Hey guys, im new, have an important Q

Started by Stevano23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Stevano23

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, let me introduce myself, my name is Steven. I'm 19 years old, sophomore in a community college down here in Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley. My Q is, and Im sorry if this may be annoying because I bet this Q has been asked a million times. Well you see I only have one more year to finish up my ropes in the community college before I head to UTPA for my major. My big question is, well, what is the best choice to major in when getting into a PT school. the school Im going to try and get into is one in San Antonio, TX. I got their pre-requis already. When I spoke to an advisor they told me either major in bio or Kinesiology. My best bet would definently go for Kinesio. I mean because the whole craft and profession about being a PT is fitness, work that requires movements of the body. Im pretty sure it would be a whole lot easier then going for one in bio. But the way I see it is, bio is more for people trying to get into medical schools, doctors in medicine, pharmacist. A PT and bio, in my point of view really dont cross sections. What do you all think, please im open to anybody & everybodies opinion.
 
Just major in anything you want. Of course a degree in athletic training, excercise physiology, or kinesiology would lay a good foundation for you, but once you're out in the field, you may have wished you had learned about a different subject when you had the chance. I majored in sociology, and many of my classmates majored in other areas like psychology, biology, whatever. Every PT program will train you to be an entry-level therapist, and while it seems that certain majors have an advantage in school initially, the playing field levels out quickly. IMO, just find something that interests u, keep a good gpa, make sure you complete the prereqs, and have fun. You may even want to major in something that is very marketable as soon as you graduate and not want to pursue an advanced degree right away. Good luck.
 
Hey Steven,
I'm 19 also and currently going to UTPA. What school in San Antonio were you thinking of applying to? I'm thinking of applying in September to UTHSCSA in San Antonio because they do not require a bachelor's degree to apply.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, thats the school I will try to get into. Hey read your messages. I sent you some info so we can talk more about this , I need all the info I can have.
 
What if the bottom drops out? What if we go universal healthcare for all and the reimbursement rate plummets?

Hasn't it been mentioned before that programs look at the pre-req's and not much more?

Major in anything that could resonably be called a backup.
The more feathers in your hat the better.
 
Going universal is inevitible and while I'm not yet practicing I know this is not gonna be a good thing for reimbursments rates, which are already falling.. Maybe under a universal system PTs of all types and in all settings will share more comraderie- I'm not sure how it works but PTs could form a union (I'll feel pretty dumb if they already have one) and then gradually demand the reimbursment our educations and specific skills demand.
 
As professionals, we are represented by the APTA, not a labor union. If you are not a member, I suggest becoming one if you do care about future of the profession!