Hey guys, I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagle Scout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two options and I'm not sure which way to go. I need P.E. to graduate but micro is a prerequisite for all the schools i want to apply to. I'm takin 18 hours the next two semesters so there's no way I can take both.

Option 1:
- take microbiology instead of P.E.
- hopefully get accepted to pharmacy school and enter fall 2012
- don't graduate undergraduate
- risk no acceptance to pharmacy and having undergrad for 2 more years

Option 2:
- take P.E. instead of microbiology
- take micro at a community college summer 2012
- graduate with a bachelor's in nuclear medicine technology spring 2013
- couldn't enter pharm school until fall 2013

Stats if this would help
- cumulative GPA: 3.625
- science GPA: 3.75
- over 350 hours of hospital volunteer
- Eagle Scout
- taking PCAT in January 2012 so I would have a semester of organic
- registered pharmacy tech

Any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

You forgot Option C:

- Take P.E. to get your diploma
- If you are accepted to pharmacy school for fall 2012, take microbiology over the summer.

Best of both worlds...

You forgot Option C:

- Take P.E. to get your diploma
- If you are accepted to pharmacy school for fall 2012, take microbiology over the summer.

Best of both worlds...

Agreed with Option C. You just need to complete your pre-reqs by the start of school, not by the acceptance date. Microbiology should be easily fulfilled at any community collage. If you can find a seat NOW this summer, even better.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Most pharm schools, or at least the ones I'm applying to, require pre-reqs to be completed the spring before matriculation though

If you're not accumulating insane debt, I'd get the degree. You've come this far, you should have that degree conferred upon you. A whole list of "What If?" questions can pop up, the paramount of all being: What if you wash out of pharmacy school, or just plum hate it? Or never get in? It'll be nearly impossible for you to get back into that university to complete the degree. I believe it behooves you to push your pharmacy school back 1 year and complete the degree.

Your GPA is strong, and backed up with a good PCAT score you'll very likely get interviews everywhere you apply and into at least a few of those. But I just can't get over you having spent years attempting the degree (and doing it well) but not getting anything to show for your efforts.

If you're not accumulating insane debt, I'd get the degree. You've come this far, you should have that degree conferred upon you. A whole list of "What If?" questions can pop up, the paramount of all being: What if you wash out of pharmacy school, or just plum hate it? Or never get in? It'll be nearly impossible for you to get back into that university to complete the degree. I believe it behooves you to push your pharmacy school back 1 year and complete the degree.

Your GPA is strong, and backed up with a good PCAT score you'll very likely get interviews everywhere you apply and into at least a few of those. But I just can't get over you having spent years attempting the degree (and doing it well) but not getting anything to show for your efforts.
I have to agree with this. I would take PE, finish the degree then take micro and apply for pharmacy school. Worse comes to worst and you don't get in, what are you planning to do? Go back to finish the degree? Easier said than done IMO.

But I just can't get over you having spent years attempting the degree (and doing it well) but not getting anything to show for your efforts.

I've only gone for one year lol, but I get your point. thanks

I've only gone for one year lol, but I get your point. thanks

Dude, you made it sound like you were a senior this fall, not a sophomore.

In addition to trustworthy, loyal, helpful, and all the other things covered in the Boy Scout Law, you should work on becoming "unambiguous".

Oh..sorry

The way my major works is that I take two years at my university then transfer to a hospital starting that June and finish the next June. I've already taken one year at my university. I'll be starting my second year at my university this fall. I need to take P.E. to graduate, but I need to take micro to get into pharmacy school and I can't take both. If I take micro instead of P.E., then I could apply to pharmacy schools this year. If I didn't get in, I'd be stuck going to my university for a third year, and then transferring to a hospital.

Last edited:
Oh..sorry

The way my major works is that I take two years at my university then transfer to a hospital starting that June and finish the next June. I've already taken one year at my university. I'll be starting my second year at my university this fall. I need to take P.E. to graduate, but I need to take micro to get into pharmacy school and I can't take both. If I take micro instead of P.E., then I could apply to pharmacy schools this year. If I didn't get in, I'd be stuck going to my university for a third year, and then transferring to a hospital.

Is there another option as well? How about a pharmacy school that will allow you to have the SUMMER prior to matriculation to finish your coursework? Then you can take P.E. this term (and keep on your path) and if you DON'T get into pharmacy school, then you can keep going like nothing ever happened besides being less some $ for PharmCAS/transcripts. If you ARE accepted, you can take Micro the summer before you matriculate and voila, problem solved.

It definitely sounded like you had way more time invested than 1 year. However, I can see the difficulty you're having being faced with the possibility of extending your UG another year because you didn't take P.E.

Your grades and EC are both stellar. If you apply very broadly (include some non-PCAT schools if you can) I can't see you having an issue gaining acceptance somewhere.

How many credits of PE do you need? It seems most classes are just 1-2 credits, and don't consist of much outside work. Are you sure you couldn't squeeze it in, even with 18 credits?

For the user wondering what PE is (I'm totally baffled how anybody in the States doesn't know...), it's physical education.

Yea it's Physical Education. At UCA it's three hours, one is actual activity and two are health.

It sounded like I was a senior because I only have one year left to take classes unless I go for a third year at UCA (which I'm trying to avoid). Once I transfer to the hospital, I give up my scholarship to UCA. That program starts in June and ends in June the next year. All of the summer micro classes I know of are June to August..

Yea it's Physical Education. At UCA it's three hours, one is actual activity and two are health.

It sounded like I was a senior because I only have one year left to take classes unless I go for a third year at UCA (which I'm trying to avoid). Once I transfer to the hospital, I give up my scholarship to UCA. That program starts in June and ends in June the next year. All of the summer micro classes I know of are June to August..

I see, so even going to a school that'll let you finish them in summer won't help, because you'd need to not do the hospital site portion.

Well, it's a tough spot. I've learned in my life that any time I tried to rush something / take the faster route of two or three options, the outcome was undesirable. I'd say go slow and steady, finish your hospital site thing, get your degree and apply next year (for 2013 matric). You "lose" a year, but it's the safest bet. Starting in '13 won't kill you. I will be over 30 when I graduate and there are many 30-40 yearolds in my class, on this site, and going through the process just the same. A folly of youth is to try to have everything done in perfect order in perfect time perfectly. Sometimes, the best lesson is to learn that things can't always be forced into that pattern.