is not on Medicaid.

Here is Dr. Mossallam's awesome AAEM lecture:

http://freeemergencytalks.net/2010/04/sam-mossallam-the-arab-muslim-patient-in-the-ed/

If you're in a foreign country there is an expectation to adjust to the customs to a certain degree. The United States is very tolerant in general towards different belief systems compared to the rest of the world, especially in the health care system. I honestly don't think it's asking too much from a patient that if you're in an emergency setting to get over what ever hangs up you have and let physicians do their job.

But this gets borderline ridiculous. Is it a physicians fault that a culture considers any type of contact between a man and woman inappropriate? In a busy ED, patient's making absurd demands delays care for everyone. Do you honestly think that a patient who demanded a female physician but is "stuck" with a male physician because of availability is going to be happy with any of the care they receive?

Patient's need to understand that physicians are just that. We don't take any joy in performing a pelvic exam, rectal exam, or male genital exam. We have to do these exams basically because no one else will.

Where does it stop? If a patient requests a certain race physician/nurse, should we kowtow to even this based on some belief system a patient pulls out of thin air?
 
Precisely.
Choosing not to see an opposite sex physician due to a belief is no different from choosing not to see an opposite race, age, or hair colored physician.
Can the person who agrees to acquiesce to gender requests due to "beliefs" honestly state that they would do the same if a patient came in saying "I don't want no old doctor", "I think blondes are dumb", or "No blacks"?
 
Precisely.
Choosing not to see an opposite sex physician due to a belief is no different from choosing not to see an opposite race, age, or hair colored physician.
Can the person who agrees to acquiesce to gender requests due to "beliefs" honestly state that they would do the same if a patient came in saying "I don't want no old doctor", "I think blondes are dumb", or "No blacks"?

It's different. The basis of the scenario that you are suggesting is hatred, or a belief that those named are inferior. Muslim women who request a female physician do not do it out of hatred or prejudice; they do so out of modesty and cultural custom. If you can't see the difference I can't help you.

I've yet to have a Muslim storm out when told she'd need to wait for me because I'm busy with a sicker patient. And my other patients are not "always sicker" by the way. Nor is a pelvic exam a high level plastics repair. It takes a few minutes.

Do whatever you want. If it slows down the ED, puts others at risk, or just isn't possible, then it is what it is. Say no. Just don't make the request it into something its not and use that as the basis of refusing for the "principle" of it when you could be accomodating. That's what I see more often. That's what most of this thread is about. Sorry if you find the info and different point of view offensive.
 
Precisely.
Choosing not to see an opposite sex physician due to a belief is no different from choosing not to see an opposite race, age, or hair colored physician.
Can the person who agrees to acquiesce to gender requests due to "beliefs" honestly state that they would do the same if a patient came in saying "I don't want no old doctor", "I think blondes are dumb", or "No blacks"?

This happened recently, not in an ED, but in a NICU.

"A Michigan hospital is under fire after a lawsuit claims it fulfilled a father’s request to have no black nurses look after his baby in the neonatal intensive care unit..."
 
It's different. The basis of the scenario that you are suggesting is hatred, or a belief that those named are inferior. Muslim women who request a female physician do not do it out of hatred or prejudice; they do so out of modesty and cultural custom. If you can't see the difference I can't help you.

I've yet to have a Muslim storm out when told she'd need to wait for me because I'm busy with a sicker patient. And my other patients are not "always sicker" by the way. Nor is a pelvic exam a high level plastics repair. It takes a few minutes.

Do whatever you want. If it slows down the ED, puts others at risk, or just isn't possible, then it is what it is. Say no. Just don't make the request it into something its not and use that as the basis of refusing for the "principle" of it when you could be accomodating. That's what I see more often. That's what most of this thread is about. Sorry if you find the info and different point of view offensive.

