hey guys need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosomali

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i graduated from undergrad..total cummalative gpa is 3.0

1st yr 1.3
2nd yr 2.5
3rd yr 3.5
4th yr 3.2
5th yr 3.3
6th yr 3.7 (retook all first yr courses)

i upgraded and took the following courses in my 6th yr

upgraded
bio 1: C to A
chem 1: D to A
chem 2: D- to A-
chem lab: D to A-

took the following courses as well
orgo 1: A
orgo 2: B
orgo lab: A-
physics 1: A
physics 2: B-

I also wrote the mcat this past July recently got my mark..scored a 28q (10bs, 8v 10ps)

Thinking of submitting my application now..i know im late, but i wanted to make sure i didn't totally bomb the mcat before applying. Because i'm late will certainly hurt my chances. My extra curriculars are good hundreds of hrs of shadowing, overseas experience in 3rd world hospital, started my own charitable org, mentoring tutoring blah blah...

Now here are my options...
1) forgo applying this yr, retake the mcat and score over 30 hopefully by january. And apply for 2011 the first day the cycle opens in June. 3.0 gpa + 30 maybe i have a chance?

2) apply for a ceritificate program like pcom's one year biomedical sciences for this august, and do that for the year while i still apply for june 2011?

3) go to the carib lol ross send me an acceptance..

4) apply anyways knowing im madd late...and apply again if i don't get in with the improved mcat

btw i don't care whether its DO or MD...i just wanna be a doc

thanks for the help guys

Members don't see this ad.

1st yr 1.3
2nd yr 2.5
3rd yr 3.5
4th yr 3.2
5th yr 3.3

upgraded

I also wrote the mcat this past July recently got my mark..scored a 28q (10bs, 8v 10ps)

Thinking of submitting my application now..i know im late, but i wanted to make sure i didn't totally bomb the mcat before applying. Because i'm late will certainly hurt my chances. My extra curriculars are good hundreds of hrs of shadowing, overseas experience in 3rd world hospital, started my own charitable org, mentoring tutoring blah blah...

1) forgo applying this yr, retake the mcat and score over 30 hopefully by january. And apply for 2011 the first day the cycle opens in June. 3.0 gpa + 30 maybe i have a chance?

2) apply for a ceritificate program like pcom's one year biomedical sciences for this august, and do that for the year while i still apply for june 2011?

4) apply anyways knowing im madd late...and apply again if i don't get in with the improved mcat

thanks for the help guys

Waarya! Do you have American citizenship? Your profile says you live in Toronto?

Waarya! Do you have American citizenship? Your profile says you live in Toronto?

Yessir.. Tdot is where i reside but schools in Canada are damn near impossible to get into, thats why i'm looking into the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
getting in as an international student will be crazy tough even with stellar numbers. the # of seats going to internationals is very small..also, even when you get in, many schools will want to see the $$ for all 4 years upfront because it will be hard to get financial help here.

getting in as an international student will be crazy tough even with stellar numbers. the # of seats going to internationals is very small..also, even when you get in, many schools will want to see the $$ for all 4 years upfront because it will be hard to get financial help here.

he's right. Being an international student in the US is not an easy undertaking...any way you could get citizenship here? I know mad Somalis that live here that lived in Toronto and in the US, I dunno which citizenship they have but it seems they go back and forth pretty often.

iska waarama. i wonder it how turned out for you.

soo daawow

Last edited:
He's probably ok. There are lots of successful Somali doctors in Canada, so a medical education in Canada is a viable option as well...

many successful somali doctors... well, that is something i am completely unaware of then.

1st yr 1.3
2nd yr 2.5
3rd yr 3.5
4th yr 3.2
5th yr 3.3

upgraded

thanks for the help guys

Sosomali....late response but if you are still lurking around this website here are my two cents.

If you're a Canadian, your best bet is to stay in Canada because you have to be above the US pool to get into their schools.

That being said, your numbers are not competitive enough to get you in anywhere in Canada. The only way you can get in is by doing a second undergrad. Most schools will transfer one full year worth of credits and you will have to complete two more where you manage a 3.8 in EACH year. Your MCAT is sub par for Canada. You should be aiming for a balanced 33-R...however by the time you are ready to apply, you will probably need 35-R. After completing your first year you can apply to Western and after the second year you can apply to Western, Queens, and Dalhousie.

Your other option is to go to Caribbean but you may have a hard time getting a residency spot in Canada as they will treat you as a International Medical Graduate.

If you are considering the former option, transfer to a smaller university where profs are more personable and there aren't many pre-meds (hence getting A is manageable)

Blessed