Hey hey SDN! Grade replacement Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyropig

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I understand that you can retake any of your classes and get the grade replaced when all is said and done and your apps go out. However I have one situation I'm......confused on. So I took calc like 3 years ago and got a C. My adviser said no way that would not work and to retake it again, along with O-Chem, Physics, Molecular BIO, and biochem. That's a ridiculously hard schedule for a 19 year old sophomore (at the time). So I was pretty much failing calc and the adviser said don't worry about it, quit showing up, take the F and retake it later. Well that was when I was all about being an MD, before I discovered Osteopathy. Anyways I was mad and just decided to move ahead and forget about it as MD schools average everything together. Now are the DO schools going to accept my best attempt? Or will they only take the F? I'm in the midst of retaking classes and repairing my GPA from my less than stellar performance as a young college student. I'll retake it if I have to, but it would be nice to know what to expect. Thanks dudes!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I understand that you can retake any of your classes and get the grade replaced when all is said and done and your apps go out. However I have one situation I'm......confused on. So I took calc like 3 years ago and got a C. My adviser said no way that would not work and to retake it again, along with O-Chem, Physics, Molecular BIO, and biochem. That's a ridiculously hard schedule for a 19 year old sophomore (at the time). So I was pretty much failing calc and the adviser said don't worry about it, quit showing up, take the F and retake it later. Well that was when I was all about being an MD, before I discovered Osteopathy. Anyways I was mad and just decided to move ahead and forget about it as MD schools average everything together. Now are the DO schools going to accept my best attempt? Or will they only take the F? I'm in the midst of retaking classes and repairing my GPA from my less than stellar performance as a young college student. I'll retake it if I have to, but it would be nice to know what to expect. Thanks dudes!!

First off that is a pretty fail adviser.

Anyway. The way applying to osteopathic medical schools work is through the primary application service called AACOMAS. You will need to fill out under the coursework section all the grades that you have received from all institutions attended and work completed. If you retake the grade, there will be a section where you can mark it off as a retake.

For example: Retake Scenario. The first grade for General Chemistry was an "F". This would be recorded as thus. But next to it you would select R01. Then for the retaken grade for General Chemistry you would put "A" and L01.

There will be an sGPA and a cGPA figure somewhere that will only factor into its calculation the "A" grade and not the F. But both grades will be shown on your application.

First off that is a pretty fail adviser.

Anyway. The way applying to osteopathic medical schools work is through the primary application service called AACOMAS. You will need to fill out under the coursework section all the grades that you have received from all institutions attended and work completed. If you retake the grade, there will be a section where you can mark it off as a retake.

For example: Retake Scenario. The first grade for General Chemistry was an "F". This would be recorded as thus. But next to it you would select R01. Then for the retaken grade for General Chemistry you would put "A" and L01.

There will be an sGPA and a cGPA figure somewhere that will only factor into its calculation the "A" grade and not the F. But both grades will be shown on your application.
Dude if you only knew how much of a fail she actually is. She can sell you on anything like a very good used car salesman (no offense to used car salesmen lol). So even if they can see both grades, since the "F" was the retaken grade is that the one that's going to count? My upward grade trend is exceptional, so I'm not concerned about them seeing both grades. I'm really banking on them forgiving a kid who was not such a good student at 18-19 years old and a superior student at 22-24. I just don't know If I need to retake it so the retake grade won't be....an "F".

Members don't see this ad :)
They will see both grades but the calculated sGPA and cGPA will be with the new grade.

Another thing to keep in mind (you may already know but I'll state it anyway) is that all pre-req classes (gen chem, ochem, physics, gen bio) need to be a C or better for most if not all medical schools to accept your application.

RETAKE Calc. If your last attempt was an F, that's the one that will count. Retake immediately.

Even though the DO schools replace grades, MDs do not. In case you didn't know.

Even though the DO schools replace grades, MDs do not. In case you didn't know.
I knew, that's why I never retook it for fear of anything besides an A. The game has changed now I'm a substantially more mature student and have hit that level of academic maturity to get the A's in these difficult courses. Now I'm just working on replacing my bad grades from my not so stellar early college career.

Do any of you know how the units translate from a quarter to semester system? I'm trying to retake my last quarter of Gen Chem and the last quarter of Ochem, but the city college is on a semester system so therefore only have 2 classes in a series (vs 3 classes in a series at my ugrad university).

Gen Chem lecture at university was 3 quarter units (and seperate lab for 2 units)

Gen Chem lecture at CC is 5 semester units (lecture plus lab)

And the last quarter of Ochem at my university was 4 quarter units, and the 2nd class in the CC Ochem series is only 3 units.

Anyone know if these are acceptable retakes, unit wise?