While your rationale of cultural custom for further completing the "Burger King" ED (Have it your way) may be different, the end effect is the same. Just like kids taken away from their JW parents for refusing to transfuse their cancer patients, which is based on "cultural custom". Racism is arguably a cultural custom.
And the vast majority of EDs in existence are single coverage. It's beyond not practical. It's flat out impossible.
Remember, this thread was started by a woman. I doubt the majority of the people requesting are Muslim at her shop.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's different. The basis of the scenario that you are suggesting is hatred, or a belief that those named are inferior. Muslim women who request a female physician do not do it out of hatred or prejudice; they do so out of modesty and cultural custom. If you can't see the difference I can't help you.

I've yet to have a Muslim storm out when told she'd need to wait for me because I'm busy with a sicker patient. And my other patients are not "always sicker" by the way. Nor is a pelvic exam a high level plastics repair. It takes a few minutes.

Do whatever you want. If it slows down the ED, puts others at risk, or just isn't possible, then it is what it is. Say no. Just don't make the request it into something its not and use that as the basis of refusing for the "principle" of it when you could be accomodating. That's what I see more often. That's what most of this thread is about. Sorry if you find the info and different point of view offensive.

Why does it matter if a patient's preference is based on "hatred" versus a cultural custom? What bearing does that have?

You can either give all patient's their preference in an emergency setting or not. It's asking for a lot to get healthcare workers determine the intent of a patient's preference. Should that be a nursing call or just a physician judgement?

This post isn't meant to be facetious but just to illustrate the problems that this situation can lead to in an emergency setting.
 
What's all this ? Religious beliefs being unreasonable and predicated on things not objectively verifiable ? Nahhh, can't be.

Pffft.

Why don't you just change the line under your username from "Common Sense" to "Militant Atheist", and stop beating this dead horse? It no longer resembles a horse, but just a mashed pile of meat, and is soon to be just a red mist in the air.
 
Why don't you just change the line under your username from "Common Sense" to "Militant Atheist", and stop beating this dead horse? It no longer resembles a horse, but just a mashed pile of meat, and is soon to be just a red mist in the air.

Or soon to be a European delicacy
 
Why don't you just change the line under your username from "Common Sense" to "Militant Atheist", and stop beating this dead horse? It no longer resembles a horse, but just a mashed pile of meat, and is soon to be just a red mist in the air.

I knew you'd have to say something.

Keyzer: You can call it whatever you want; cultural. religious. whatever.

The fact being debated here is "its unreasonable".
 
It's different. The basis of the scenario that you are suggesting is hatred, or a belief that those named are inferior. Muslim women who request a female physician do not do it out of hatred or prejudice; they do so out of modesty and cultural custom. If you can't see the difference I can't help you.

I've yet to have a Muslim storm out when told she'd need to wait for me because I'm busy with a sicker patient. And my other patients are not "always sicker" by the way. Nor is a pelvic exam a high level plastics repair. It takes a few minutes.

Do whatever you want. If it slows down the ED, puts others at risk, or just isn't possible, then it is what it is. Say no. Just don't make the request it into something its not and use that as the basis of refusing for the "principle" of it when you could be accomodating. That's what I see more often. That's what most of this thread is about. Sorry if you find the info and different point of view offensive.

I am going to address several points here. First, your condescending tone smacks greatly of the Pacific Northwest - Seattle or Portland, maybe? Or perhaps Dallas or Austin? I, personally, find, even the most mildly, offensive the statements of "If you can't see the difference I can't help you" and "Sorry if you find the info and different point of view offensive" Those are quite demeaning. The first, because you imply an intellectual deficit. The second is insulting because you combine "information" (facts) and "offense" (emotion) - that is akin to "I feel sorry for you (or "I find you pitiable") because you now know the world is round, and not flat".

