Hey guys need a little help !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shadar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We were asked a question by our professor which is confusing to me and he told us to get back to him whenever we felt we understood the question and got the answer.

He basically asked us that there is product X which has 30mg of elemental zinc per serving. Or is it 30mg of zinc gluconate and not really labeled right calling it 200% DV since it's only 5mg of zinc?

If so, why does product X has such a high amount of zinc per serving? Add up multiple servings per day, a multi, and ZMA type of supplements to a tune of in excess of 100-150 mg/d without a directive to limit zinc intake for those who don't know better and there is a potential issue that it creates with copper status which is well established. There is no copper in sight in the product. But there are other divalent cations in there like Ca2+, there can be antagonism and zinc absorption reduction which is another matter.

Would this combo be negative ?; because in essence reduced superoxide dismuatase which can in turn increase membrane lipid peroxidation and decrease RBC survival time among other things, reduced cytochrome c and serum ceruloplasmin which also affect iron transport and use, reduced HDL, reduced mononuclear and polymorphonuclear white blood cells and platelets, etc... i.e. not exactly healthy.

Help me out here folks ! and also are there any other Pharmacy websites which are for discussions for topics of relevance ?

Members don't see this ad.

Got your PM, maybe I can help.

He basically asked us that there is product X which has 30mg of elemental zinc per serving. Or is it 30mg of zinc gluconate and not really labeled right calling it 200% DV since it's only 5mg of zinc?

Generally, zinc is labeled with the total amount and elemental zinc provided per dose. At our hospital, we carry zinc sulfate 220mg, which provides 50mg of elemental zinc. A label stating 30mg of elemental zinc at 200% DV would not be mislabeled.

If so, why does product X has such a high amount of zinc per serving? Add up multiple servings per day, a multi, and ZMA type of supplements to a tune of in excess of 100-150 mg/d without a directive to limit zinc intake for those who don't know better and there is a potential issue that it creates with copper status which is well established. There is no copper in sight in the product. But there are other divalent cations in there like Ca2+, there can be antagonism and zinc absorption reduction which is another matter.

Would this combo be negative ?; because in essence reduced superoxide dismuatase which can in turn increase membrane lipid peroxidation and decrease RBC survival time among other things, reduced cytochrome c and serum ceruloplasmin which also affect iron transport and use, reduced HDL, reduced mononuclear and polymorphonuclear white blood cells and platelets, etc... i.e. not exactly healthy.

It is a problem, I never recommend over 40mg/day for any length of time over 6 weeks. That seems to be where you run into problems. Zinc toxicity isn't something you hear much about, but it does happen. We had a case when I worked at poison control back home.