Hey guys, I seriously need Studying tips (really for BIO)

Started by Karank
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Karank

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the DAT recently and didn't do as well as I wanted. I'm definitely not a good test taker when it comes to these standardized type tests. The timing gets to me and sometimes the questions. I see people on here with breakdowns, amazing breakdowns and I do use their tips ALOT but I just can't seem to get over this hump of getting a really good score. Well, I'm at it again, exam is in 2 months, I will of course cover everything again, practice practice practice. My best resource (for the sciences) honestly from the last time I took the exam was DAT Bootcamp, especially that of Gen. Chem. Organic, I've always liked, so no problems there.

-BIO and READING for me absolutely stink. I literary did 10 Bio QVault, 5 Bio Bootcamps, DAT Destroyer (Bio), read Cliffs, etc and still got a dang 16 on BIO. Honestly, its the wording and the way bio questions are asked. I'm just not good at it, but I HAVE to fix this problem. Any tips guys??? on how to improve my bio score??

And for RC, last time I panicked (Woop de doo, 16 for this section too). But I'm fixing my problem for reading by reading TIME articles, Scientific American, etc. Just read everyday and I'm also going to go for Bootcamps RC, haven't purchased that yet.
 
honestly, for me it was getting as much exposure to bio questions as possible. If I don't know something, try to make a flashcard out of it. I understand about the wording issue because English is not my first language and I miss many questions on practice tests for bio because I don't really know what the question is asking sometimes. It happens. Just have to have as much exposure as possible. You can do it
 
I literary did 10 Bio QVault, 5 Bio Bootcamps, DAT Destroyer (Bio), read Cliffs, etc and still got a dang 16 on BIO. Honestly, its the wording and the way bio questions are asked.

I honestly think that there is more to it than the wording. If you covered all those materials, you should be doing pretty well. I think that the reason may be that you have not really studied them. In other words, you don't retain all the info that is in all of those study materials! Did you just skim them, or not really given enough time to learn the materials? I mean, knowing Cliffs back and forth and all its vocab should be enough to get you above a 20. Use flashcards to make sure you know your words! It's barely enough to just be familiar with them. You gotta be able to regurgitate info, if you want to score well.