That said, the substance of your posts make you sound like a fundamentalist apologist - had you not described yourself as white and denied being Muslim, I would have guessed that you were Muslim, and, if not that, Jewish, and, if not that, extremely liberal (and not in the Democrat/Republican sense). Remember, "it is good to have an open mind, but, if your mind is TOO open, your brains fall out". What do Muslims call non-muslims? "Kafirs" and "dhimmis". What are "dhimmis"? Non-Muslims in Muslim countries that pay a tax due to their non-belief, which is for their protection (in other words, an organized, official protection racket). The Muslims pay a religious tax called "Zakat", but the key is that they all pay religious tax money. The US does not do that. What do Jews call themselves? "The Chosen People" and "God's People" (and variations on those). What do they call non-Jews? "Goys" (or "Goyim") and "shiksas". These "no touch" religions, in their homelands, do enforce the religion on the people.

So, it IS "racist", and it is NOT "different". Look at the case that BirdStrike posted in his link; that has been getting news because nurses sued their hospital for acquiescing to a patient's family's wishes - no non-white nurses for the neonate. There would be NO DIFFERENCE if a nurse sued their hospital for acquiescing to a patient's wishes for a different doctor expressly because of the doctor's gender. In fact, combine EMTALA (see everyone, regardless of ability to pay) and the first amendment to the US Constitution (relevant part) "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" - what is the intersection? If the patient rejects the doctor because of the doctor's gender, due to patient's religious belief, then the law is satisfied.

Where I work, single covered, there are no female doctors, and there is one female PA that works not more than 5 shifts a month at our place. I don't even know where there is another female doc or midlevel in the ED within - literally - 50 miles of my workplace. I challenged anyone to name 5 female doctors (of any specialty) in our hospital - easily came up with 3, then one more - then stalled. There are 3 FM or IM female docs in the general area, so that is 7 - out of more than 100.

If a woman comes to the ED and wants a female doctor only, and has a life threatening condition, well, I am not going to assault her and treat her if she doesn't want me because I am a guy. If that leads to her death, am I wrong? And, if it is not an imminent life-threatening issue, does it belong in the ED, or can it wait for this person's preferred provider?
 
That said, the substance of your posts make you sound like a fundamentalist apologist - had you not described yourself as white and denied being Muslim, I would have guessed that you were Muslim, and, if not that, Jewish, and, if not that, extremely liberal (and not in the Democrat/Republican sense). Remember, "it is good to have an open mind, but, if your mind is TOO open, your brains fall out". What do Muslims call non-muslims? "Kafirs" and "dhimmis". What are "dhimmis"? Non-Muslims in Muslim countries that pay a tax due to their non-belief, which is for their protection (in other words, an organized, official protection racket). The Muslims pay a religious tax called "Zakat", but the key is that they all pay religious tax money. The US does not do that. What do Jews call themselves? "The Chosen People" and "God's People" (and variations on those). What do they call non-Jews? "Goys" (or "Goyim") and "shiksas". These "no touch" religions, in their homelands, do enforce the religion on the people.

So, it IS "racist", and it is NOT "different". Look at the case that BirdStrike posted in his link; that has been getting news because nurses sued their hospital for acquiescing to a patient's family's wishes - no non-white nurses for the neonate. There would be NO DIFFERENCE if a nurse sued their hospital for acquiescing to a patient's wishes for a different doctor expressly because of the doctor's gender. In fact, combine EMTALA (see everyone, regardless of ability to pay) and the first amendment to the US Constitution (relevant part) "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" - what is the intersection? If the patient rejects the doctor because of the doctor's gender, due to patient's religious belief, then the law is satisfied.

Where I work, single covered, there are no female doctors, and there is one female PA that works not more than 5 shifts a month at our place. I don't even know where there is another female doc or midlevel in the ED within - literally - 50 miles of my workplace. I challenged anyone to name 5 female doctors (of any specialty) in our hospital - easily came up with 3, then one more - then stalled. There are 3 FM or IM female docs in the general area, so that is 7 - out of more than 100.

If a woman comes to the ED and wants a female doctor only, and has a life threatening condition, well, I am not going to assault her and treat her if she doesn't want me because I am a guy. If that leads to her death, am I wrong? And, if it is not an imminent life-threatening issue, does it belong in the ED, or can it wait for this person's preferred provider?


