Hey guys please respond to this, XF in a class!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdzain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post as a member of the forum, and i really need everyones help. I am a first semester jr in college and i am in pretty good academic standing. i have a 3.4 and in my first diagnostic mcat i got a 23. i know that i will improve my score alot over this upcoming winter break. my qeustion is that i am in jeopordy of getting an XF in my chem 2 lab. me and my partners worked together on a lab and i didnt cite soemthing. not only that but our format looks very similar. i know its an undegrad course, and i can get the X removed if i stay on probation for one year, and send a letter in to have it removed. my question is that i would be applying to medical schools in the summer upcoming, and with an XF on my transcript im pretty sure no school would accept me. the biggest thing is i started off freshman year with a 3.0 and last year i gota 3.8. my gpa was improving immensely. ive been doing so much my jr year with extra cirriculars and i got lazy on this one lab report, the last one of the semester. now is it possible to get into the carribeans with an XF or is it best that i wait the extra year and take a year off and then apply? i donno what i should do?

i am a double major so im doing finance and pre med, and i could take that extra year to get a second degree, but i donno. im also working as a scribe so i could do that as well. i really dont want to let down my parents and tell them of this XF but i dont know how else i would explain taking a year off even from the carribean. is it possible to get into a normal medical school with a F, because i would have it removed. i would retake the course and probably tell them i got an F for excessive abscences in the course.

please anyone help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys this is my first post as a member of the forum, and i really need everyones help. I am a first semester jr in college and i am in pretty good academic standing. i have a 3.4 and in my first diagnostic mcat i got a 23. i know that i will improve my score alot over this upcoming winter break. my qeustion is that i am in jeopordy of getting an XF in my chem 2 lab. me and my partners worked together on a lab and i didnt cite soemthing. not only that but our format looks very similar. i know its an undegrad course, and i can get the X removed if i stay on probation for one year, and send a letter in to have it removed. my question is that i would be applying to medical schools in the summer upcoming, and with an XF on my transcript im pretty sure no school would accept me. the biggest thing is i started off freshman year with a 3.0 and last year i gota 3.8. my gpa was improving immensely. ive been doing so much my jr year with extra cirriculars and i got lazy on this one lab report, the last one of the semester. now is it possible to get into the carribeans with an XF or is it best that i wait the extra year and take a year off and then apply? i donno what i should do?

i am a double major so im doing finance and pre med, and i could take that extra year to get a second degree, but i donno. im also working as a scribe so i could do that as well. i really dont want to let down my parents and tell them of this XF but i dont know how else i would explain taking a year off even from the carribean. is it possible to get into a normal medical school with a F, because i would have it removed. i would retake the course and probably tell them i got an F for excessive abscences in the course.

please anyone help!

Well, I'll do everything in my power not to get that F. Some times the teachers are understanding and nice to help a student out. Since, you are a good student overall, I think you might want to talk to your teacher, extra assignment+++, explain your situation the teacher might listen. But if you still ending up getting that F, you have to repeat the class and this time be sure to ace it.

Now as far as Caribbean is considered, yes for sure you will get in, but you definately have to repeat the orgo lab and try to ace it.

Hard work will never go to waste.

Peace.

do u think its still possible to get into a carribean school with an XF on my transcript but if i retakte it and get an A?

Members don't see this ad :)
do u think its still possible to get into a carribean school with an XF on my transcript but if i retakte it and get an A?
Nope its impossible.
And this is for gen chem lab 2?

hahaha.. this is the caribbean we are talking about. It may be a little more difficult now than it has been in the past, but one or two F's will not kill your chances as long as you retake and get a good grade.

I think some on here are just kidding.........the answer is YES of course.

get a 26 or better MCAT and with that GPA (Above 3.0) I see no reason one of the big will not accept you!!!!.

I agree with you on this one OldPro.

I think some on here are just kidding.........the answer is YES of course.
so hey guys last question. im gonn have to have a hearing next semester, u think i should just take the XF and repeat the class next semester and apply to the carribeans with an XF on my transcript. or should i goto the hearing try to fight it and if i lose id have to take gen chem 2 lab over the summer which would most likely delay and limit my chances of getting into AUC or SGU?

bascally what im asking is can i get in with an XF on my transcript if i explain myself? or should i just wait a year off? if i get the XF ill definitely retake it, so is it better now to just take the XF and take the class again next semester?

Retake it and apply with the failed class. It will not hurt you if you really well when you retake it.

so hey guys last question. im gonn have to have a hearing next semester, u think i should just take the XF and repeat the class next semester and apply to the carribeans with an XF on my transcript. or should i goto the hearing try to fight it and if i lose id have to take gen chem 2 lab over the summer which would most likely delay and limit my chances of getting into AUC or SGU?

bascally what im asking is can i get in with an XF on my transcript if i explain myself? or should i just wait a year off? if i get the XF ill definitely retake it, so is it better now to just take the XF and take the class again next semester?

so shud i retake it next semester or wait untill summer first session and send my application in before i finish taking the class and fight my XF?

