Hey Everyone..I really need some advice=/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XxChrisXx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,my name is Christopher .Recently,I switched my major from engineering and I am considering going to school for Dentistry.I am 24 years old and I feel that it is very late to start this path.:(Also,I have three W's on my transcript back in my sophmore year when I was going to Queensborough community college but I received A- in both general chemistry and math courses.Do you think it is too late to pursue this career?Do you think I have a chance to get into a dental school if i finish up their requirements?Do you think that I should take chemistry courses again at a 4 year college?Also,if i major in spanish at a 4 year,do you think that is not a wise decision?

Please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

Also,I'm thinking about taking General biology at a community college.Do you think this is not a wise decision?

Sorry for all the questions.I do not know who to talk to about this.=/

well first off its honestly never to late to begin your career in this field...u have to be one hundred percent committed..make sure u finish all ur prereqs and kill the DATs and u will be fine...its goin to take a lot of wrk..but if ur willing to put in the time, u can do it...i was once an engineer major too, but i never took any classes before i switched to the sciences..if ya need any help with anythin just send me a msg..gluck

Members don't see this ad :)
You should try to take the science courses from the school that you are going to graduate from. It looks kind of suspicious if you are taking all the science courses at a community college. And, no, its not too late. Don't worry about the Ws, just make the best grades possible in your science pre-reqs (looks like you are already off to a good start). Also, spanish major is fine, but you may want to look into a biology minor because you are gonna be taking a lot of science classes and it looks good if you have upper level science too.

I am 29 and am going for it! I was a dental assistant (still am RDA just not practicing - only volunteer) for some time before I was finally able to get back to school to do my undergrad. I don't think a couple of W's keeps you from entering dental school.
I wouldn't re-take the chem, you will have chem 2 and organic 1 & 2 to prove yourself at the 4 year school. Probably the less school hopping the better, but who am I to talk. I am the queen of transferring..... At my 5th school!!! (Moved around a bit when I was right out of high school) You will be fine! ;)

Don't re-take if you don't have to. Why risk a lower grade?

Focus on experience. Everyone I know who is now a practicing Dentist has told me the same story:

GPA: 3.(something impressive, like 8)
DAT: 20 or 21...some even 23!!!

...wait listed or not accepted.

On contacting the Adcom it was experience that made the difference.

One woman I know even got in simply because she went through a Dental Assisting program. That plus the above (something like the above) grades/DAT did it for her.

She didn't even work as an Assistant. :D

Volunteer. Take time to observe at different practices. Observe sub-specialties and be able to talk to the interviewers about them.

Ask questions. Find out about the front office. See if you can sit down and play around with Dentrix for a few minutes.

Anything.

It's pretty much 50% grades/DAT and 50% experience/dedication.