No idea how you can write this ^ and then badmouth me for calling out the nonsensicalness of religion. Seems to me that we agree that this "Female docs only; I'm (insert 'special' qualifier here)" thing is absurd. Now, apply that saaame concept to other situations/arenas.

Last time I'm posting on this'n. I gotta go to work.

Meh, maybe I can get dragged back into the fray. Keeps it lively.
 
No idea how you can write this ^ and then badmouth me for calling out the nonsensicalness of religion. Seems to me that we agree that this "Female docs only; I'm (insert 'special' qualifier here)" thing is absurd. Now, apply that saaame concept to other situations/arenas.

Last time I'm posting on this'n. I gotta go to work.

Meh, maybe I can get dragged back into the fray. Keeps it lively.

No idea? There is no disconnect. I do not disclaim that much of religion is nonsensical - if you get that I am pro-religion from what I write, then you are reading MUCH into it, and that is on you. My beliefs are my own - I do NOT push them on anyone. Likewise, I do not jump all over other people, or flip (as you do) at any opportunity to do so.

"Badmouthing" you would be saying you were dumb or ill-informed or wrong, or an idiot (but that would get me another warning, and, VERY likely, from a mod from another forum - not one of ours - because the SDN Puritans can't stand it when someone, somewhere might be saying something naughty - although the :bullcrap: and :wtf: smilies are alive and kicking - hypocrisy, anyone?). What I am saying is that you have made this point - MANY times - not been debated, and you don't have to jump in every single time to reiterate - again - your point.
 
Yeah, its a good point. A real good one. Has a lot to do with a lot of the issues that we wrestle with in our world. Let me have my point.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGK8IC-bGnU[/YOUTUBE]

Remember some other old, dead guy's quote ? : "Never let your religious sensitivities get in the way of your real-world sensibilities."

No idea who said that, but its good.
 
Last edited:
It would simply be impossible in my ER. We have 29 physicians, only 2 of which are female. You want a female doctor? Great, you can wait two days for one to come on shift, or you can go to another hospital.

Even if a female doctor is working, I think it's inappropriate for a patient to ask. I wouldn't go to their country and demand a non-muslim doctor, or make any other ridiculous culturally-inappropriate request. They decided to move here, so they need to adapt at least enough to meet the social norms of public places like hospitals.

I agree with the above. Requesting a specific gender is no different than refusing a black doctor, a gay doctor, or an old (or young) one. We don't do it in this country, we don't tolerate it, and THEY need to adapt. Melting pot remember?
 
It would simply be impossible in my ER. We have 29 physicians, only 2 of which are female. You want a female doctor? Great, you can wait two days for one to come on shift, or you can go to another hospital.

Even if a female doctor is working, I think it's inappropriate for a patient to ask. I wouldn't go to their country and demand a non-muslim doctor, or make any other ridiculous culturally-inappropriate request. They decided to move here, so they need to adapt at least enough to meet the social norms of public places like hospitals.

I agree with the above. Requesting a specific gender is no different than refusing a black doctor, a gay doctor, or an old (or young) one. We don't do it in this country, we don't tolerate it, and THEY need to adapt. Melting pot remember?


Vive le France. 👍
 
If a male patient demands a female doctor, due to emotional, spiritual or "personal" reasons, is as much importance placed on that request, as when a female requests a female?

If not, why not?
 
I hear ya.

I got stopped on the way to Trauma bay by a family member demanding I get a cup of water. This is while they're yelling for the doc in the trauma bay. I say that I'm not the waiter and that someone will be by to help.

Later, the ED director has the nerve to discuss this patient complaint.

All I could think was "Really...?"

It's not what you did, it's how you did it. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal if you actually did have a waiter...

Whose job description actually includes "get drinks for patients?" As near as I can tell, only the volunteer's and possibly the chaplain's, and that covers about 6 hours a week. Customer service is about saying no with a smile, not saying yes when it's not appropriate. I sometimes think all docs and nurses should have to work a customer service job (for tips) at some point prior to working in a hospital. It's amazing what you can learn.