Retake the course. If you're failing undergrad sciences courses, you'll fail in medical school basic science. If i were you, id remain conservative when it comes to academics. How did you have difficulty in Chem lab 2? Chem to me was very easy, o-chem was like a piece of cake. The only class that actually was a bizznitch was Molecular Bio. Don't even get me started on that, lol. Blah! The professor was anti-male, i swear! Anti-male!
hahaha

Good luck.

so shud i retake it next semester or wait untill summer first session and send my application in before i finish taking the class and fight my XF?

Retake it right away so it is fresh in your mind. Only fight the XF if you think that you can get it overturned. Otherwise, you will have wasted your time.

Like how are you failing Chem 2?? Thats supposed to be the cream pie...i mean..IMO :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think people might be confused. The XF means that you got caught cheating, right? Are you not going to be kicked out of school? In my eyes, that is a huge problem. No medical school would want somebody who got caught cheating. With this said, I am not really familiar with Caribbean schools. I would absolutely fight it!

I think people might be confused. The XF means that you got caught cheating, right? Are you not going to be kicked out of school? In my eyes, that is a huge problem. No medical school would want somebody who got caught cheating. With this said, I am not really familiar with Caribbean schools. I would absolutely fight it!

There is a difference between being punished for cheating and getting an F in a course for suspicion of breaking the honor code.

You have the report the former, but not necessarily the latter.

OK if this is for CHeating and you did not cheat then of course you need to fight it.

Cheating may keep you out of Medical school, it can be a death nail for any student.

There is a difference between being punished for cheating and getting an F in a course for suspicion of breaking the honor code.

You have the report the former, but not necessarily the latter.

But doesn't the "X" in "XF" imply that you were cheating? That is how my institution worked.

But doesn't the "X" in "XF" imply that you were cheating? That is how my institution worked.

Depends on each school's internal codes.

please anyone help!

I'm pretty sure he got in trouble for cheating. If you believe you a innocent you need to fight it.

if you believe you are innocent then fight it...medical school shouldnt dictate whether or not you leave it on ur transcript especially if you feel that you have been wrongly accused

as far as retaking the course even if the hearing goes in your favor i dont know what grade then might give you...an Incomplete, C, etc. so you probably should retake it anyway either way...but if its the same professor teaching it next semester you are better off waiting and taking it during the summer at another state school in your area as long as the credits are transferrable

If it is for cheating then they have to fight it, this can really be a problem, I'm not kidding. There are schools that will take them, Maybe the big 4 but probably will have to go somewhere like AUA or SJSM sorry but that is the way it can be, it is cut throat to get in at times and cheating is a big black mark

so wait even if i have a cheating XF, ur saying im not gonna get into the carribean medical schools? 3.3-3.4 and im thinking about a 28-30 on mcats based on practice with a whole rack of ec's??

so wait even if i have a cheating XF, ur saying im not gonna get into the carribean medical schools? 3.3-3.4 and im thinking about a 28-30 on mcats based on practice with a whole rack of ec's??

I don't think anyone here, with the exception of an adcom, can claim anything for sure. However, you have an XF, which I gather means you failed a class because of academic dishonesty. That's a huge red flag on your application. It's likely to overshadow your other accomplishments, or at least signficantly tarnish your otherwise decent application. I'm not an adcom, so I can only make guesses, but it seems to me that the conventional wisdom is that failure due to academic dishonesty is taken very seriously by medical schools and it can be a limiting factor in the medical school application process. It may even be the determining factor.

While your situation is serious, it can be overcome. Do a search in the pre-allo forum. There was one guy who was able to beat it, but it wasn't easy. Most say that you need to put some time between you and the event and show that you've matured and learned your lesson. Do your best to show that you understand your mistake and learned from it.

Good luck.

Look not to panic you but yes this is serious almost as bad a felony (with a felony you can not be lic in the US) I'm sorry but so many young people do not think think these things are a big deal, guess what, you are wrong they are.

It can be overcome you may still luck out.:cool:

cheating = DUI....a headache you want to avoid at all costs try your best to get them to just give you a straight up F or if you pull some magic an Incomplete but it all depends on the school...

cheating = DUI....a headache you want to avoid at all costs try your best to get them to just give you a straight up F or if you pull some magic an Incomplete but it all depends on the school...

Well Cheating will not keep you from a License just a school.

so i know you guys either are in the carribean or went there or know something about it, i know a couple of people who have gotten an XF and gotten into the top 3-4 carribean med schools, ross auc george and saba, is it just that you guys are guessing or you kno that i should take a year off?

because i can have it removed in 1 year which would be my senior year first semester. that would mean i cant apply untill summer of senior year tho