Hey everyone!! Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jiten

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student with a BS in Pharmacy. I am finishing my MS in chemistry from Univ. of california at Irvine. I took the august MCAT and scored poorly....6 on VR, 11 on PS and 10 on BS and a Q on writing. I have very good undergraduate GPA...i stood 2nd in all four years of my Pharmacy of a class of 60 students. NOw i am wondering if I should apply or not?? Any suggestions?? I have collected the schools that accept the international students..these are:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Duke University School of Medicine
Emory Medical schoool
Harvard Medical School
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
New York Medical College
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Albany Medical College
Stony Brook University - School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Loma Linda
University of Southern Calif.
Univ. of connecticut
Howard University
Medical College of Georgia
Tulane Medical school
Tufts
Mount Sinai school of medicine
Creigton Medical school
Chicago Medical School (Finch)
Morehouse Medical school

These seem to be very good and competitive schools...Does anyone have any suggestions?? DO I have any chances or should I forget and not think about it...I have good volunteering and extracurricular activities and hopefully by the end of the year I will have a publication.
Please help me decide. I thank u all for your time...

Regards,
Jiten

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome! :) I would say go for it. (Admittedly, I have no knowledge of international students' special admissions considerations.) Apply to all those schools, however, to make your odds as high as possible. It would have been better to have your files complete before the scores came out -- you are late, and that will work against you. Could you wait and apply next cycle? That would improve your odds considerably.

My application is all ready to be submitted....everything is just a click away...

Members don't see this ad :)
just so you don't have false hope - its extremely difficult for internationals to secure spots in us schools unless you are a permanent resident though they may technically allow it. a rediculously tiny percentage do. its going to be a struggle - and being an international is going to make it harder. just something to think about before you send off 800 bucks. goodluck nevertheless!

-jot

I still wanna give it a try..are there any schools among the one i have listed that may accept the student with similar MCAT scores..or they all expect the scores to be at least 30?

Most of the schools you list seem possible with those stats (assuming the rest of your application -- LOR's, essays, EC's, clincial exposure, research, and interviewing ability -- is very strong), with the exceptions of Harvard, Duke, Emory, and Dartmouth. There are some schools on your list I'm not too familiar with. You should check the MSAR, their websites or USNews and World Report rankings for average scores of admitted students. You could also call the schools' admssions offices, and ask how many international students they've admitted in the past few years and what their policies/requirements are. I recall that international students sometimes have to have their tuition money available upfront. I also suggest you do a search on SDN for the word "international" (make sure to limit it to the pre-allopathic forum) for the past year or so, to see what other information from other SDNers comes up. Good luck!! :)

Originally posted by Jiten
I still wanna give it a try..are there any schools among the one i have listed that may accept the student with similar MCAT scores..or they all expect the scores to be at least 30?

Harvard, Duke, Cornell, and Baylor (just at a spot check) might be difficult with a 27, especially if you're int'l...

here is what i am thinking...

Chicago Med School ( Average MCAT: 28)
Howard Medical ( Avg MCAT: 24)
Univ. of Connecticut (Avg MCAT: 30)
Loma Linda (Avg MCAT: 27)
USC (Avg MCAT: 30)
BU (AVG MCAT: 29)
NY MED (AVG MCAT:30)
SUNY SYracuse (AVG MCAT: 28)
Tufts (AVG MCAT: 29)
Morehouse Medical (should be low..I dont have the numbers)

What do u guys think?? Thanks again!!
Jiten

I wouldn't go just on MCAT averages. I would definitely call the schools and find out their policies. I also think it's not enough schools. I applied to 23 schools. Many people apply to 15+ and some to 25+. Why have you left off Albany, Jefferson, Tulane, Mt. Sinai (just to name a few). If it's as hard for an international student as people are claimiing, then you should be trying to maximize your odds.