Instead of "I'm not a waiter" why not "Either your nurse or myself will be with you just as soon as we get this guy's heart beating again or as soon as we get this bleeding stopped."

My take on the "I want a female doc thing" is if we're currently double coverage and my partner is female, I trade them this one for the next patient (and the patient requesting accommodation has to wait a little longer than they otherwise would.) If we're single coverage, I tell the patient it's me or nothing. That's a reasonable level of accommodation to me. Getting a PA or med student or nurse to do it, especially one working another unit.....not appropriate in my opinion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not what you did, it's how you did it. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal if you actually did have a waiter...

Whose job description actually includes "get drinks for patients?" As near as I can tell, only the volunteer's and possibly the chaplain's, and that covers about 6 hours a week. Customer service is about saying no with a smile, not saying yes when it's not appropriate. I sometimes think all docs and nurses should have to work a customer service job (for tips) at some point prior to working in a hospital. It's amazing what you can learn.

Instead of "I'm not a waiter" why not "Either your nurse or myself will be with you just as soon as we get this guy's heart beating again or as soon as we get this bleeding stopped."

My take on the "I want a female doc thing" is if we're currently double coverage and my partner is female, I trade them this one for the next patient (and the patient requesting accommodation has to wait a little longer than they otherwise would.) If we're single coverage, I tell the patient it's me or nothing. That's a reasonable level of accommodation to me. Getting a PA or med student or nurse to do it, especially one working another unit.....not appropriate in my opinion.


"Sure, sir. It would be my pleasure. Would you like a cup of water and some saltine crackers? 🙂"
 
Last edited:
I am going to address several points here. First, your condescending tone smacks greatly of the Pacific Northwest - Seattle or Portland, maybe? Or perhaps Dallas or Austin? I, personally, find, even the most mildly, offensive the statements of "If you can't see the difference I can't help you" and "Sorry if you find the info and different point of view offensive" Those are quite demeaning. The first, because you imply an intellectual deficit. The second is insulting because you combine "information" (facts) and "offense" (emotion) - that is akin to "I feel sorry for you (or "I find you pitiable") because you now know the world is round, and not flat".

That said, the substance of your posts make you sound like a fundamentalist apologist - had you not described yourself as white and denied being Muslim, I would have guessed that you were Muslim, and, if not that, Jewish, and, if not that, extremely liberal (and not in the Democrat/Republican sense).]


I'm not Muslim, not Jewish, have never ascribed to any religon or tried to make sense of religion, and I live solidly in the Midwest. So none of that is where my perspective comes from.

I travel internationally on a regular basis, and have interacted with cultures that have fundamentally different beliefs from my own. I have learned to tolerate the differences and make accomodations, just as I have been tolerated and accomodated abroad more often than not.

My posts were intended to provide information and my perspective, not to insult or call anyone names. Unlike yours, Apollyon..."condescending," "demeaning" and an "fundamental apologist" all in one post. A veritable flurry of criticism.

ActiveMD's strategy is exactly what I would advocate. If you work in a single coverage ED there is no issue, either you are a female doctor (thus your patient gets the female doctor they are requesting because you are the only one there anyway) or a male doctor (there is no other option so your patient decides if they want to be seen by you, that choice is theirs to make). An ED is a place for emergencies, for sick people, but there's no reason you have to make it any more uncomfortable for a patient than it already must be.
 
. . . First, your condescending tone smacks greatly of the Pacific Northwest - Seattle or Portland, maybe?

Au contraire. I am deeply offended. In the Pacific Northwest we use an entirely different condescending tone. No commonalities between these condescending tones at all.
 
A normal person who wrecks his motorcycle and breaks his leg shouldn't want to go back to the ER.

Normal people who have MIs, don't wish to return for repeat business.

Normal people who are brought to the ER in a semi-conscious state delirious with meningitis do not wish to return for nostalgia.

Normal people who come to the ED after a family member has had cardiac arrest do not want to come back to the ED with frequent flyer miles and a coupon code.

Normal people who slip and fall on payment and split their face open don't want to come back to the ED to see your smiling face again, despite your invisalign smile.

These are the people EDs were put on planet Earth for. The ER should be a place no one ever wants to go back to (not because they are treated rudely) but because of what landed them there. Yet, we've flipped the entire purpose on its head and re-designed the whole process to cater to repeat visits from those who need the ED the least, modeled on customer service concepts designed for Disney and grown men in over-sized animal costumes.

Hmmmm.....


"Strange days indeed, most peculiar mama." - Nobody Told Me, John Lennon.
 
A normal person who wrecks his motorcycle and breaks his leg shouldn't want to go back to the ER.

Normal people who have MIs, don't wish to return for repeat business.

Normal people who are brought to the ER in a semi-conscious state delirious with meningitis do not wish to return for nostalgia.

Normal people who come to the ED after a family member has had cardiac arrest do not want to come back to the ED with frequent flyer miles and a coupon code.

Normal people who slip and fall on payment and split their face open don't want to come back to the ED to see your smiling face again, despite your invisalign smile.

These are the people EDs were put on planet Earth for. The ER should be a place no one ever wants to go back to (not because they are treated rudely) but because of what landed them there. Yet, we've flipped the entire purpose on its head and re-designed the whole process to cater to repeat visits from those who need the ED the least, modeled on customer service concepts designed for Disney and grown men in over-sized animal costumes.

Hmmmm.....


"Strange days indeed, most peculiar mama." - Nobody Told Me, John Lennon.

Well said
 
Yet, we've flipped the entire purpose on its head and re-designed the whole process to cater to repeat visits from those who need the ED the least, modeled on customer service concepts designed for Disney and grown men in over-sized animal costumes.

Hmmmm.....


"Strange days indeed, most peculiar mama." - Nobody Told Me, John Lennon.

Hell, our patients are lucky if they get an actual exam room. They can wait for hours in the waiting room, even when they are sicker than snot. Yes, you have to be either really sick, or really twisted, to want to come to our ED. You can tell who's really sick, as far as the twisted ones...well, I'm paid pretty well for what I do. I'm just gonna be nice and take care of them (sans Disney characters--we don't have those either)
 
I'm just gonna be nice and take care of them (sans Disney characters--we don't have those either)

Clearly your admin is behind the curve on this one. Perhaps an opportunity for a new admin post? ED-Disney-Character Operations Chief? :naughty:

Pathway to 9-5 job in admin?
 
Last edited:
Clearly your admin is behind the curve on this one. Perhaps an opportunity for a new admin post? ED-Disney-Character Operations Chief? :naughty:

Pathway to 9-5 job in admin?

I don't they necessarily have to be Disney characters, but there are some ED characters that are as recognizable. I'm making up names on the spot, so feel free to plug in your own:

Tracy the Triage Nurse - this nurse loves people and does not mind repeating herself over and over about trying to get you back as fast as possible. She is in no way bitter that she is stuck being coughed on by your snotty spawn and dealing with grown people whining all day. Especially when all of her peers of similar experience have moved into admin or are in school to be NPs.

Tim the Tech - will happily get you a warm blanket or ask the doc if you're allowed to have water. Tim can start an IV on a stone but will still express sympathy when you tell him your veins roll. The slight tremor in his hand is only due to having downed 5 cans of Monster today because he worked a 24hr at the fire station right before his shift. His continued cheerfulness in the face of his protracted custody and alimony battles with a psychotic ex is nothing short of heroic.

Hannah the RT - dispensor of nebs and obtainer of ABGs extraordinaire. Is happy to hook you up to 2L NC with your room air sat of 100% because it makes you feel better. Is available at the drop of a hat for setting up BiPap and assisting with intubations, except when taking her smoke break.

Nancy the Newbie - fresh faced and fresh out of school, this chipper RN puts a smile on even the most cantankerous gomer. This youngster is always respectful and eager to please. She'd be your favorite nurse if only she could start IVs reliably or recognize when a patient was starting to crash.
 
Love the archetypes.

Add Christie the clerk - happy to order a bed for you or request outside medical records, if she hears you beneath her iphone earbuds, or when she's done online shopping. Ready to page a consultant, as soon as she's updated her facebook status, or in between managing her social life.



I don't they necessarily have to be Disney characters, but there are some ED characters that are as recognizable. I'm making up names on the spot, so feel free to plug in your own:

Tracy the Triage Nurse - this nurse loves people and does not mind repeating herself over and over about trying to get you back as fast as possible. She is in no way bitter that she is stuck being coughed on by your snotty spawn and dealing with grown people whining all day. Especially when all of her peers of similar experience have moved into admin or are in school to be NPs.

Tim the Tech - will happily get you a warm blanket or ask the doc if you're allowed to have water. Tim can start an IV on a stone but will still express sympathy when you tell him your veins roll. The slight tremor in his hand is only due to having downed 5 cans of Monster today because he worked a 24hr at the fire station right before his shift. His continued cheerfulness in the face of his protracted custody and alimony battles with a psychotic ex is nothing short of heroic.

Hannah the RT - dispensor of nebs and obtainer of ABGs extraordinaire. Is happy to hook you up to 2L NC with your room air sat of 100% because it makes you feel better. Is available at the drop of a hat for setting up BiPap and assisting with intubations, except when taking her smoke break.

Nancy the Newbie - fresh faced and fresh out of school, this chipper RN puts a smile on even the most cantankerous gomer. This youngster is always respectful and eager to please. She'd be your favorite nurse if only she could start IVs reliably or recognize when a patient was starting to crash.
 
Last edited:
Love the archetypes.

Add Christie the clerk - happily order a bed for you or request outside medical records, if she hears you beneath her iphone earbuds, or when she's done online shopping. Ready to page a consultant, as soon as she's updated her facebook status, or in between managing her social life.

Sam the Studious Nurse - bright, eager to learn, evidence-based. So thirsty for knowledge that she'll frequently have a textbook open at her workspace. Will be happy to give your patient their meds as soon as you help her with her organic chem homework. Sam unfortunately will leave for a DNP school before attaining any clinical competence.

Freddy the Floor Nurse - can recognize a coding patient with reasonable accuracy. Understands his role in initiating the in-hospital chain of survival. He would be your most valuable resource when responding to floor codes except that he knows nothing about the patient despite being their primary nurse. He, sadly, is unable to relate relevant comorbidities or the reason patient was hospitalized. He forms part of the protective shell of nurses designed to hinder your ability to get to the patient's bedside or even lay eyes on the patient. Whatever else can be said, no one can dispute that Freddy is very... present.

Dan the Divorced MD - Has been in the game forever and can diagnose most patients accurately from the doorway. Despite this diagnostic acumen, he works everyone up to the hilt because he got sued once 10 years ago. He was a caring man, but years of working 20+ shifts a month due to financial pressures from child support and alimony payments combined with the spending habits of his current trophy wife have taken their toll. Dan will occasionally moonlight in rural areas for combat pay, but thrives in a good payor mix environment where his "scan everyone then admit" approach is a financial boon to the hospital.
 
Last edited:
Dan the Divorced MD - Has been in the game forever and can diagnose most patients accurately from the doorway. Despite this diagnostic acumen, he works everyone up to the hilt because he got sued once 10 years ago. He was a caring man, but years of working 20+ shifts a month due to financial pressures from child support and alimony payments combined with the spending habits of his current trophy wife have taken their toll. Dan will occasionally moonlight in rural areas for combat pay, but thrives in a good payor mix environment where his "scan everyone then admit" approach is a financial boon to the hospital.

We've obviously worked together somewhere.